Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
We would expect AARP to lobby heavily for the interests of their members. But in the recent past they have inserted themselves into political contests and have taken a position that is >not< favored by the majority of their members.

It's not a subject that we can go into here without resulting in a lot of discontent, but if you want to know more you can browse these links:

"AARP Left Me."
"The Love Song of the AARP"

The AARPs politics have resulted in the founding of other groups (AMAC, etc) that offer many of the same discounts but with a different political slant. These groups are still a lot smaller than AARP.

I would never join AARP.
So it is politics? I'll take my $200 discount on my eyeglasses, thank you.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2016, 07:12 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
So it is politics?
Yes, just like Bamaman said.
But the discounts can be had easily without funding AARPs political agenda (or their marketing of substandard products).
Old 07-23-2016, 07:17 PM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, just like Bamaman said.
But the discounts can be had easily without funding AARPs political agenda (or their marketing of substandard products).
Real life story from today. Eyeglass store. Discount without insurance 20%. I say I have AARP. Oh, than it's 30%.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:18 PM   #84
Gone but not forgotten

For $.04/day, we belong.
Enjoy the Magazine, and find the articles in the Bulletins to be helpful.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:19 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Real life story from today. Eyeglass store. Discount without insurance 20%. I say I have AARP. Oh, than it's 30%.
How does it get easier? Don't let politics get in the way of your goals.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:29 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How does it get easier?
Tell them you'd like the AARP discount, whether you are a member or not? They want your business, right? That's pretty easy, and you save $16 per year.
And you can handle your politics however you want, I'll do the same, thanks.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:05 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tell them you'd like the AARP discount, whether you are a member or not? They want your business, right? That's pretty easy, and you save $16 per year.
And you can handle your politics however you want, I'll do the same, thanks.
One problem with that approach, they need your AARP number for the discount.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #88
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So it is politics? I'll take my $200 discount on my eyeglasses, thank you.
Check out Zinni:

Zenni Optical | Affordable Rx Eyeglasses Online

39dollarglasses:

Prescription Glasses | Buy Discount Rx Eyeglasses from $39

Etc, no AARP card required.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Do what you want to do.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:17 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
OK
Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We would expect AARP to lobby heavily for the interests of their members. But in the recent past they have inserted themselves into political contests and have taken a position that is >not< favored by the majority of their members, but did benefit their insurance business considerably.

It's not a subject that we can go into here without resulting in a lot of discontent, but if you want to know more you can browse these links:

"AARP Left Me."
"The Love Song of the AARP"
"How AARP Made $2.8 Billion . . . "

Reaction to AARP's politics have resulted in the founding of other groups (AMAC, etc) that offer many of the same discounts but with a different political slant. These groups are still a lot smaller than AARP.

I would never join AARP.
But would you join the "other groups"? If so, then you are back to where you started.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:24 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

If it wasn't for the dining deals, my AARP card would be in the trash:

AARP Dining Discounts
Old 07-23-2016, 08:33 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
But would you join the "other groups"? If so, then you are back to where you started.
I haven't seen an instance where AARP would have saved me any money at all, so I wouldn't join the other groups just to get discounts, either. But, for those who want the discounts, they can get 'em without AARP's brand of politics.
But it's not just the politics. AARP lends their name to some Medigap policies that are not especially good values, and I'm pretty sure a lot of seniors just buy it because they trust the organization and think they are getting "AARP insurance." IMO, AARP is a marketing organization masquerading as a mutual benefit society.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I haven't seen an instance where AARP would have saved me any money at all, so I wouldn't join the other groups just to get discounts, either. But, for those who want the discounts, they can get 'em without AARP's brand of politics.
But it's not just the politics. AARP lends their name to some Medigap policies that are not especially good values, and I'm pretty sure a lot of seniors just buy it because they trust the organization and think they are getting "AARP insurance." IMO, AARP is a marketing organization masquerading as a mutual benefit society.
Good that you won't join the other groups either. At least you are consistent.

I joined AARP for a reason (unrelated to politics at all). Namely, to look cute among friends showing that I got the "old man" card as I already got most of the discounts (mainly, hotel reservations) with my AAA card. Well, now I also get the Consumer Cellular discount with AARP.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:42 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you have the ability to "know" why people have bought these policies, good for you. Most of the rest of us can't read minds.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #96
Give me a forum ...

If you are against AARP because some of what they endorse is not a good deal, that's fine. I am not a dumb*ss. I can see for myself if something is not a good deal or not. Let people make their own decisions.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:53 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
If you are against AARP because some of what they endorse is not a good deal, that's fine. I am not a dumb*ss. I can see for myself if something is not a good deal or not. Let people make their own decisions.
Who is against people making their own decisions? Nobody here is trying to prevent people from making their own decisions--including decisions about whether your assessment of your dumb*ssery is accurate.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:09 PM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Who is against people making their own decisions? Nobody here is trying to prevent people from making their own decisions--including decisions about whether your assessment of your dumb*ssery is accurate.
You said you were against AARP because people buy policies just because of the endorsement. Or did I get that wrong?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:10 PM   #99
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The trouble I have with AARP is that every time I see their magazine, I think I'm in a dentist's waiting room. Not sure if I want that vibe in my home

Old 07-23-2016, 10:24 PM   #100
Moderator Emeritus

Every time I see AARP magazines (which is all the time since we are card carriers, but don't care if other people are or aren't, nobody put a gun to our heads and demanded we join) I wonder why I don't look as good as the cover "girls" when they are my age. That's what I want, their secrets to eternal youthful looks (it couldn't be Photoshop, could it?).