Affordable (and Safe!) Historic Towns

Man, I was really into St. Joe as a possibility until I saw 1) the crime rate and 2) the ACA rates in that area. Do you have any first hand experience with the town? The architecture is truly amazing...
St. Joe is a suburb of KC. We spent 38 years around the KC area. Moved away from KC a couple years ago. Some of my former co-w*rkers commuted from St. Joe.

That said, my response was to the wrong question. I thought you were visiting the area. I'd not answer the same about living there.

Research the area and visit. Like many places there's good and bad. If I were to move back to MO. I'd look south of KC. Love the people and the area just not the place I'll live now.

Last edited:
I went to grad school in Columbia, Mo. Nice town -- big enough to be interesting, a university with a med school, two hours' drive to St. Louis or KC. The summers are oppressive, though.

You will see from some of my past posts that I’m a big fan of the Knoxville, TN area; downtown Knoxville in particular, which I highly recommend if you want to live in a walkable urban (college town) environment.

If you want a smaller town/city, try Marysville, TN just south of Knoxville. It’s inexpensive, safe, has a small college in town, is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains, and is near lots of inland waterways. And, having lived in the ‘midwest’, I can tell you that eastern TN weather beats the cr@p out of midwestern weather.

Thanks for the tips Huston55

Illinois is not as bad as some might let on. Staying away from the Chicago area and it's collar counties puts RE taxes more inline with other areas. For retirees, where Pensions, SS, IRA and 401K distributions are not taxed, it can be a good thing. How much longer will it stay untaxed? Who has a crystal ball? Historic small towns are quaint. I'm not sure how long that quaint will last for retirees with a limited group of social contacts with similar interests. YMMV. I think being close to good medical would be more important to DW and I.

I would agree with you if there was nothing to compare property taxes.

I am in rural Illinois and pay 3 times the property taxes for the same value house in Tennessee. There are no state income taxes in Tennessee so retirement income is also not taxed. Nashville and Memphis areas have very good medical facilities. I once loved Illinois and have been raised here, but the love is lost when they squander chances to save the state.

I would agree with you if there was nothing to compare property taxes.

I am in rural Illinois and pay 3 times the property taxes for the same value house in Tennessee. There are no state income taxes in Tennessee so retirement income is also not taxed. Nashville and Memphis areas have very good medical facilities. I once loved Illinois and have been raised here, but the love is lost when they squander chances to save the state.

OK, Knoxville FanBoy here again. :angel:

But, so does UT Medical Center in/around Knoxville. Some of the best medical care we’ve received while living in 15 different locations in the past 30+ years; including NoVA/DC & the SF Bay Area.

OK, Knoxville FanBoy here again. :angel:

But, so does UT Medical Center in/around Knoxville. Some of the best medical care we’ve received while living in 15 different locations in the past 30+ years; including NoVA/DC & the SF Bay Area.

I would love to check out the Knoxville area, but DW says that is too far from the grandkids..... Happy wife/Happy life

:LOL:

Missouri fan here

After about a year of mulling it over and thinking about it, my wife and I are moving from a Houston TX suburb to Springfield, MO. It doesn't quite qualify as a small town although its only the size of our Houston suburb (180,000 people). There are at least 3 universities. Large enough for the amenities and small enough to get around. Easy access to the rest of the US via an airport of interstates. We found a wide range of housing from older historic homes downtown to small farms outside of town.

I went to college in Columbia, MO. The main challenge there is that the University and colleges completely dominate the town. Lots of people like the Excelsior Springs area but there is no college. We have a lakehouse at Lake of the Ozarks and its very nice ... but its a recreation destination, not really historic. Hannibal wasn't really for me ... interesting historic buildings but much of the town was run-down.

Off the wall suggestion ... in our travels, we visited Winterset, Iowa. John Wayne's birthplace & where they filmed "Bridges of Madison County". Very cute town, historic center and not that far from Des Moines.... but it is very small.

