Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-29-2018, 05:35 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
Galena is a great town, but if LCOL is your goal, Illinois may not fit the bill.

I live in Illinois retired less than 2 years and am looking at small towns in Tennessee for a lower cost of living. Property taxes are suffocating homeowners here in Illinois and a large public pension deficit is a weight that will shape the future for Illinois.

Morristown Tennessee and Dyersburg Tennessee are the towns that I have an interest in checking out for possible relocation.
I hear that. We actually live in the far suburbs of Chicago now (born and raised). We're not looking in Illinois very heavily because, yeah, we want out. But I've seen some surprisingly affordable houses in Galena, so I was intrigued...
RachaelandtheGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #22
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
All the towns on your list have their charms, but I would also advise thinking carefully about the climate. You probably already understand what it's like in those areas, but have you thought about living there while retired?

There are so many great places with much better weather and low COL. I agree with Bamaman that starting with a list of college towns might be a better approach. Just a suggestion.
I think the weather would be less of an issue when retired because the main thing that stinks about it right now (we live in northern Illinois) is commuting in it. Otherwise I love snow, rain, the change of seasons, all that good stuff. I do like the college towns idea, though!
Old 03-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

http://www.westernkentucky.worldweb.com/

Paducah, Owensboro, and Murray, Kentucky are all interesting towns that aren't too big but still have things like the theater and symphony, the National Quilt Museum, major historical stuff (American Indian, Lewis & Clark, Civil War, and LOTS more). HUGE arts scene in the area too and some small/medium sized college/university towns. Decent amount of shopping and restaurants.

Western Kentucky in general is just a beautiful area. Lots to do and see, and do check out the Land Between the Lakes resort area that has fishing, hunting, swimming, boating, camping.
https://www.landbetweenthelakes.us/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chattanooga,_Tennessee

Chattanooga, Tennessee is also an lovely place. They may be becoming more expensive, but in general Tennessee is a low cost of living state with gorgeous nature/outdoors activities and a growing population of shopping/eating establishments. Great medical facilities, great historical sites (most of Kentucky and Tennessee are going to be chock full of stuff to do with outdoors and history).
Old 03-29-2018, 06:00 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelandtheGoose View Post
I hear that. We actually live in the far suburbs of Chicago now (born and raised). We're not looking in Illinois very heavily because, yeah, we want out. But I've seen some surprisingly affordable houses in Galena, so I was intrigued...
If you like Galena, you should check out Dubuque.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:01 PM   #25

Illinois is not as bad as some might let on. Staying away from the Chicago area and it's collar counties puts RE taxes more inline with other areas. For retirees, where Pensions, SS, IRA and 401K distributions are not taxed, it can be a good thing. How much longer will it stay untaxed? Who has a crystal ball? Historic small towns are quaint. I'm not sure how long that quaint will last for retirees with a limited group of social contacts with similar interests. YMMV. I think being close to good medical would be more important to DW and I.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 06:41 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelandtheGoose View Post
Man, I was really into St. Joe as a possibility until I saw 1) the crime rate and 2) the ACA rates in that area. Do you have any first hand experience with the town? The architecture is truly amazing...
St. Joe is a suburb of KC. We spent 38 years around the KC area. Moved away from KC a couple years ago. Some of my former co-w*rkers commuted from St. Joe.

That said, my response was to the wrong question. I thought you were visiting the area. I'd not answer the same about living there.

Research the area and visit. Like many places there's good and bad. If I were to move back to MO. I'd look south of KC. Love the people and the area just not the place I'll live now.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:32 PM   #27

I went to grad school in Columbia, Mo. Nice town -- big enough to be interesting, a university with a med school, two hours' drive to St. Louis or KC. The summers are oppressive, though.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:52 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
You will see from some of my past posts that I’m a big fan of the Knoxville, TN area; downtown Knoxville in particular, which I highly recommend if you want to live in a walkable urban (college town) environment.

If you want a smaller town/city, try Marysville, TN just south of Knoxville. It’s inexpensive, safe, has a small college in town, is at the foot of the Smoky Mountains, and is near lots of inland waterways. And, having lived in the ‘midwest’, I can tell you that eastern TN weather beats the cr@p out of midwestern weather.
Thanks for the tips Huston55
Old 03-29-2018, 09:00 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
Illinois is not as bad as some might let on. Staying away from the Chicago area and it's collar counties puts RE taxes more inline with other areas. For retirees, where Pensions, SS, IRA and 401K distributions are not taxed, it can be a good thing. How much longer will it stay untaxed? Who has a crystal ball? Historic small towns are quaint. I'm not sure how long that quaint will last for retirees with a limited group of social contacts with similar interests. YMMV. I think being close to good medical would be more important to DW and I.
I would agree with you if there was nothing to compare property taxes.

I am in rural Illinois and pay 3 times the property taxes for the same value house in Tennessee. There are no state income taxes in Tennessee so retirement income is also not taxed. Nashville and Memphis areas have very good medical facilities. I once loved Illinois and have been raised here, but the love is lost when they squander chances to save the state.
Old 03-29-2018, 10:46 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanWinkle View Post
I would agree with you if there was nothing to compare property taxes.

I am in rural Illinois and pay 3 times the property taxes for the same value house in Tennessee. There are no state income taxes in Tennessee so retirement income is also not taxed. Nashville and Memphis areas have very good medical facilities. I once loved Illinois and have been raised here, but the love is lost when they squander chances to save the state.
OK, Knoxville FanBoy here again.

