Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-01-2018, 11:11 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

I have taken three road trips this year averaging 4,000 miles per trip. Lots of good advice above.

Take an extra car key and store it outside the vehicle out of sight so that if (when) you misplace or lose your key, you have a spare.

Set your hotel addresses in your Garmin or your device to have them identified and easy to bring up.

Make sure you have roadside assistance for your flat tire or dead battery.

Pack a gallon of engine coolant to have available if your cooling system starts leaking. Even a small leak can disable you.

Take a first aid kit (buy it or make it up yourself).

You can buy an inexpensive "emergency kit" that contains road flares, rubber cones, wet suit, flashlight, etc that will aid you if you break down in a remote area or dark road.

There's more, this is a start.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:39 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I've taken a lot of long road trips in the last few years. Definitely avoid the interstates, unless there's no choice - it's just so much more interesting and real on the back roads. I always have a cooler with food and extra water, along with a sleeping bag in case I run into some place with no hotels available - a lot of my trips are in the west with long distances between cities, and some of the interesting areas can be remote.

I tend to wing it on hotels a lot, just get to a town and use Kayak to find a cheap room, if I'm just staying overnight. In bigger cities, or where I'm staying a few days, I'm a little more organized.

Sometimes I plan to camp along the way rather than use hotels, but that makes for a much slower trip, since it's nice to find remote campsites in the daylight. I also always have a Rand McNally atlas so that I can identify interesting looking areas along the way.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We seldom leave town in our retirement. But one good road trip is in late Spring when the car rental companies have too many cars sitting in Florida. You can rent one for $5 to $10 a day and then drop it anywhere "up north." We flew to Orlando and went to Disneyworld and then stopped at Daytona, Savannah, Charleston, Myrtle Beach and ended up in the VA suburbs south of D.C. We flew home cheap from Baltimore.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Bamaman you can do this out West too...AZ to one of many Western states...we were able to do a trip at this rate in early June..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:14 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I like the idea of a Spring road trip from Florida. Maybe in the Spring of 2019. This Spring is already taken. :-)

Tags
road trip planning