I was born in Kansas ... you could think about Lawrence or Wichita. Both have colleges/universities and are decent size. You can find older, historic homes as well. Personally, I prefer the hills of the Ozarks over the rolling plains of Kansas & Iowa.

Good hunting!

After about a year of mulling it over and thinking about it, my wife and I are moving from a Houston TX suburb to Springfield, MO. It doesn't quite qualify as a small town although its only the size of our Houston suburb (180,000 people). There are at least 3 universities. Large enough for the amenities and small enough to get around. Easy access to the rest of the US via an airport of interstates. We found a wide range of housing from older historic homes downtown to small farms outside of town.

I went to college in Columbia, MO. The main challenge there is that the University and colleges completely dominate the town. Lots of people like the Excelsior Springs area but there is no college. We have a lakehouse at Lake of the Ozarks and its very nice ... but its a recreation destination, not really historic. Hannibal wasn't really for me ... interesting historic buildings but much of the town was run-down.

Off the wall suggestion ... in our travels, we visited Winterset, Iowa. John Wayne's birthplace & where they filmed "Bridges of Madison County". Very cute town, historic center and not that far from Des Moines.... but it is very small.

I was born in Kansas ... you could think about Lawrence or Wichita. Both have colleges/universities and are decent size. You can find older, historic homes as well. Personally, I prefer the hills of the Ozarks over the rolling plains of Kansas & Iowa.

Good hunting!

Thanks! I will definitely check you suggestions out and I hope your move goes well!

Terre Haute, French Lick, Corydon and Madison Indiana. Muncie is a nice sized college town, and close to Indy if you like that aspect.
Housing and property taxes are low.

Might add Bloomington/Nashville, and maybe Jeffersonville/New Albany.

Agree with Mokan. DW was born and raised in Hannibal. She refuses to retire there. Having been there many times when her parents were alive, I can concur it's a very run down.

We're 3 years from FIRE, but looking at Springfield, Fayetteville, Bella Vista, and Mountain Home. Thought about Hermann but it's too small for us.

Enjoy figuring it out.

Might add Bloomington/Nashville, and maybe Jeffersonville/New Albany.

I lived in Terre Haute for the longest 3 years of my life. With 2 big chemical plants downtown, the place smells toxic. I drove through there recently and the place is as bad as ever.

The preferable places in Indiana are Bloomington and Nashville. Otherwise much of the rest of the state (and the Midwest in general) is corn as far as the eye can see.

Give me hills, mountains and lakes anyday. And give me towns with nice societies.

I lived in Terre Haute for the longest 3 years of my life. With 2 big chemical plants downtown, the place smells toxic. I drove through there recently and the place is as bad as ever.

The preferable places in Indiana are Bloomington and Nashville. Otherwise much of the rest of the state (and the Midwest in general) is corn as far as the eye can see.

Give me hills, mountains and lakes anyday. And give me towns with nice societies.

I haven’t been there since the 70s, but we called it “Terrible Haute”...

Indiana has the same problems as evident in many small towns and rural areas: meth and opioid abuse, chronic unemployment, dilapidated housing stock, vacant downtowns... But there are bright spots, here and there.

Southern Indiana has lots of rolling hills (The Knobs), and a fair amount of forested land, though there’s corn too.

Agree with Mokan. DW was born and raised in Hannibal. She refuses to retire there. Having been there many times when her parents were alive, I can concur it's a very run down.

There's a lot of neat history along the Mississippi, but many of the cities on the river are a century past their prime. I wouldn't live in any city along the river south of Dubuque -- the poverty (and crime) there is just too widespread.

Another factor is the landscape -- once you get into Iowa, things flatten out. The Mississippi is prone to flooding. Mich of the river valley was devastated in 1993. I'd want to have the benefit of some elevation lest that happen again.

Has the OP elaborated on what a "historical town" is to them? And why it's important? History is neat, but I'm a lot more interested in what a place has to offer now. I mean, a sign that says, such-and-such event took place here 150 years ago is interesting, but not so much if there is a Starbucks on the site now.

