Join Early Retirement Today

55+ Community - Near the Clubhouse or Further Away?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:02 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

55+ Community - Near the Clubhouse or Further Away?

Hi. DW and I are making a move to a 55+ Community and are ready to
select a lot. Near the front of the community is the clubhouse with a pool
out back. The three lots we're considering are:

1) one of the houses on the street that runs aroud the perimeter of the
clubhouse - with the backyard facing out towards the pool

2) one of the houses a block further back (so there would be a row of houses between the front of our house and the pool/clubhouse. The rear of this house would be facing nothing for now - with a row of houses to be built later, so our backyard would face the backyard of these new houses.

3) a house even further back in the community where there looks to be that there would be less construction going on, but it's removed from the heart of the community.

So we're undecided whether living in #1, or even #2 would be too noisy given the clubhouse and the pool or whether it's better to live "where the action is". Also, concerned about living through the construction of houses in the back of #2 - from both a noise and aesthetic standpoint (they tell us that will be the last section built - so it would be a year or two, I'd imagine). That said, our goal is lifestyle and making new friends - so don't want to be too removed from things.

Any advice from those who live in such a community?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 04:19 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That’s a very personal thing. We are delighted to be far from the clubhouse. But if you like to where the action is, then you might like being close. How social/gregarious/extroverted are you and or your wife? Do you really like peace and quiet?
Old 07-09-2020, 04:30 AM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

If there are pickleball or tennis courts around the clubhouse there is a lot of noise early in the morning. I would not want to be near that.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:33 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
That’s a very personal thing. We are delighted to be far from the clubhouse. But if you like to where the action is, then you might like being close. How social/gregarious/extroverted are you and or your wife? Do you really like peace and quiet?
+1, there’s no one right answer, depends on you. We’d never buy right next to the clubhouse (we actually passed on a very nice house for that exact reason) because:
  • you can spend as much time there as you’d like (from within walking distance a block away)
  • BUT you can’t get away from the noise if you live right next to it. Will there be overflow car parking on the street near the clubhouse?
And while you might like being “where the action is” now, that could change as the years go by. You’re going to be there seven days a week for as long as you’re in the house - forever home? If you ever don’t like it, you’re stuck.

And construction won’t last forever, I wouldn’t prioritize that in choosing.

We live several blocks from our clubhouse, perfect for us - we can walk there whenever we like. Even thought they live close, lots of our neighbors drive and park cars near our clubhouse because they have lots of pool stuff they don’t want to carry walking.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:39 AM   #5
gone traveling

My own personal take is to pick the quiet #3 where peaceful mornings on the porch with a coffee are possible without construction, or sports activity noise happening.

You can always walk to the clubhouse, immerse yourself in daily community activities, or arrange outings with your neighbors.

I enjoy my 10 acres in the middle of no-where, and have no plans of being social, so good luck !
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 04:43 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would take #2 - a block further back with future construction behind it. Living next to the clubhouse would be noisy forever, living next to the construction of a row of houses would be noisy for only a few months.

We had a snowbird townhouse that had an easy 200' walk to the community pool. We were secluded from it, yet close to it. No way that I would want to be looking out my house directly into the pool area.

While you may think that living next to the clubhouse would be fun, keep in mind that residents in the club constantly change, so at times there will be a lot of strangers in the clubhouse. And can some of the houses in your development be short term rented? Nothing worse than short term renters invading your space.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 05:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom52 View Post
If there are pickleball or tennis courts around the clubhouse there is a lot of noise early in the morning. I would not want to be near that.
+1 although one usually doesn't have to be that far from the center of noise in order not to hear it.
We are 2 blocks from the clubhouse and do not hear any noise from the activities around it.
However, there is a house which is a half block from us which complains about the basketball courts. We don't hear it.

A year in and half ago before we bought our current house, the back of our house faced the tennis courts. It was somewhat annoying and wouldn't do that again.
Old 07-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Based on what I've observed in my Mom's 55+ community, I would be as far from the club house as possible. And you'll need a golf cart to go back and forth if it's further than you'd like to walk carrying a dish of potato salad. I would not like to be near/looking at the pool. Too many kids visit Grandma and Grandpa and spend the entire day in the pool. It's not just Grandma doing her water aerobics class.

Seriously, the 2nd choice sounds far enough away (perhaps ideal). But based on the upcoming construction, I'd probably choose #3. You'll still meet the people of the community with no issues. They have all sorts of social events at the clubhouse and everyone goes out walking or riding bikes in the mornings/evenings where you'll see them on the streets.

Enjoy.
PaunchyPirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaunchyPirate View Post
Too many kids visit Grandma and Grandpa and spend the entire day in the pool. It's not just Grandma doing her water aerobics class.
Marco!!!
Polo!!!

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #10
gone traveling

Not a lover of noise, so it would be #2 for me. Putting up with 3-6 months of construction is not permanent. However, if there was a significant buffer zone between #1's backyard with wall/fence/screening shrubs and the club house/pool it might be a different answer.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:15 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Just for giggles how are these lots priced? Same price or some premiums built into the cost..
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #12

I never want to back onto another house again. I want some sort of a view. A neighbor 20 yards away can make plenty of noise.

And with the open lots in options 2 and 3, i'd be concerned about the layouts they pick and the unknown privacy and view changes.

So I'd pick facing the pool, but you don't say how much distance is there?
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:40 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Choice #1 has a $16K premium, choice #2 is $6,500 and choice #3 is $14K
Old 07-09-2020, 07:42 AM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

There's 120 Feet from the property to the Pool and the Property is supposed to be on higher ground and there's supposed to be irrigation in place on that 120 Feet
Old 07-09-2020, 07:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchjav View Post
Choice #1 has a $16K premium, choice #2 is $6,500 and choice #3 is $14K
Based on this is there something about number 3 you haven't mentioned? Such as not facing another backyard or a certain sun exposure?

Looking at this I wouldn't buy Lot number 2....there is always a method to the madness they use for lot upgrade prices...
Old 07-09-2020, 07:54 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

2) one of the houses a block further back (so there would be a row of houses between the front of our house and the pool/clubhouse. The rear of this house would be facing nothing for now - with a row of houses to be built later, so our backyard would face the backyard of these new houses.

Any advice from those who live in such a community?
Be cautious here. When construction starts, its gonna be noise from 7/8 AM until 5ish, every working day (with Saturdays when required). It will be noisy, often dusty, and never ending. From lot clearing, to paint & siding, can be years. We bought our last two houses backing up to wetlands, knowing that the probability of any construction was as close to zero as possible.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:08 AM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

#3 would eventually have construction out the back also, but it looks like a wider loop, so the house out the backyard wouldn't be as close.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
#3 would eventually have construction out the back also, but it looks like a wider loop, so the house out the backyard wouldn't be as close.
I'd pick that one, but that just me wanting as much space as possible...is the lot bigger?
Old 07-09-2020, 08:14 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Be cautious here. When construction starts, its gonna be noise from 7/8 AM until 5ish, every working day (with Saturdays when required). It will be noisy, often dusty, and never ending. From lot clearing, to paint & siding, can be years. We bought our last two houses backing up to wetlands, knowing that the probability of any construction was as close to zero as possible.
Agree on the noises but very these are often built in bulk by larger crews and they can be in and out a lot faster then you think. Especially when they do what they call Phase development.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget to factor in lot orientation so that you have the right amount of sun/shade in your outdoor space.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote