Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Prior to Medicare, how do you get Health Insurance
From former employer 12 41.38%
Pay for high deductible plan 9 31.03%
Have plan with Medical Savings Account 1 3.45%
I do without and cross my fingers and pray often 1 3.45%
My country has socialized medicine 2 6.90%
Get individual insurance with a low deductible under our state's risk pool 2 6.90%
Cobra/From employer but I pay the premiums 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

2nd Health Insurance Poll in Fire
Old 07-20-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2nd Health Insurance Poll in Fire

2nd question.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: 2nd Health Insurance Poll in Fire
Old 07-20-2005, 09:35 PM   #2

I don't think there is a shortage of individual health insurance plans available -- high-deductible is just one flavor. I went for a high-deductible plan because we're relatively young and in good health. Also, many states have a high-risk pooled insurance for those who can't get an individual plan.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:33 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Great poll idea but I am none of the above. I will get individual insurance with a low deductible under our state's risk pool. Have to buy too many drugs for a high deductible plan to make sense.

Also, the high deductible plan and health savings accounts often go together.

Wanderer a while ago worked on a list of different health plan options for an early retiree. http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2508.0

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:08 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Great poll idea but I am none of the above.* I will get individual insurance with a low deductible under our state's risk pool.* Have to buy too many drugs for a high deductible plan to make sense.

Also, the high deductible plan and health savings accounts often go together.

Wanderer a while ago worked on a list of different health plan options for an early retiree.* *http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=2508.0
I know all states are different but I was able to buy a policy with BC/BS of MS with low doctor and drug copays, 10k deductible and a 2 mil lifetime max.* I'm 50 and the premium is 150/mo. I thought that was a pretty good deal. Our risk pool plan has a 500k lifetime max and would cost me around 500/mo.

I bought the plan and dropped our company coverage. It has been watered down so many times it was not very good anyway. I'm very thankful I was approved as it has enabled me to continue with my early retirement plans.(12/31/06)*
Old 07-21-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Good plan, Dog50. It makes a lot of sense to shop for an individual plan when you are healthy. So if I understand your plan correctly, even though it is a high deductible plan, you only have to pay a copay for drugs?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
Good plan, Dog50.* It makes a lot of sense to shop for an individual plan when you are healthy.* *So if I understand your plan correctly, even though it is a high deductible plan, you only have to pay a copay for drugs?*
Yes, that is correct. $5 for generic, $20 for preferred. There is a $50 annual deductible on drugs. Also get one free annual check up per year. Otherwise a $15 doc copay. So I really get the best of both worlds.*
Old 07-21-2005, 07:30 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Still no insurance - if I get sick enough to spend my portfolio - ER's gonna suck anyway.

I have better things to spend my money on than to support the American medical system.

BTY - no homeowners insurance either. Car insurance is manditory - have considered posting bond in the past - but it was too much of a pain in the but.

Do carry liability insurance.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #8

I also don't fit the poll selections.
I will continue to receive the company health/dental insurance for the next 2 months.
If I remain in NY for the following 18 months, I will continue with the same insurance through Cobra @ $524/month
After that, I will hopefully be in a state that will offer high deductable for under $200/month.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

We get it from previous employer, per se, but since DH retired we are responsible for paying the full premium of $1027 per month.

When the open enrollment time comes around again in Oct. we may switch from a PPO to an HMO since it will be approx. $150 less per month.

And come Jan 1st we're looking into HSAs with a $5200 deductible.
kz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 04:08 PM   #10

TRICARE - a military retiree perk. Have used it for past 28 months and am reasonably happy with it.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:13 PM   #11

I just signed up for Cobra for July and August.* I applied for individual policys for us, and if denied will use the conversion plan which is priced somewhere between Cobra and an individual plan for September and afterwards.*

Cobra for the 3 of us is 713.10 for Medical alone.* I elected to not take Dental at all (107.67 monthly) and took Vision at 37.66 for July so we can have our annual exams paid this year.*

This will give me time to figure out something else.....

KB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
health insurance