37% fewer moved to Florida in 2007 than 2006

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I thought I would post this separately as so many of us have been mentioning relocating to Florida. This is from retirementliving.com:

Newsletter

37% is no small thing. Seems like a good time to get a deal. Maybe even better in 2009? 2010?

I thought I would post this separately as so many of us have been mentioning relocating to Florida. This is from retirementliving.com:

Newsletter

37% is no small thing. Seems like a good time to get a deal. Maybe even better in 2009? 2010?
an unintended result of your post...from within your newsletter site, i found a list of states and taxes levied at Retirement Living - Taxes by State: New York - Wyoming

and of course my eyeballs are rolling over the NY tax asessment (where I live). Hmmmmm...gotta find a worse state so i feel a little better.

thanks for the link!

You still need to be able to afford the insurance. It's brutal in Florida and getting more brutal.

Not really. Ours went down $600 this year. Still expensive, but not getting "more brutal." Same with property taxes. There is no state income tax.

If someone wants to move to Florida, I would not let those aspects dissuade them. We estimate it costs us less to live here (taxes, insurance, etc.) than it did in Wisconsin, perhaps a bit more than it did in Tucson.

I am really surprised that more baby boomers aren't descending upon Florida in droves, hoping to snap up a bargain in the real estate slump there for retirement.

I am really surprised that more baby boomers aren't descending upon Florida in droves, hoping to snap up a bargain in the real estate slump there for retirement.

Just because something sold for more at an earlier time does not MAKE it a bargain today. I would keep that in mind if you're going to be in the market in the next few years.

Shhhhhhh.
That's my plan next fall.

Isn't all of Florida supposed to be underwater in about 15 years due to global warming?

I would take that into consideration before buying property for retirement in Florida. Or south Texas, or Louisiana. Or maybe even Hawaii. Hawaii is going to lose about 80% of it's sandy beaches if global warming fears come to fruition.

University of Florida News - UF research: Florida’s population growth slows but still remains high

The estimates released this week show the Sunshine State’s population grew by 331,000 between 2006 and 2007, compared with 431,000 between 2005 and 2006; 402,000 between 2004 and 2005; and 448,000 between 2003 and 2004, Smith said..

Based on recent trends, Smith said he expects Florida to add about 300,000 residents a year during the next two to three years unless there is a recession...

Typically, Florida attracts about 8 percent or 9 percent of the nation’s immigrants in a year, he said...

What is considered a slow year for population growth in Florida would be considered a fast year for most states,” he said. “Between 1990 and 2000, no county in Florida lost population, which is unusual considering that typically 30 (percent) to 40 percent of the nation’s counties lose population during any particular decade.”

Freebird5825: Try Maine and Vermont: Taxes by State

Of course, this is for 2007. You could also search The Tax Federation for 2008 figures.
Look at it this way, NY has so many more biz opportunities than Maine and Vermont. That is worth something.

I think the prediction is something like 50 years "some" of Florida's coastline is to go bye-bye...but, hey! I'm still waiting for that huge earthquake to hit L.A. that was predicted when California was booming in the mid-'60's (the reason I didn't move there...she says shaking her head and feeling like a total fool). I think I have been hearing about Florida losing some ground since I was in elementary school...and I'm in my 60's now.
Now I'm waiting for the tsunami that is to hit Hawaii...sigh.

Last edited:
Freebird5825: Try Maine and Vermont: Taxes by State

Of course, this is for 2007. You could also search The Tax Federation for 2008 figures.
Look at it this way, NY has so many more biz opportunities than Maine and Vermont. That is worth something.

I think the prediction is something like 50 years "some" of Florida's coastline is to go bye-bye...but, hey! I'm still waiting for that huge earthquake to hit L.A. that was predicted when California was booming in the mid-'60's (the reason I didn't move there...she says shaking her head and feeling like a total fool). I think I have been hearing about Florida losing some ground since I was in elementary school...and I'm in my 60's now.
Now I'm waiting for the tsunami that is to hit Hawaii...sigh.
yes, thanks.

i started a new thread - Tax Rant I, which is still going strong last time i checked.

i forgot who (you!) posted the newsletter link, and then i couldn't find your post again. i'm still a relative greenhorn on navigating this site.

I was born in NY and I still plan to live in NY. just not forever. :)

I :smitten:NY. it's a great vacation (from keeping your own money).

Florida seems to be getting way too crowded,every time i go to see Mom and Dad north of Tampa its like crazy traffic every where you go.If i didnt have this Canadian/ American border to deal with i'd probably be looking for a nice community in North Carolina.

In our small neighborhood in Central Florida there are two new places sitting empty, both owned by retirees that can't sell their places up north. They are trapped.

In our small neighborhood in Central Florida there are two new places sitting empty, both owned by retirees that can't sell their places up north. They are trapped.

I'm also in central Florida, and I've had my house in Florida for 5 years now. When it came time to sell my house in NY I just kept lowering the price till it sold. No one is trapped, price sells houses. I sold mine in Dec. of 2006 in NY.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom