About 6 months to go .. what have I forgotten?

albireo13

Full time employment: Posting here.
I plan to pull the plug June 1 2020. It's now getting real and I've been thinking … what have I forgotten? What's left to do these last 6 months that I might not have thought about??

I think I've got the financial piece in good control but .. what about other stuff?

One thing is, I want to take care of dental work before retiring. Luckily I will stay under my wife's health insurance for awhile. She plans to work another few years.

Any good advice from all you folks who have moved on "to the other side" ??

Congratulations on making your decision. You might want to look at Ernie Zelinski's excellent books on making the most of your retirement (I like "The Joy of Not Working").

My biggest piece of advice is don't commit to too many things before you retire thinking you'll need to fill up your days. You can always add things but it's harder to get out of things you've already committed to.

Do you have enough staples and pencils to last you the rest of your life?

Besides medical care, a lot of folks here like to start out with home repairs/upgrades all caught up, a new car, etc.

Here is what I spent my last six months doing

1. Made a list of all my cases and who I thought should take them over when I left the office. Discussed that with the boss.
2. Organized the files for all my open cases and created a pass-down sheet for the next person with all case status updated.
3. Officially closed all my completed cases and sent the records to the central record storage facility.
4. Cleaned up my email and either filed it properly in the document control system, forwarded it to others in the office who might need it or deleted it as appropriate and permitted. Cleaned up my computer files in the same manner. Sent home copies of any personal emails and personal files that I wanted to keep. Printed out my Outlook contacts.
5. Physically cleaned my office from top to bottom and threw out all my old books and professional seminar notes and such. Took home my emergency court clothes and all my personal stuff. Don't dally; it took a while to get everything out.
6. Made sure that I had all the necessary records for maintaining my professional qualifications (mainly bar admissions for me) after I left the office.
7. Ensured that my successors appeared in all my court cases and then filed a withdrawal as I handed off each case (of interest only to lawyers).
8. Notified clients, co-counsel, opposing counsel and others who needed to know that I was leaving and told them who would replace me and how to contact that person.
9. Spent time going around the office and thanking people who had helped me over the years.
10. Talked with HR to make sure that I knew exactly what my pension payments would be and how my retiree health insurance would work.
11. Figured and re-figured my budget for the remainder of the year and made a preliminary stab at my taxes for the year. I found that had to increase the withholding on my pension checks.
12. Changed my contact information at every website I could think of (banks, Vanguard, insurance company, various state bars, etc.) to make my home address and phone number the primary point of contact instead of my office.
13. Made sure that all of our doctors and dentist were in network for my retiree healthcare.
14. Had one of the spare bedrooms in our house made into a custom sewing room for the young wife. It was like a kitchen addition with all the counters and cabinets and such, but without plumbing or appliances. I knew she would balk at the cost if we did it after we retired.
15. Planned in detail our big post retirement vacation trip to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons.
16. Planned a big barbecue bash at my house for the day after I retired and invited all my colleagues.
17. Ordered a new 2019 Mini Cooper S for the young wife, who retired two weeks after I did. We picked it up the day after her retirement.

Last edited:
:facepalm: That's what I forgot 4 years ago. I only have enough for about 5 more years.

And about a year ago I actually went out and bought file folders.:LOL:
Man, you blew it. I haven't even finished my first box of staples and it has been 12 years.

:facepalm: That's what I forgot 4 years ago. I only have enough for about 5 more years.

And about a year ago I actually went out and bought file folders.:LOL:

This is why you need to maintain connections with former coworkers. You offer them the wisdom of your experience in exchange for a box of paperclips! :LOL:

I spent the last several months making, revising, and then revising umpteen times, the numerous things I would do once I had the time. I included pie in the sky items, so I didn't feel any compunction to complete the list. But it sure gave me lots of ideas. Gumby is a much better person than I. I did not do a single thing to assist my employer to cope with my absence, but I'm pretty certain they somehow managed to survive my absence.

We just moved into our "forever home" this year and am making home improvements before I retire.

Am meeting with our FA this week for end-of-year assessment of financials. So far he only has my IRA (charging 1.3% fee). I bet he is drooling over getting my 401K and my wife's funds too, when she retires. : )

However, I will very soon be leaving the FA behind and moving funds into Vanguard index funds, which I'll keep on top of myself. AA of 60/40 is the plan.

I was thinking of a new car but, current car works fine so I'll keep on using it.

Back
Top Bottom