Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Achieving balance
Old 11-29-2004, 08:52 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
However, I do have a cell phone that I rarely use... *Dropping the cell would save $25 per month...
Hey John,

If you're only using the cell for emergencies, go to Sam's Club and buy a Tracfone. You get a cell phone, car & battery chargers, 1 year of service, and 20 minutes of airtime for $60. Then come back here BEFORE you activate and someone will "refer" you to Tracfone and you'll get another 100 minutes (and so will they). If you are just using the phone for emergencies, you'll have two hours of airtime and everything else you'll need for a year. Total cost for the year is $60 vs. the $300 you're paying. You'll free up $20 per month without giving up a thing. Then go sign up for Netflix or Blockbuster for $18/month and you'll have access to the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Oz, and anything else you want. I agree with you - the Sopranos is a great show. We're just starting season 4 (Netflix).
Bob_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Speaking of cell phones, I find them to be more of an annoyance than a convenience. I'm of the belief that if someone needs to reach me, they can leave a message on my office or home phone (as appropriate) and I'll call them back. Emergencies seemingly are the only exception to this rule.
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 09:22 AM   #23

I cancelled my cell phone this morning. When (if) I decide I need one again I am going with the Tracphone.
Sounds like a great deal and I will save a bunch of money.

John Galt
Old 11-29-2004, 01:13 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Hey John,

I agree with you - the Sopranos is a great show. We're just starting season 4 (Netflix).

Great show 'Fuggedaboudit!'
GTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 01:34 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I am not a big TV watcher but there are a few shows I really like, including the Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and the Jean Luc Picard Star Trek. I have to restrain myself from using cliches from these shows at work. I have been so tempted to say "make it so" to my staff. Or when lawyers are having a disageement I want to invite them to a "sit-down". They would think I am a goof, I know.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:09 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Great show 'Fuggedaboudit!'
Heheh, its even better if you have ever met any of these guys. Oh, the stories I could tell you...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote