A few words on 'Inexpensive place to live'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who grew up in the rural south during and just after the depression depended on rabbit, coon, possum, deer, squirrel, dove, quail, turkey and homegrown domestic animals for meat. There was no going to the grocery store for organic, all natural boneless skinless chicken breast filets. Ones idea of what is acceptable depends a lot on when and where they were born and grew up.

I only knew of stewed rabbit in red wine, but just found this recipe without wine. It's called "Cocotte de découpe de lapin à la provençale". I guess I should have posted this in the Mediterranean retirement thread. What's the point of retiring in a foreign land if you do not try the local dishes?

Cuisses-de-lapin-460x240.jpg

You know what would go really well with that? Wild hickory nuts, that's what.

Family lore has it that when my grandfather was a streetcar driver in PA, whenever he hit a rabbit he would stop the car, retrieve the rabbit, and bring it home for dinner. He lived to be 78.

Walt, can you explain what eating a "roadkill rabbit" has to do with living to 78? :D

You know what would go really well with that? Wild hickory nuts, that's what.
Wow, I'd bet not even chef Bocuse has thought of that.

And if one gathers her own wild nuts, that would help make Provence a tiny bit less expensive to retire to. Except that they do not have any hickory tree. :facepalm:

Never had rabbit that I know of, though I'd be willing to try it.

Funny how our culture dictates what we eat, and what's undesirable - where other cultures routinely eat what we consider undesirable (and just as important, vice versa).

Can't we all just get along.

Classic_bugsbunny.png

I worked at a fine dining Italian restaurant. One of my favorite appetizers (antipasti) was rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta and then grilled. Awesome.

I also had a friend from Pennsylvania (not sure which part) but she said they call squirrel "chicken of the tree." lol

Old Pro was on MMM about a year ago. Basically had the same spiel about living abroad which he has many valid points but he also has a very confrontational writing style and IMO is a one trick pony.

The thread hijack reminds me of a story from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. Whenever they had a guest conductor they didn't mesh with, when it came to concert time they just ignored him. They were such a highly trained group they knew how to perform a piece without the guest conductor who was trying to shake things up. Perhaps it's a stretched analogy but it made me laugh.

OK, I figure if you want the least expensive place to live, you could start with per capita income, since wealth is all relative. The most recent statistics I could find by Googling "Per Capita Income" went back to 2008.

Zimbabwe!! PCI=$200/ year. I QUADRUPLED that and ran it through all of the calculators I could find and came out to 100% chance of not running out of money if I lived to 250 years old.
So there you have it.

Zimbabwe. Go figure.

I worked at a fine dining Italian restaurant. One of my favorite appetizers (antipasti) was rabbit loin wrapped in pancetta and then grilled. Awesome.
I'm now on the lookout for this. Sounds amazing. :)

I also had a friend from Pennsylvania (not sure which part) but she said they call squirrel "chicken of the tree." lol
Brewer has used that term here on the forum.

Old Pro was on MMM about a year ago. Basically had the same spiel about living abroad which he has many valid points but he also has a very confrontational writing style and IMO is a one trick pony.

I would hope that we can give everyone who comes here a fair shake and not judge them on what they may or may not have posted somewhere else. I would also hope that we don't automatically dismiss the thoughts of those who do not post as frequently as some do.

I would hope that we can give everyone who comes here a fair shake and not judge them on what they may or may not have posted somewhere else. I would also hope that we don't automatically dismiss the thoughts of those who do not post as frequently as some do.

Yep, everyone has the right to form their own opinions. I was just expressing mine. The judgement started 3 pages ago and not with my post.

Also, why not change your user name?

Last edited:
apparently west LA is not an inexpensive place to retire...

I think whoever is posting about rabbits and such is out of their mind. Thanks OldPro for your thoughts I totally agree with you.

My BFF is a full blown foodie and lived in Italy for several years. She's good friends with a chef in her town that is originally from Milan. He has taught some cooking courses to his regulars - and did a whole series on rabbits - including how to break them down to their different parts, for different dishes. She now does it at home - after finding out from the chef which butcher in town to get the rabbit from.

I've only had rabbit once - it was at the restaurant at the Philadelphia Museum of Art and it was a really good rabbit and bean stew.

OldPro really reminds me of a recent poster who eventually was kicked out. Very similar in that they were older, had lived in many places around the world and held very strong opinions that their opinion alone was right. Anyone recall that person, moderators?

Anyway...to add a new twist to the low cost of living issue: I also think folks should consider these low cost places to have their own challenges. There is a reason they are low cost. While not scientific (although I bet I could back this up), they generally are poorer locales with higher crime rates and fewer services and/or amenities. I think the idea sounds great to go to a lower cost of living place but realize it comes at a non-monetary price.

For fun, check out Cost of Living
You will quickly see many, not all, lower cost places have much higher crime rates.

Cheers!

FWIW - the other poster lived in many places, including Greece but eventually settled in Canada. His (not her) posts were often lengthy. I cannot recall the name however.

Last edited:
how big can a rabbit loin be?

Rabbits have a tenderloin, a cut of meat that is similar to pigs and cows. Filet Mignon is the cow cut by itself. A pork chop for pigs. The loin runs from hip to shoulder. For rabbits it's about a hand length.

Yep, everyone has the right to form their own opinions. I was just expressing mine. The judgement started 3 pages ago and not with my post.

Also, why not change your user name?

Your post was merely the most convenient one for a reply, but my message was for everyone.

Why should I change my user name?

Rabbits have a tenderloin, a cut of meat that is similar to pigs and cows. Filet Mignon is the cow cut by itself. A pork chop for pigs. The loin runs from hip to shoulder. For rabbits it's about a hand length.

I've had "coniglio", in Tuscany. It was delicious. I couldn't tell you what part it was. What you describe is bigger than I would have thought, but then, I don't know anything about it.

Back on topic, I totally get what OldPro is saying. ( hence my post on Zimbabwe). Getting distracted by rabbits was in no way intended to be disrespectful to his post.

I've had "coniglio", in Tuscany. It was delicious. I couldn't tell you what part it was. What you describe is bigger than I would have thought, but then, I don't know anything about it.

Back on topic, I totally get what OldPro is saying. ( hence my post on Zimbabwe). Getting distracted by rabbits was in no way intended to be disrespectful to his post.

Yep, coniglio is the loin. Maybe take off a fingertip but you are still gonna be close on the length.

Edit; i was wrong, coniglio is just italian for rabbit; not the cut of rabbit.

Last edited:
Those who grew up in the rural south during and just after the depression depended on rabbit, coon, possum, deer, squirrel, dove, quail, turkey and homegrown domestic animals for meat. There was no going to the grocery store for organic, all natural boneless skinless chicken breast filets. Ones idea of what is acceptable depends a lot on when and where they were born and grew up.

And it fits the description of living in an inexpensive area. Raising your own protein is pretty thrifty and tasty way to live. Beside rabbits are fun.

I get the OP'S point. I watched my parents go through it for awhile. DF wanted to live on St. Lawrence, DM didn't want to live there without a flush toilet. Florida was a compromise.

Last edited:
Why should I change my user name?

Mix up there. I was talking about old pro. I wasn't clear. My bad. He gained a reputation on MMM and if you don't want your reputation to follow you then why don't you change your username (unless you think you are always right). I stated he had several valid points but he is largely combative when anyone questions him and in a very off-putting way. I think that is illustrative on the first page of this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom