Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 08:09 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets
GreenEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 229
I'd never paid much attention to my FICO score until recently noticing that there's a tab to check it on my online banking account page. So, out of curiosity, I've been checking it every month or so.

Last month it had climbed to 844 which is the highest it's been. This month I noticed it has fallen to 815, which seems like an unusually sharp drop in one month. I can't think of anything that might have triggered it. No late payments, job changes, large purchases or fund transfers. I guess I should contact my banks to be sure nothing was hacked or something else happened?

My Vanguard balances have jumped around some from the recent volatility, but I can't imagine that would affect a FICO score.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #82
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,937
There was a recent methodology change. https://money.yahoo.com/fico-credit-...210252419.html
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #83
Recycles dryer sheets
GreenEggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 229
Thanks that explains the trigger. It doesn't explain why mine went down, but it doesn't seem like I need to worry about a hack or ID theft.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:33 AM   #84
Administrator
Gumby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 16,937
If you want to double check, you could get one of your free credit reports. https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action
__________________
Living an analog life in the Digital Age.
Gumby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:50 AM   #85
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
skipro33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Placerville
Posts: 1,592
I use CreditKarma to keep track of my credit score. Both Transunion and equifax. Changes are identified with what triggered the change; paid off a card, balance increase on another, etc.
It also will give me heads up if there's suspected credit fraud by e-mail.

CreditKarma also has free income tax software on line, like Turbo Tax or H&R block, but completely free. Even e-filing. They are compensated with a few ads that pop up as you do your taxes.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 12:03 PM   #86
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HI Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEggs View Post
Thanks that explains the trigger. It doesn't explain why mine went down, but it doesn't seem like I need to worry about a hack or ID theft.
I get small drops like that all the time. Things like exceeding 30% of the available credit on any credit card at any time during the month, opening a new card, closing an account, extra credit inquiry, etc. The other less frequent thing could be if the time since your last car or mortgage loan was active exceeds a certain period, they ding you for lack of diversity in your credit use. Credit scores measure how well you use credit, not how well off you are financially!
__________________
Balance in everything.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:53 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 224
I recently checked my FICO score and it had dropped below 800. What?! It was at 849 in August, and by January down to 795.

The first excuse given my the report is my credit card balance was too high compared to my maximum - I pay it off every month, why should they care?
The second excuse, I don't have any installment loans.

So the trick to high scores is to take loans out on everything, forcing companies to make use of their services - conflict of interest?
Dalmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmore View Post
I recently checked my FICO score and it had dropped below 800. What?! It was at 849 in August, and by January down to 795.

The first excuse given my the report is my credit card balance was too high compared to my maximum - I pay it off every month, why should they care?
The second excuse, I don't have any installment loans.

So the trick to high scores is to take loans out on everything, forcing companies to make use of their services - conflict of interest?
You got it. Credit scores and how they are calculated is just BS.

We pay off all our CC debt each month and maintain a score in the 830-840 range (we have no debt). As a practice, I will pay my balance off the day prior to statement closing to get it as close to 0 as possible (when it's reported). My DW (who I am an authorized user on one of her accounts) pays her balance *after* the statement closes, so my report will show a balance of $1000-2000 each month (always less than 1% utilization rate). Well, last month she paid her card early, so all accounts reported with a 0 balance. Guess what happened to my credit score? It "tanked" to 801. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
__________________
Retired in 2014 at 40 Years Old
ExFlyBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #89
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
HI Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 2,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
You got it. Credit scores and how they are calculated is just BS.

We pay off all our CC debt each month and maintain a score in the 830-840 range (we have no debt). As a practice, I will pay my balance off the day prior to statement closing to get it as close to 0 as possible (when it's reported). My DW (who I am an authorized user on one of her accounts) pays her balance *after* the statement closes, so my report will show a balance of $1000-2000 each month (always less than 1% utilization rate). Well, last month she paid her card early, so all accounts reported with a 0 balance. Guess what happened to my credit score? It "tanked" to 801. Makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?
Right. It's based on the closing balance. You don't get a better score if you pay it off in full each month. I've made over 1,000 on-time credit card payments over the past 28 years, paying all of them off in full every month. But I still get dinged if any card's balance goes over 30% of the credit limit!
__________________
Balance in everything.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:34 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 5,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
You got it. Credit scores and how they are calculated is just BS.




This!!
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Average credit scores by state calmloki FIRE and Money 33 11-18-2007 08:09 PM
Divorce and Credit scores clifp FIRE and Money 24 11-13-2007 10:13 PM
Question about credit scores David1961 FIRE and Money 28 10-06-2007 10:34 AM
Vanguard Perk Levels Bikerdude FIRE and Money 38 05-08-2007 07:26 AM

» Quick Links

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:28 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.