Anyone have recommendations for some great, LCOL historic towns? Prefer the Midwest, as it's close to family. Anyone know of any hidden gems? Current contenders:

Mineral Point, WI
Marshfield, WI
Galena, IL
Quincy, IL
Hannibal, MO

Looking for other potential places to go "scout" on long weekend getaways. :)

Marshfield,WI has an excellent Medical Clinic and Hospital.
Maybe google for Historical stuff as I am not into that.

There's a lot of neat history along the Mississippi, but many of the cities on the river are a century past their prime. I wouldn't live in any city along the river south of Dubuque -- the poverty (and crime) there is just too widespread.

Another factor is the landscape -- once you get into Iowa, things flatten out. The Mississippi is prone to flooding. Mich of the river valley was devastated in 1993. I'd want to have the benefit of some elevation lest that happen again.

I think you're painting with a pretty broad brush. The river towns are not all crime hell holes and many actually have a flourishing tourist business.

From a river city south of Dubuque,

VW

New Orleans has some fascinating history, and it's more fascinating than many historic locations because it's a little run down with not much razing and building compared with many places. So for example, if you want to see an actual house that Lee Harvey Oswald lived in, or the one where legends say Napoleon stayed for a while when he was in exile, or the one Tennessee Williams owned and lived in here, well, many of these houses are still here and still much the same as they were at the time. One of my favorite pastimes is finding the address of such a house, and going there just to drive by. Some have signs about their history, but often you wouldn't even know if you didn't have the address. To me this is such a rush, imagining what the surroundings were like at the time.

Affordable? Well, I'd say it's not unusually affordable, or unusually expensive. It's somewhere between.

Safe? :ROFLMAO: Well, no, not really. I think we have (or have had?) one of the higher murder rates in the country. Like in many cities, it would be a good idea to keep your wits about you, use common sense, lock your home and car all the time, and use some street smarts or whatever other defenses you might employ in similar cities.

Last edited:
Has the OP elaborated on what a "historical town" is to them? And why it's important? History is neat, but I'm a lot more interested in what a place has to offer now. I mean, a sign that says, such-and-such event took place here 150 years ago is interesting, but not so much if there is a Starbucks on the site now.

You're right, I should elaborate a bit. Mostly I'm looking for the atmosphere of as many historic buildings as possible. I love old architecture, but I don't particularly care if the town is historically "significant" in some famous way. I've loved old houses and old buildings for as long as I can remember, grew up in an old house in a town with a historic town square, and just feel happiest and most energized when I'm thusly surrounded.

I specify "safe" because it's been my experience in scoping for affordable towns with beautiful old houses, that many are sadly run down and have crime issues. Some of the comments above about Terre Haute confirm my suspicions about why one can buy such big beautiful houses for so cheap. The same can be said for St. Joseph, MO and Toledo, OH, for example, but the crime rates are quite high.

I should also specify that I don't need a super cheap town, nor do I expect or need a mansion. I'm looking for a town with rich character, that doesn't have a sky-high crime rate or sky-high property values that would price me out of the market. We'd like to spend in the neighborhood of $200k for a modest size (say around 2000 sf) house. I've found some good candidates, but first hand experience trumps Zillow research any day, and I've already gotten some great leads from your suggestions! Thanks to everyone who's commented!

New Orleans has some fascinating history, and it's more fascinating than many historic locations because it's a little run down with not much razing and building compared with many places. So for example, if you want to see an actual house that Lee Harvey Oswald lived in, or the one where legends say Napoleon stayed for a while when he was in exile, or the one Tennessee Williams owned and lived in here, well, many of these houses are still here and still much the same as they were at the time. One of my favorite pastimes is finding the address of such a house, and going there just to drive by. Some have signs about their history, but often you wouldn't even know if you didn't have the address. To me this is such a rush, imagining what the surroundings were like at the time.