But, so does UT Medical Center in/around Knoxville. Some of the best medical care we’ve received while living in 15 different locations in the past 30+ years; including NoVA/DC & the SF Bay Area.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:58 PM   #31

Hot Springs Arkansas
Fredericksburg Texas
Lawrence Kansas

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 04:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
OK, Knoxville FanBoy here again.

But, so does UT Medical Center in/around Knoxville. Some of the best medical care we’ve received while living in 15 different locations in the past 30+ years; including NoVA/DC & the SF Bay Area.
I would love to check out the Knoxville area, but DW says that is too far from the grandkids..... Happy wife/Happy life

Old 03-30-2018, 05:49 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
If you like Galena, you should check out Dubuque.
+1
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Missouri fan here
Old 03-30-2018, 06:54 PM   #34
Dryer sheet wannabe

Missouri fan here

After about a year of mulling it over and thinking about it, my wife and I are moving from a Houston TX suburb to Springfield, MO. It doesn't quite qualify as a small town although its only the size of our Houston suburb (180,000 people). There are at least 3 universities. Large enough for the amenities and small enough to get around. Easy access to the rest of the US via an airport of interstates. We found a wide range of housing from older historic homes downtown to small farms outside of town.

I went to college in Columbia, MO. The main challenge there is that the University and colleges completely dominate the town. Lots of people like the Excelsior Springs area but there is no college. We have a lakehouse at Lake of the Ozarks and its very nice ... but its a recreation destination, not really historic. Hannibal wasn't really for me ... interesting historic buildings but much of the town was run-down.

Off the wall suggestion ... in our travels, we visited Winterset, Iowa. John Wayne's birthplace & where they filmed "Bridges of Madison County". Very cute town, historic center and not that far from Des Moines.... but it is very small.

I was born in Kansas ... you could think about Lawrence or Wichita. Both have colleges/universities and are decent size. You can find older, historic homes as well. Personally, I prefer the hills of the Ozarks over the rolling plains of Kansas & Iowa.

Good hunting!
mokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 06:18 AM   #35
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokan View Post
After about a year of mulling it over and thinking about it, my wife and I are moving from a Houston TX suburb to Springfield, MO. It doesn't quite qualify as a small town although its only the size of our Houston suburb (180,000 people). There are at least 3 universities. Large enough for the amenities and small enough to get around. Easy access to the rest of the US via an airport of interstates. We found a wide range of housing from older historic homes downtown to small farms outside of town.

I went to college in Columbia, MO. The main challenge there is that the University and colleges completely dominate the town. Lots of people like the Excelsior Springs area but there is no college. We have a lakehouse at Lake of the Ozarks and its very nice ... but its a recreation destination, not really historic. Hannibal wasn't really for me ... interesting historic buildings but much of the town was run-down.

Off the wall suggestion ... in our travels, we visited Winterset, Iowa. John Wayne's birthplace & where they filmed "Bridges of Madison County". Very cute town, historic center and not that far from Des Moines.... but it is very small.

I was born in Kansas ... you could think about Lawrence or Wichita. Both have colleges/universities and are decent size. You can find older, historic homes as well. Personally, I prefer the hills of the Ozarks over the rolling plains of Kansas & Iowa.

Good hunting!
Thanks! I will definitely check you suggestions out and I hope your move goes well!
Old 04-01-2018, 06:21 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethebroker View Post
Terre Haute, French Lick, Corydon and Madison Indiana. Muncie is a nice sized college town, and close to Indy if you like that aspect.
Housing and property taxes are low.

Might add Bloomington/Nashville, and maybe Jeffersonville/New Albany.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with Mokan. DW was born and raised in Hannibal. She refuses to retire there. Having been there many times when her parents were alive, I can concur it's a very run down.

We're 3 years from FIRE, but looking at Springfield, Fayetteville, Bella Vista, and Mountain Home. Thought about Hermann but it's too small for us.

Enjoy figuring it out.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Might add Bloomington/Nashville, and maybe Jeffersonville/New Albany.
I lived in Terre Haute for the longest 3 years of my life. With 2 big chemical plants downtown, the place smells toxic. I drove through there recently and the place is as bad as ever.

The preferable places in Indiana are Bloomington and Nashville. Otherwise much of the rest of the state (and the Midwest in general) is corn as far as the eye can see.

Give me hills, mountains and lakes anyday. And give me towns with nice societies.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Affordable (and Safe!) Historic Towns
Old 04-02-2018, 09:27 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Affordable (and Safe!) Historic Towns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I lived in Terre Haute for the longest 3 years of my life. With 2 big chemical plants downtown, the place smells toxic. I drove through there recently and the place is as bad as ever.

The preferable places in Indiana are Bloomington and Nashville. Otherwise much of the rest of the state (and the Midwest in general) is corn as far as the eye can see.

Give me hills, mountains and lakes anyday. And give me towns with nice societies.

I haven’t been there since the 70s, but we called it “Terrible Haute”...

Indiana has the same problems as evident in many small towns and rural areas: meth and opioid abuse, chronic unemployment, dilapidated housing stock, vacant downtowns... But there are bright spots, here and there.

Southern Indiana has lots of rolling hills (The Knobs), and a fair amount of forested land, though there’s corn too.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
Agree with Mokan. DW was born and raised in Hannibal. She refuses to retire there. Having been there many times when her parents were alive, I can concur it's a very run down.
There's a lot of neat history along the Mississippi, but many of the cities on the river are a century past their prime. I wouldn't live in any city along the river south of Dubuque -- the poverty (and crime) there is just too widespread.

Another factor is the landscape -- once you get into Iowa, things flatten out. The Mississippi is prone to flooding. Mich of the river valley was devastated in 1993. I'd want to have the benefit of some elevation lest that happen again.