Join Early Retirement Today

2022 workout thread
Old 01-01-2022, 11:51 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

2022 workout thread

I started workout thread in 2021, partly as incentive for me to keep working out regularly, and also for others to chime in if they felt like. It lasted 2 - 3 months before fading away. I'm hoping to do better this year!!

I'm already off to a rough start because we scrambled to leave for Florida a day early (from the cold Canadian prairies) due to an incoming storm and I forgot to bring a set of dumbbells. There's nothing reasonably priced around here so I'm going to make do without some much needed equipment. However, the Airbnb we're currently staying in has an exercise bike so I can use that until we move to our next place.

Feel free to post your workouts!!

Today's workout:
- walk 55 minutes
- exercise bike 10 minutes
- 60 pushups (3 sets of 20)
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2022, 01:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I will join in.

1.17 mile outdoor walk with DH before the winter storm blew in
1 hour of yoga, using a video from my favorite yoga teacher
Old 01-01-2022, 02:03 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

My 10,000 (+ or - a few) steps will be ongoing daily. I never miss. Ask my dog....
Old 01-01-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Just turned 68 today. Play tennis 3-4 time a week for 1.5 hours each time. Wife and I do a 45 min. strength training every other day. Do 2 sets presses, leg extensions, pull down bar, leg curls, arm curls, triceps push down bar, rowing, flys and raises with dumbells. Oh, and walk the dog most days.
sheldon cornped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 03:50 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon cornped View Post
Just turned 68 today. Play tennis 3-4 time a week for 1.5 hours each time. Wife and I do a 45 min. strength training every other day. Do 2 sets presses, leg extensions, pull down bar, leg curls, arm curls, triceps push down bar, rowing, flys and raises with dumbells. Oh, and walk the dog most days.
Happy birthday!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheldon cornped View Post
Happy Birthday and keep up the good workouts!
Old 01-01-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I’ve been walking every day for cardio for years, but nagging elbow and knee pains ended my resistance strength training a couple months ago. Recovery from injuries take SO MUCH longer as a senior, hate that. I’ve ramped up walking to 10-20K steps day (golf on the 20K step days) and just resumed Waterrower every other day (golf days off) about a month ago. Hopefully I can stick with it and resume resistance band workouts.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 04:56 PM   #8

Alright. Subscribed. I've fallen off the wagon at the end of the year and need some motivation. Today, I shoveled the driveway and didn't to much more. Sadly sitting at 5,277 steps which is half what I typically get. TO be fair though we did have a high of -7 today. Yesterday I didn't do much better and the day before managed to go on a very short walk. I gotta get over this hump. I had an 8 pack back in September, lost it completely. Its insane how quick it can happen.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:59 PM   #9

You know what, screw it...I'm done feeling sorry for myself. My sister passed away in September and ever since I've had zero motivation, after setting a PR on my bicycle the day we buried her I literally stopped. I'm getting on the treadmill right now after I am done typing this. Jogging 30 minutes. Its time to turn this around.

I have been ice skating with my kids, and doing some in-line skating at US Bank Stadium but its not enough. The buck stops here. THANK YOU Music Lover for the motivation.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:02 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

I swear by my Beachbody on Demand subscription. So much variety, and I can do it anywhere if I have my phone. Today was "lower fix" with Autumn Calabrese. She's the one I do the most. Love mixing it up, weights, cardio, yoga, pilates, barre... It's all good!

I'm not much of an outdoor person except for the proverbial long walks on the beach in the summer. BOD definitely gets me thru the northeast winters.

Did a deep clean on my bedroom today too so that counts. I like this thread it will keep me motivated!
casole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:07 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtest View Post
You know what, screw it...I'm done feeling sorry for myself. My sister passed away in September and ever since I've had zero motivation, after setting a PR on my bicycle the day we buried her I literally stopped. I'm getting on the treadmill right now after I am done typing this. Jogging 30 minutes. Its time to turn this around.

I have been ice skating with my kids, and doing some in-line skating at US Bank Stadium but its not enough. The buck stops here. THANK YOU Music Lover for the motivation.
I'm so very sorry for your loss kgtest. Don't be hard on yourself, in your own time, you will get back into it.
casole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:03 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

3 mile walk to the local cemetery today. Our plan is 5 miles a day in January. Also cutting out alcohol and meat this month.
Jim59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 06:38 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by casole View Post
I'm so very sorry for your loss kgtest. Don't be hard on yourself, in your own time, you will get back into it.
I appreciate the kind words casole! I managed to get a little workout in and it felt glorious. She was far too young at 47, single mom, leaving 3 young kids behind to figure out all the hard stuff without her.

3 miles in 31 minutes. It wasn't pretty but with time and consistency it will get easier.

It was kind of cute, my 3 little ones came down to support me and started "working out" with daddy. Watching my 1 and a half year old do squats alongside me was hilarious and oddly motivating.
Old 01-01-2022, 07:07 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

My biggest challenge is getting my workout in the morning. When I wait until the afternoon the workout gets inconsistent as the demands of the day unfold. Let's see how I do manana.
Retire52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 08:09 PM   #15

Are there any other Peloton members here? I started cycling on a Peloton during the pandemic in 2020 and have found it a great way to exercise and stay motivated without any excuses (weather, etc).

I finished 2021 with about 10,500 minutes of cycling and worked out 285 days during the year (Peloton provides these stats at the end of the year). I have also added strength, stretching and meditation classes to my cycling workouts.

I have found this to be a great way to stay active and motivated and be able to work out any time of the day (I still work ). There is even a competitive aspect to the workouts if you choose to use the leaderboard to compare your efforts to other riders. I usually am in the Top 40-50% of all riders and top 1/3 of riders in their 60s on rides. Not bad for an old guy.

If there are any other members here please feel free to follow me.
#Luvtoride40
See you on the Leaderboard.
Brian
Old 01-01-2022, 08:58 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

10,000 steps a day
100+ hikes of 5+ miles per year
Weights 3 times a week
Biking in summer

This is the same as last year, but doing more weights this year.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 12:02 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Okay, here we go.

Weighed myself this morning. I’m 8lbs heavier than last year. I love exercise and outdoor activities, so that isn’t the issue. I need to refocus my eating as that was the problem in 2021. I have my annual exam this week and am concerned what my blood work will reveal.

No alcohol in January (I’m a wine drinker)
Get back on my GF regimen.
Cut back on sweets/junk food
Drink more water

I started 30 day push-up challenge today
Continue gym workouts 5-6 days week (cardio, strength, agility/flexibility)
Get back to longer walks/hikes with my dog
Learn how to do a pull-up

I love the new year. Allows for a reset!
Old 01-02-2022, 05:01 AM   #18

A few years ago I became limited in what I can do for exercise. The only exercise now is cycling and balance issues limit that to riding a recumbent trike. 2021 I rode a total of 3000 miles. The previous year was 3200 and the years before were quite a bit less. I have to ride in the morning or else it won't get done. The plan is to increase mileage from last year. We'll see.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2022, 06:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I plan to do intermittent sprints on the exercise cycle (weather is too lousy for an outside ride) and then weights (pull ups, pushups, planks, curls). Final for the day will be some Parkinson's specific range of motion and voice exercises.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:26 AM   #20

Thanks for doing this, Music Lover. I've been OK about exercising, but I've been seriously overeating the holiday leftovers. I did do my hour of weekly yoga yesterday, and plan to get in my 30 minutes of daily cardio on the elliptical today. That's usually it for me, but if I stick to my diet (on MyFitnessPal), I should be able to get my weight back down to my pre-holiday point in a month or two.