Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Affordable (and Safe!) Historic Towns
Old 03-28-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Affordable (and Safe!) Historic Towns

Anyone have recommendations for some great, LCOL historic towns? Prefer the Midwest, as it's close to family. Anyone know of any hidden gems? Current contenders:

Mineral Point, WI
Marshfield, WI
Galena, IL
Quincy, IL
Hannibal, MO

Looking for other potential places to go "scout" on long weekend getaways.
RachaelandtheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelandtheGoose View Post
Anyone have recommendations for some great, LCOL historic towns? Prefer the Midwest, as it's close to family. Anyone know of any hidden gems? Current contenders:

Mineral Point, WI
Marshfield, WI
Galena, IL
Quincy, IL
Hannibal, MO

Looking for other potential places to go "scout" on long weekend getaways.

If you like wine, Herman, Mo is a cool little old rural town (like 3,000 people, so very safe) with 4-5 wineries and a wine tour bus to take you around to them. It has several nice places to stay the weekend at also.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:37 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Excelsior Springs MO. and a jaunt over to St. Joe.

I'll never stay in the historic Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs again ever. It's a fine place but I don't care for the spirits.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:48 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Not only is it too cold in the upper Midwest for many, but the weather is also pretty lousy for too many months. We lived in the "land of corn" and found cabin fever to bring on real depression

I prefer college towns for a high quality of life, often good restaurants, athletics and culture that comes out of the university.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:33 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Galena is a great town, but if LCOL is your goal, Illinois may not fit the bill.

I live in Illinois retired less than 2 years and am looking at small towns in Tennessee for a lower cost of living. Property taxes are suffocating homeowners here in Illinois and a large public pension deficit is a weight that will shape the future for Illinois.

Morristown Tennessee and Dyersburg Tennessee are the towns that I have an interest in checking out for possible relocation.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:42 AM   #6

All the towns on your list have their charms, but I would also advise thinking carefully about the climate. You probably already understand what it's like in those areas, but have you thought about living there while retired?

There are so many great places with much better weather and low COL. I agree with Bamaman that starting with a list of college towns might be a better approach. Just a suggestion.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:43 AM   #7

Terre Haute, French Lick, Corydon and Madison Indiana. Muncie is a nice sized college town, and close to Indy if you like that aspect.
Housing and property taxes are low.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Washington, MO has a bit of a monopoly on corn cob pipes. They grow their own heritage breed for the cobs. Pretty darn quaint, but also darn small. I wouldn’t want to live there.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:11 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Nauvoo, Illinois

Population 1200

Historic small town on the banks of the Mississippi.

Hotel Nauvoo has the best buffet of home cooked food I've ever eaten.

Downside. It is in Illinois.
Germonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

When IL and Chicago go into bankruptcy, IL is not going to be a very fun place to live.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #11

LaCrosse is quite scenic, is big enough to be interesting, has three or four colleges in the area, is reasonably close to Minneapolis-St. Paul and is home to the highly rated Gundersen Health System as well as satellite operations of the Mayo Clinic. It's 90 minutes from Mayo if you want to seek medical care there. The health care resources alone make it a pretty good option for a retirement base if you're a four-seasons kind of person.

If LaCrosse is too big, Red Wing, Mn is also a lovely river town that has health care infrastructure under the Mayo umbrella. And, it's an hour closer to the Twin Cities.

Stillwater Mn and Northfield (where the James brothers met their waterloo) are nice, historic towns that have become TC suburbs.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:23 AM   #12

For those of us who actually like winter, MN and WI small towns are great. Others have mentioned Stillwater and Red Wing. I'd suggest Pepin, Alma, Hayward, Lake Geneva, Bayport.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Galena is a great town, but if LCOL is your goal, Illinois may not fit the bill.

I live in Illinois retired less than 2 years and am looking at small towns in Tennessee for a lower cost of living. Property taxes are suffocating homeowners here in Illinois and a large public pension deficit is a weight that will shape the future for Illinois.

Morristown Tennessee and Dyersburg Tennessee are the towns that I have an interest in checking out for possible relocation.
You will see from some of my past posts that I’m a big fan of the Knoxville, TN area; downtown Knoxville in particular, which I highly recommend if you want to live in a walkable urban (college town) environment.

If you want a smaller town/city, try Marysville, TN just south of Knoxville. It’s inexpensive, safe, has a small college in town, is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains, and is near lots of inland waterways. And, having lived in the ‘midwest’, I can tell you that eastern TN weather beats the cr@p out of midwestern weather.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
You will see from some of my past posts that I’m a big fan of the Knoxville, TN area; downtown Knoxville in particular, which I highly recommend if you want to live in a walkable urban (college town) environment.

If you want a smaller town/city, try Marysville, TN just south of Knoxville. It’s inexpensive, safe, has a small college in town, is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains, and is near lots of inland waterways. And, having lived in the ‘midwest’, I can tell you that eastern TN weather beats the cr@p out of midwestern weather.
You are right about East Tennessee. Greeneville, Johnson City and Jonesborough are great societies. You can get to VA and PA easily from there and also OH and IN for those that left relatives behind Property taxes are low and there is no state income tax.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:43 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Another exceptional, high quality mid size city is Springfield, MO--in the southwest portion of the state. It is another university town that is not enough but not too large. They entertainment mecca, Branson, is just south of there with the magnificent Table Rock Lake.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
You are right about East Tennessee. Greeneville, Johnson City and Jonesborough are great societies. You can get to VA and PA easily from there and also OH and IN for those that left relatives behind Property taxes are low and there is no state income tax.
On wages.

But the state income tax on interest/dividends is phasing out over the next few years:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_income_tax

And yes, East TN is amazing.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 02:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
For those of us who actually like winter, MN and WI small towns are great. Others have mentioned Stillwater and Red Wing. I'd suggest Pepin, Alma, Hayward, Lake Geneva, Bayport.
Don't stop there! Houghton, MI up in da UP has about as much history as anywhere, and it's a college town to boot.
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Don't stop there! Houghton, MI up in da UP has about as much history as anywhere, and it's a college town to boot.
Calumet also has a nice, historical feel. Dad's family came from the Marquette-Munising area, and I love both towns for their natural beauty. But you can't just like winter to live up there, eh? You have to be in love with snow, cuz you're going to see 100 inches or more every year. Plus, it's the better part of a day's drive to any sizable metropolitan area, unless you count Duluth (which is also a nice town as long as you pack your long underwear).
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 03:26 PM   #19

I also love the Harbor Springs/Traverse area of Michigan. And Holland and Zeeland.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 05:32 PM   #20
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Excelsior Springs MO. and a jaunt over to St. Joe.

I'll never stay in the historic Elms Hotel in Excelsior Springs again ever. It's a fine place but I don't care for the spirits.

Man, I was really into St. Joe as a possibility until I saw 1) the crime rate and 2) the ACA rates in that area. Do you have any first hand experience with the town? The architecture is truly amazing...
RachaelandtheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote