Join Early Retirement Today

4 years in…
Old 10-23-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

4 years in…

It has been an interesting ride for the past 4 years…and I cannot believe it has been 4 years already. I was so nervous to leave the comfort of a j*b and wade in to the unknown of no j*b and then what?

Anyway, I took the plunge and except for a few times, have not looked back. I was so worried about the little things that I forgot to enjoy freedom. Finally I began to realize that freedom is indeed great so started to learn more about me.

I started a dog business that soon became extremely successful. And will be retiring from that at the end of this year And the best thing is I discovered i am quite creative. Have gotten into all things art and even started a small side business with my art. Never ever had the time to do anything like that when working as there was never 1) enough time or 2) enough bandwidth. That is what working does to you: it does not allow time for anything else to seep into your brain but work and meetings and people and….well you get the picture!

So to close I am very happy to simply have freedom to choose what I want to do when I want to do it. FI is the big first step; all the rest is self-discovery and finding out what really brings you joy!

Thanks to this forum for always being there and having the best people offering the best advice for anyone nervous about the leap!
Kristinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2021, 07:54 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great to hear of your ongoing successes. Congratulations.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 01:45 AM   #3

Awesome to hear success stories. You inspire all of us!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 02:30 AM   #4

Really great. I'm in the retirement red zone. Juggling OMY and putting finishing touches on a few major financial aspirations. But by next August every day is a decision.

Good to get another voice from great beyond saying it will go ok when I pull the pin!
Old 10-24-2021, 05:51 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinia View Post
Thanks to this forum for always being there and having the best people offering the best advice for anyone nervous about the leap!
+1. This forum and people's advice helped me to take the leap also. Congrats on a great first 4 years!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closet_Gamer View Post
Really great. I'm in the retirement red zone. Juggling OMY and putting finishing touches on a few major financial aspirations. But by next August every day is a decision.

Good to get another voice from great beyond saying it will go ok when I pull the pin!

As everyone posted before, if the numbers work, do it! Granted I'm only 3 months in but the thought of a job is less and less appealing... I still wouldn't mind a gig bringing in some cash but the freedom is amazing and hard to describe. It's like being a kid but no pressure to grow up or looming need to find a way to support yourself (paid that bill!) and decide what you want to be.. you just BE!

I'm busier now that when w*rking...when working I was too tired to do things I want to do and it was more work, decompress, work. Now I have the energy but still limited by the clock and calendar! The days fly by!
Old 10-24-2021, 06:08 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on a smooth transition into retirement, well done. Having something to retire to is more important than something to retire from, as your example shows.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 06:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinia View Post
And the best thing is I discovered i am quite creative. Have gotten into all things art and even started a small side business with my art. Never ever had the time to do anything like that when working as there was never 1) enough time or 2) enough bandwidth. That is what working does to you: it does not allow time for anything else to seep into your brain but work and meetings and people and….well you get the picture!

Yes! I am working my right brain and it is great. I used to be creative as a kid but then that was repressed by adult responsibilities (quit art as an elective when it was that or drivers ed!). I pulled out old cheap acrylic paint and have been playing around with it and it is a lot of fun. I've mentioned elsewhere taking guitar lessons as well. Almost everything I do now is either creative or active. I'm living the life!
Old 10-24-2021, 07:10 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Congrats on 4 years of retirement. Aug 1st was 4 years for us.
Yup, there is lots of time to think about expanding one's horizons.
Old 10-24-2021, 07:45 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

A smooth transition has a plan and well done. I can't agree more on the advise and confidence the people here have to offer. So many here prepared me for my last day of work.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:26 AM   #11

Congrats!

It sounds like you experienced the one thing I feared most about retiring: That I'd find another gig I liked doing and became successful at, and I'd realize I should have been doing that all along instead of working a "real" job.

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, that didn't happen to me. Five years in and I still don't know how I ever found the time to work. The only "fun" paid gigs I've done are highly competitive (who doesn't want to get paid to have fun?) and if I got serious about doing them more often I can see it would become just another job.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 09:54 AM   #12
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Congrats!

It sounds like you experienced the one thing I feared most about retiring: That I'd find another gig I liked doing and became successful at, and I'd realize I should have been doing that all along instead of working a "real" job.

Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, that didn't happen to me. Five years in and I still don't know how I ever found the time to work. The only "fun" paid gigs I've done are highly competitive (who doesn't want to get paid to have fun?) and if I got serious about doing them more often I can see it would become just another job.
Indeed which is exactly what happened with the dog business. It went from just walking a few dogs to almost a full time gig. I currently have 3 dogs we are boarding which is why it did become a job and why I am retiring at the end of this year The art thing though is fun and has so far not turned into a job!
Kristinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:31 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Glad you are enjoying your retirement.
It's all about being able to do what you want when you want and having fun.