Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

A day to reflect after three great years
Old 05-01-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A day to reflect after three great years

Three years ago today was the first day of retirement and I remember it well. I was going to go fishing but was a rainy drizzling day. I ended up taking a long walk and just relaxing and thinking of my new start in life.

I was very fortunate to find this this site to guide me through the process. You people gave me confidence to take the next step in my life. I will always be grateful for all your guidance and continued help.

My portfolio has grown more then I would ever have imagined. After living from my savings etc.. I have 825K more today then three years ago. I wouldn't have even thought that it would be possible.

My days are so filled with doing what I want and when I want. My volunteer work with charities, my ranch and all the outdoor activities I does keep me more busy, then I want at times. Last year I hunted, fished, and hiked just over 300 days of the year. The outdoors is my passion and I can't seem to get enough.

Thank you all.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sounds like you have it all figured out. Enjoy!
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Awesome, we share the date!
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

MRG >> I just seen your post and sounds like you, have had a great 3 years also. I wish you many more.
Old 05-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It's good to see thing are going well for you.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:30 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
MRG >> I just seen your post and sounds like you, have had a great 3 years also. I wish you many more.
+1 right back at you.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #7

Well, I'll join the group with 3 years, tho I was a couple of months ahead of you (Feb. 3). It's been a great run, both for free time and for the market. Who would expect to have 25% MORE than you started with after three years of spending (in my case).

Here's to many more
Old 05-01-2019, 02:06 PM   #8

It must have been a popular time. Likewise I checked out 4/30/2016
Old 05-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Three years ago today was the first day of retirement and I remember it well. I was going to go fishing but was a rainy drizzling day. I ended up taking a long walk and just relaxing and thinking of my new start in life.

I was very fortunate to find this this site to guide me through the process. You people gave me confidence to take the next step in my life. I will always be grateful for all your guidance and continued help.

My portfolio has grown more then I would ever have imagined. After living from my savings etc.. I have 825K more today then three years ago. I wouldn't have even thought that it would be possible.

My days are so filled with doing what I want and when I want. My volunteer work with charities, my ranch and all the outdoor activities I does keep me more busy, then I want at times. Last year I hunted, fished, and hiked just over 300 days of the year. The outdoors is my passion and I can't seem to get enough.

Thank you all.

I can relate. I retired about 4 months prior to you, asset has increased, enjoying golf, ... No voluntary work for me though. It seems like "work" nonetheless. Congrats on your 3 years of ER!
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:10 PM   #10
gone traveling

Good health and best wishes!
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:16 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I wish all of you also, many more great retirement years.
Old 05-01-2019, 05:39 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

That must be some egg to grow $825k in 3 years!!! That’s more than half my egg total!!! Congratulations !!
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

^ Well, I think everyone has done really well in the last three to four years. I by no means want that to seem like bragging. I do feel here on this site that we can show some of our numbers and not be trying to brag or out do another member. I really have been blessed with more then I every deserved in life.
We are all in the same boat we are all FIRE people and fortunate to all be where we are at in life financially.
Like I said, I would have never in my wildest dreams three years ago today, that I would be that much ahead of the day I started my retirement.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:58 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations. I also celebrated 3 years of retirement in March.

Life is good!!
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 08:38 AM   #15
gone traveling

Yours is a picture of what I hope my retirement becomes....out door activities, good health, possible charity work, and increasing $$ investments. Congrats on winning the game.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Congrats. Sounds like you are in the perfect place for you.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #17

Quote:
^ Well, I think everyone has done really well in the last three to four years. I by no means want that to seem like bragging. I do feel here on this site that we can show some of our numbers and not be trying to brag or out do another member. I really have been blessed with more then I every deserved in life.
We are all in the same boat we are all FIRE people and fortunate to all be where we are at in life financially.
Like I said, I would have never in my wildest dreams three years ago today, that I would be that much ahead of the day I started my retirement.

There are threads specifically calls out for bragging and people DO brag. It's human nature. No problem there unless one does it tastelessly.

As soon as I retired. the market had a mini (exaggerating a bit) correction and I was a bit nervous. Then the market cooperated and I, too, can "brag" about the increase in asset. But the stock market will have down years. 2018 for example, my spending + decrease in asset wiped out almost two years of gain. Who know how 2019 will end. If it ends up by 20%, that just means a bear market (or a correction) is coming closer. Meanwhile, let us enjoy our success.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:01 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
There are threads specifically calls out for bragging and people DO brag. It's human nature. No problem there unless one does it tastelessly.

As soon as I retired. the market had a mini (exaggerating a bit) correction and I was a bit nervous. Then the market cooperated and I, too, can "brag" about the increase in asset. But the stock market will have down years. 2018 for example, my spending + decrease in asset wiped out almost two years of gain. Who know how 2019 will end. If it ends up by 20%, that just means a bear market (or a correction) is coming closer. Meanwhile, let us enjoy our success.
Thanks and there was no intention of that.
He should all enjoy these times because like you said the time will come and it won't be so rosy. Lol Like my wife says it's only money. Lol