Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-29-2019, 04:34 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Hey, look on the bright side, it could be a lot more serious. When I saw the thread title I thought the thread was about a daughter's missed period....
Even worse, the DGF. And especially if the wife doesn't know...
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Once I decided to retire I was gone 2 weeks later. I worked for the state so thatís all that was required. People were shocked at work.
Damn, wish I could do that. We need to give 3 months notice.
ESKyoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 03:53 AM   #23

I just enjoyed that light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:10 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Esk, the pension department was not happy and she made a comment that retirement should not be like pregnancy unplanned. I don’t think quick but wish I had said I had one of those too)
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, still feeling anxious. Closed on my HELOC this past week to give me flexibility in my cashflow if needed. Met with my boss and let her know I'd like to go PT/Job Share but if not, I will likely resign in the summer. I made clear I don't want to burn bridges and will make the transition as painless as possible as long as my opportunity cost isn't too high.

Starting to feel real now! Having lots of (irrational?) doubts even though I expect to earn enough to cover most of my expenses doing stuff I want to do (already moonlighting a bit for experience/fun/testing the waters).

I know its the right decision and something I've been planning and plotting since my first day of my career. Still, the butterflies are insane.
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:21 AM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

To keep those butterflies at bay, just keep reading all the messages on this forum...
Al18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:45 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
Wow, still feeling anxious. Closed on my HELOC this past week to give me flexibility in my cashflow if needed. Met with my boss and let her know I'd like to go PT/Job Share but if not, I will likely resign in the summer. I made clear I don't want to burn bridges and will make the transition as painless as possible as long as my opportunity cost isn't too high.

Starting to feel real now! Having lots of (irrational?) doubts even though I expect to earn enough to cover most of my expenses doing stuff I want to do (already moonlighting a bit for experience/fun/testing the waters).

I know its the right decision and something I've been planning and plotting since my first day of my career. Still, the butterflies are insane.
I see you live in Tampa Bay.
Come join us for our SW FLA get together, which is being discussed in another thread for sometime in Jan/Feb.
We can all calm you down in person.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:53 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al18 View Post
To keep those butterflies at bay, just keep reading all the messages on this forum...
Agreed. Retirement is a huge transition, and it is stressful. Reading threads on this forum helped push me to decide enough is enough. After 5 years of semi-retirement, I finally let go completely 8 months ago. You couldn't pay me to go back to work now. Oh, that's what they do...pay people...
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 09:03 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Come join us for our SW FLA get together, which is being discussed in another thread for sometime in Jan/Feb.
+1

A smart person told me "anxiety is caused by a situation you face that you don't believe you have the ability to manage". Knowledge is a destroyer of what you don't believe you can do. Seeing others succeed in the same situation makes it very understandable how to manage the situation.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Thanks... I'll monitor the thread and will make it if the date works for me! I'd love to actually have a real, candid, conversation with folks that get it!
Old 01-13-2020, 07:08 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks... I'll monitor the thread and will make it if the date works for me! I'd love to actually have a real, candid, conversation with folks that get it!
Great.
We hope to see you.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:06 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

160-something days out.... How did I survive decades? I'm not sure if making my decision to quit this year is shifting my tolerance or if the job is really just getting that much worse but going in and keeping my composure through the BS is becoming unbearable. The only things motivating me to get out of bed and go to w*rk is that I don't want to burn any bridges and I'd like to earn enough to cover my 2020 expenses. My only solace is playing with FIRE spreadsheets and calculators... and reading these boards.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM   #33

Quote:
160-something days out.... How did I survive decades?
Having a countdown makes the time pass by immeasurably more slowly. I kept pusing my date out...OMY, OMM, etc. I've finally had enough, and sold enough stock this morning to cover the remainder of the year. I promised my boss I'd give my client two month's notice, and that notice is coming up within the next week or so!
Old 02-04-2020, 05:46 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Megacorp gave us a 1 day notice back in 2008. They overreacted to the fall of the stock market, and decided to cut the 1-2 year employees and those over 55 years of age.

We were very happy to sign a hold harmless agreement in order to get 1 year severance pay, ability to get health insurance to age 65, 5 weeks more vacation pay and a pay supplement until age 62 when we could file for social security.

I had a father that took ER 6 years early, and had a great retired life building a lake home and working in local theatre. I had been preparing myself for many, many years and never intended on working until age 58.

Best thing to ever happen to any of us more experienced employees.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote