Join Early Retirement Today

Ah, Mondays...
Old 04-19-2021, 09:10 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ah, Mondays...

Perhaps it’s a cliche but, 10 months in, Monday mornings have become one of my favorite times of the week: Sleep until I wake up, drink coffee with DW and the cats until I am moved to do something else, go for a walk, or do some errand with no crowds. No commute, no staff meeting, no piled up urgent emails from the weekend... I try not to read the news or have any commitments until at least 11 a.m. every day, preferably none at all. Often, there’s nothing on the calendar for the whole week and I find myself, periodically, thinking, “Holy crap. Everyone else is at w*rk.”

I’m not going to say that life is now perfect. Like everyone, I’m still subject to emotions, moods and irritations, and it’s now 100% on me to occupy myself contentedly, but THIS is the luxury of simple pleasures. It’s still a novelty. Time for cup number 3.

I’m sure others get it so I wanted to share.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I often celebrate Mondays since retiring...it's a magical day. Talk about a transformation! Worst day in the week while w*rking to one of the BEST days when not w*rking.

I didn't get up until about 9:30, so I am still on my first cup. Also, the weather is absolutely PERFECT today so after this cup of delightful coffee I am going to walk the dogs, grab another cup o' Joe and then go mess around in the yard for a bit. I think an adult beverage will be in the cards this afternoon as well. What I WON'T BE DOING today includes: commuting, talking to co-workers, answering to anyone, doing endless conference calls or any other activity that I DON'T WANT TO DO.

And to your point of being 100% responsible for figuring out what to do with your day...even though this might be a challenge on some days, I will take that over having some one else figuring it out for me.

So, HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!
Old 04-19-2021, 09:18 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yep, Mondays are wonderful.
So are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday!
Love filling my days with my choices.

don't like to go out on weekends, too many folks out and about :-)
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

You guys are killing me!
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

It is kind of topsy-turvy.

Monday= Good
Saturday= Less Good

I can't say it is "bad".
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:29 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I've been losing track of which day it is, depriving myself of the enjoyment of "no Sunday night blues" and "no Monday morning slog." So last night and this morning I made a special effort to note the day and revel in my good fortune. Currently sitting in the sun, drinking a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea with whole milk. Later, I'll go to the public library and pick up the seven books that are waiting for me. And another cuppa after that.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:35 AM   #7

MARKOLA.... I'm still in the work force for the moment, But have a major different Monday description....
This is Monday on the calendar..... 1st day of the week....But not my Monday. This Monday was last Friday... Starting a week off..
My next Monday is this Friday... starting a 48 hour week...
my next Monday is the following Friday... 72 hours in 7 days... Funny thing is Monday is my whole weekend off...
My next Monday is Actually a Monday .. 48 hours in 4 days... and then Friday is my next Monday starting another week off...
Simple to follow yes?
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ah, Mondays...
Old 04-19-2021, 09:39 AM   #8

Ah, Mondays...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmitchell View Post
You guys are killing me!

I know it’s not polite to boast and best wishes for your own journey but I worked and planned for years and put up with all kinds of toxic crap to meet my goal, so I try to enjoy it when it strikes me.
Old 04-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
MARKOLA.... I'm still in the work force for the moment, But have a major different Monday description....
This is Monday on the calendar..... 1st day of the week....But not my Monday. This Monday was last Friday... Starting a week off..
My next Monday is this Friday... starting a 48 hour week...
my next Monday is the following Friday... 72 hours in 7 days... Funny thing is Monday is my whole weekend off...
My next Monday is Actually a Monday .. 48 hours in 4 days... and then Friday is my next Monday starting another week off...
Simple to follow yes?

Mind = blown. But good luck!
Old 04-19-2021, 12:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
Mind = blown. But good luck!
looking forward to Jan 1st... a friday night that lasts all month
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:36 PM   #11

I prefer the 7 day weekends over Monday.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:37 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boose View Post
I've been losing track of which day it is, depriving myself of the enjoyment of "no Sunday night blues" and "no Monday morning slog." So last night and this morning I made a special effort to note the day and revel in my good fortune. Currently sitting in the sun, drinking a cup of Yorkshire Gold tea with whole milk. Later, I'll go to the public library and pick up the seven books that are waiting for me. And another cuppa after that.
i detect a little too much british tv. tea with whole milk?, "another cuppa"?. that subscription to acorn tv or britbox is having an effect.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 12:53 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

For me, it is any weekday day while playing Pickleball in the morning, that at least once I feel lucky and happy to be retired.
Old 04-19-2021, 12:55 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

8 years in (Jan 2013) and I STILL love that Sunday afternoon feeling and the Monday morning NOT having to go to w**k!!!

Have you watched "60 Minutes" yet on Sunday night, and NOT had your stomach go to full knot mode because that clock ticking means the weekend is almost over?!?!?

Sometimes I turn it on JUST to hear that stopwatch!! So I can revel in NOT having a stomach ache!!! I don't even watch 60 minutes any longer...but that ticking clock ALWAYS made me SICK!!!!

Enjoy it!!! I sure do!
Lcountz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 01:34 PM   #15

Well, this thread made me check: After today, I only have 3 "real" Mondays left.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:10 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
For me, it is any weekday day while playing Pickleball in the morning, that at least once I feel lucky and happy to be retired.
I had to give up Pickleball, the group starts at 9:00 o’clock!
Never could get up in time!
14thMed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thMed View Post
I had to give up Pickleball, the group starts at 9:00 o’clock!
Never could get up in time!
Yeah we play at 9am. I can't really sleep past 7am anyway and honestly playing Pickleball is my #1 retirement activity.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:13 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markola View Post
I know it’s not polite to boast and best wishes for your own journey but I worked and planned for years and put up with all kinds of toxic crap to meet my goal, so I try to enjoy it when it strikes me.
And enjoy it you should!! 🥳
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 03:32 PM   #19

Even pre-COVID weekends were like my personal quarantine period. We live next to a county park and all the trails are littered with hikers/visitors on weekends. On Monday the park becomes my private playground again.

It's kinda like how I felt about summer when I was a grad student. Big beautiful campus all to myself without any of those pesky undergrads around. September was always time to grumpily head back into lab.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:23 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lcountz View Post
8 years in (Jan 2013) and I STILL love that Sunday afternoon feeling and the Monday morning NOT having to go to w**k!!!

Have you watched "60 Minutes" yet on Sunday night, and NOT had your stomach go to full knot mode because that clock ticking means the weekend is almost over?!?!?

Sometimes I turn it on JUST to hear that stopwatch!! So I can revel in NOT having a stomach ache!!! I don't even watch 60 minutes any longer...but that ticking clock ALWAYS made me SICK!!!!

Enjoy it!!! I sure do!
This post is pure gold! 37 more Sunday nite suck-fests for me!
Escapevelocity is offline   Reply With Quote