Join Early Retirement Today

2 Years In to RE - View Out My Office Window
Old 06-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2 Years In to RE - View Out My Office Window

My second anniversary arrived very much like my first official day of retirement. Back then I was starting out on a 3-month trip on my own boat.

This time, I was doing a delivery of someone else's boat. Deliveries are a gig or "side hustle" I'm experimenting with.

It occurred to me that this workstation, and the view looking out this office window, are both MUCH better than when I was doing real w*rk:

I'll be back with my promised two-year check in once I've had a chance to run the numbers.

Feel free to add your own "out the office window" pics!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #2

Sounds like a great “side hustle.” Beautiful shot!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
“Office” Window
Old 06-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #3

“Office” Window

If I’m sitting on the deck @ my computer, does that count as an “office window?”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1707E6AB-10B2-4ECD-ADB8-28A7CC75C79E.jpg (832.5 KB, 141 views)
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 03:58 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Very nice. Did you get your Captain's license after you retired?
conversationalphrase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 04:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
If I’m sitting on the deck @ my computer, does that count as an “office window?”
Here's my "office window". Maybe not as spectacular as some, but for me the view of my back yard is the best view ever. For one thing, it's not from a high rise office building. Not only that, but quite honestly I love the variety out in my yard, due to changing seasons and weather. As you can see, it looks tremendously different depending on if the weather is sunny, stormy, or foggy, or at sunset on a nice summer's day. I didn't include the sunset photo though. Got to stop somewhere. The door that you see is the entry to my detached garage, and right next to that door is the standard huge garage door.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg yard1.jpg (35.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg yard2.jpg (30.5 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg yard3.jpg (26.3 KB, 119 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #6

Nice responses! I was hoping for a variety of different perspectives.

Thanks and keep them coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by conversationalphrase View Post
Very nice. Did you get your Captain's license after you retired?
I've had it over 10 years. Technically, what's commonly called a "Captain's License" is really a merchant mariner credential, issued for the capacity of "Master." The moniker "Capt" was kind of an inside joke among the class I graduated with. Some folks have a problem with that, since I haven't earned the rank of "Captain" in the context of a military command structure. But that can also be said for a captain in the fire department, or the cheerleading squad, so I don't feel too bad it.

The idea was to have options for gigs like this after retirement. I did a lot of research before retirement, and am now in the experimentation phase to see if it's something I'd enjoy. So far, it's proven to be a nice diversion with both challenges and great learning experience.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Here's my "office window". Maybe not as spectacular as some, but for me the view of my back yard is the best view ever.
Your garden people do a good job on the grass. It is so green and even. No wonder you like looking out.

I keep getting flyers left on my door for TrueGreen and the like. And they're NOT on everybody's door Shame-advertising!
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:46 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Two years for me. My first year goal was to just play. I hadn't had a summer off since I graduated from eighth grade. I pretty much did what I did when I was 13 years old. I walked and visited with friends, swam in the lake, went bike riding, went to concerts and plays in the park. After my great summer in the city, DH and I went on a three month RV trip visiting Civil War sites up and down the East Coast. After checking on the homestead we fulfilled another bucket list item, First Class vacation in Japan.

Second year goal was to continue to travel, get in shape, and garden. I mostly met my goals. We went hiking in New Zealand for five weeks and took the RV on a three week tour of the Western Theater of the Civil War. Getting both myself and the garden in shape are still in process.

Starting year three, I'm making getting in shape and gardening higher priorities. Travel will include a short jaunt to Universal Studios, Orlando with DS, a week in northern Wisconsin, A visit to DS in Texas, and a week in Colorado. These are all trips with others so building/maintaining relationships is one focus. I would like to fit in a trip north to see the Aurora Borealis.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:28 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

FIRE'd almost three years and this is my view most days. Not exactly my back yard but just minutes away including the paddling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (113.4 KB, 71 views)
Old 06-11-2018, 05:12 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
FIRE'd almost three years and this is my view most days. Not exactly my back yard but just minutes away including the paddling.
Looks relaxing. Possible alligators in settings like this near me.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:21 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Your garden people do a good job on the grass. It is so green and even. No wonder you like looking out.
Thank you! To be honest, the grass has never been watered, fed, or treated for weeds. It doesn't need any of that in the hot, rainy, humid, subtropical climate here in New Orleans. Grass down here grows unbelievably fast and thick. All my lawn guy does is mow and edge.

That said, I haven't always lived here and I love the way it looks, too. So, thanks.

View Out My Current "Office" Window - Costa Ballena Costa Rica
Old 06-11-2018, 05:50 PM   #12

View Out My Current "Office" Window - Costa Ballena Costa Rica

IMG_0227.jpg
Old 06-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

From Tennessee - I can see all the way to L.A.

On a clear day.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6254.jpg (373.3 KB, 70 views)
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:30 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijuba View Post
On a clear day.

L.A. = Lower Alabama.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:47 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Is there a different L.A.?
ijuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 04:42 PM   #16

Here's my view. It's overcast today and looks nicer when the sun is out. But, it's my RE view and I love it.

CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Looks relaxing. Possible alligators in settings like this near me.
Dtail,

Me kayaking in SW FL. Never saw any 'gators. S'pose there's always a first time.

Not exactly sure why they'd be interested in a large plastic boat and its contents.

omni
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Vera Kayaking 2 11.19.15.jpeg (391.8 KB, 58 views)
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post
Here's my view. It's overcast today and looks nicer when the sun is out. But, it's my RE view and I love it.
Very nice!

Old 06-12-2018, 07:15 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
Dtail,

Me kayaking in SW FL. Never saw any 'gators. S'pose there's always a first time.

Not exactly sure why they'd be interested in a large plastic boat and its contents.

omni
Actually when I was in Hillsborough State Park, there were people kayaking in a similar setting and I saw an approximate 7 foot alligator about 100 yards ahead of them.
Changed my mind about kayaking that day. lol
Old 06-13-2018, 04:26 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

On a not so clear evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 8.43.21 PM.jpg (819.8 KB, 58 views)
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote