2022 workout thread

Today was my first team Ruck, a new addition to my cross-training.

More intensive than walking, easier on my knees compared to running and gives me a chance to rest my pickleball shoulder.

https://fitatmidlife.com/what-is-rucking/
Glad you posted this. I've decided I need to walk the camino santiago next year- at least 300 if not the whole 500 miles. I'm going to be training with a backpack. Didn't know there was a word for it.

Today I volunteered at a physical therapy facility that works with handicapped kids and horses. 25000 steps up and down hills in the Alabama heat. It was brutal.

Time to switch up the workouts from endurance and start prepping for high intensity Cyclocross (CX) race season. CX is an hour long cardio intensive bike race held in the Fall on a closed course of grass and dirt … and sometimes mud and sand! Each lap is usually a couple kilometers long.

Prep is higher intensity intervals and core workout at the gym. Followed by time relearning essential race skills (starts, off camber turns, cornering, barriers) on my CX bike.

The most important CX skill to relearn is the art of grabbing a “beer hand up”. Spectators will tempt you with a Dixie cup usually filled with craft beer. Late in the race when heart rate is red-lined only the most skilled racer can grab that beer at race speed, down it, and discard the cup in one smooth movement before grabbing handlebars with both hands for the next turn. I usually end up wearing the beer!!! Hand ups are not limited to beer. Last season I downed a Dixie cup of “Fireball” whiskey as a hand up. That one burned for a couple laps!

Got out early today … to beat the heat … on my CX bike. A flat tire slowed me up so limped home and took a long nap on the sofa. Managed a late afternoon trip to the air conditioned gym for an hour of intervals on the treadmill and a quick dip in the pool to cool down.

Back
Top Bottom