Affordable? Well, I'd say it's not unusually affordable, or unusually expensive. It's somewhere between.

Safe? :ROFLMAO: Well, no, not really. I think we have (or have had?) one of the higher murder rates in the country. Like in many cities, it would be a good idea to keep your wits about you, use common sense, lock your home and car all the time, and use some street smarts or whatever other defenses you might employ in similar cities.

W2R - I'm so jealous that you're retired in New Orleans! It is a gorgeous city with a thick, mysterious atmosphere. Very enchanting. My idea of the perfect life is living in the Garden District and walking those broken sidewalks every day... <sigh> Maybe stopping for a Po' Boy for lunch.

Alas, my pragmatic husband has vetoed it on the grounds of the crime rate and the fact that neither of us, being life-long northerners, can withstand the heat very well. HOWEVER, I think he just might be amenable to a short-term stay once we're FI. I would love to sign a 6-month lease for some tiny apartment and just enjoy being there for a longer amount of time. Also, I've noticed that New Orleans is one of the few places where you can get a tiny apartment that oozes charm. It's still a dream at this point, at least 4 years out, but it's my favorite dream. :blush:

W2R - I'm so jealous that you're retired in New Orleans! It is a gorgeous city with a thick, mysterious atmosphere. Very enchanting. My idea of the perfect life is living in the Garden District and walking those broken sidewalks every day... <sigh> Maybe stopping for a Po' Boy for lunch.

Alas, my pragmatic husband has vetoed it on the grounds of the crime rate and the fact that neither of us, being life-long northerners, can withstand the heat very well. HOWEVER, I think he just might be amenable to a short-term stay once we're FI. I would love to sign a 6-month lease for some tiny apartment and just enjoy being there for a longer amount of time. Also, I've noticed that New Orleans is one of the few places where you can get a tiny apartment that oozes charm. It's still a dream at this point, at least 4 years out, but it's my favorite dream. :blush:
Sounds great! Visiting now and then like that, is probably a more realistic and smart approach than moving here. A considerable percentage of what may appear to be single family homes in the French Quarter and the adjacent Faubourg Marigny, are actually broken up into small apartments and rental condos for out of towners doing just that. And as for those gorgeous mansions in the Garden District, they often can cost millions. Also I think your husband's veto is extremely smart, for both reasons. I love the heat, but many just cannot tolerate it.

P.S. - - walking on the broken sidewalks is no fun after a while! But those po'boys... they are sublime IMO. It's the freshly baked New Orleans French bread that they are made with here, that makes all the difference I think.

Last edited:
I don’t get emphasis on ”safe!”.
I live in the heart of Denver and have never felt unsafe.
Our biggest crime problems are auto theft and porch thieves. According to statistics and NextDoor.com
We never worry about walking anywhere, day or night.

Sounds great! Visiting now and then like that, is probably a more realistic and smart approach than moving here. A considerable percentage of what may appear to be single family homes in the French Quarter and the adjacent Faubourg Marigny, are actually broken up into small apartments and rental condos for out of towners doing just that. And as for those gorgeous mansions in the Garden District, they often can cost millions. Also I think your husband's veto is extremely smart, for both reasons. I love the heat, but many just cannot tolerate it.

P.S. - - walking on the broken sidewalks is no fun after a while! But those po'boys... they are sublime IMO. It's the freshly baked New Orleans French bread that they are made with here, that makes all the difference I think.

Aw... if you're tired of broken sidewalks, you're tired of life. LOL!

I'm sure it would get old after a while, but they are darn romantic, just like many of the other ways the city is beautiful in sort of shabby ways. I would almost prefer a New Orleans house ala "A Love Song for Bobby Long" - one of my all time favorite movies - (ya know, if it could somehow magically not be in a very dangerous neighborhood) to one of the polished, albeit beautiful multi-million dollar mansions of the Garden District. But if I ever win the mega-millions, I'm getting me one of those mansions. :)

Back
Top Bottom