Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-11-2016, 01:20 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Zipcar might be an option, but I would need the service to be located nearby.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2016, 01:29 PM   #42

I have a few friends who go car-less, but they tend to live either in DC proper, or close enough in the suburbs where public transportation is more convenient. I'm not that far from DC, maybe 10 miles from the border. However, the nearest subway (Metro) station is about 6 miles away. Nearest bus to get you to that Metro station is about a mile.

My job is only about 2.5 miles from home. Alas, the nearest bus stop in that direction? About two miles. At that point, might as well just walk the rest!

I grew up around cars, so the idea of going car-less, and giving up that freedom, just seems so alien to me. And as for my car-less friends, in many cases they still end up catching rides from other friends. So they're still depending on a car...just not their OWN car.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:14 PM   #43

I would reconsider the bike as part of your transportation choices. I have spoken to many people who simply feel uncomfortable riding their bike in traffic. With some guidance, they learn how to ride safely and with confidence. There are courses you can attend from the LAB or simply look online for tips. And/or visit your local bike store and ask them to introduce you to a bicycle commuter.

By adding a bike to your transportation options, it will add 5+ miles to your easy commute. I do it often, including today! 30 degrees, nice sunny day. 5.5 mile commute.
savory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:25 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

To Big Hitter: Here in Florida, one needs a drivers license to operate a golf cart, even in a place like The Villages (where I don't live). I am not sure about insurance.
I have not driven for 15+ years due to a visual impairment, and have gotten by fine via my S.O., Uber, and living withing walking distance of a strip mall and a real Mall a bit further. In the beginning, I freaked about not being able to drive, but it has never been a real problem. If I lived not in walking distance of a food store, restaurants, etc., it would have been un-doable. (Can I make up words?)

Rich
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We've given this a lot of thought and can't do it right now with 3 kids. The car is very convenient even though we only use it a few times per week (bad weather, grocery runs, social visits across town, going out to city/state parks for hiking or swimming).

We are thinking about dropping from 2 cars to 1 since we haven't used both of them at the same time for the past year.

But we live in the city (kind of between the urban core and the start of the suburbs) so everything like parks, school, library, groceries, restaurants, and retail, and even some industrial supply places are walkable. 3 transit routes within a half mile in either direction to take us downtown, across town, and to the major hospitals.

Rental car storefronts are within a short walk too. Uber always shows a half dozen drivers within a few minutes, so that would work ($7-9 to downtown, a little less to pretty much every kind of retail imaginable other than an IKEA). I don't think we have a ZipCar type place within walking distance so I'd have to catch a bus to use one (and would probably just Uber it to wherever or get a rental car anyway).

So one day when the kids are out of the house we might go car free. I'm not sure how much it would save us because I'm just not spending much on car maintenance or operation right now since we drive so little. Depreciation is $1000/yr on our capital plan.

My expectation is that Uber (or a successor) will have self driving cars running at half or a quarter of the price of today's Uber and it will be a trivial expense to hop an iUber for a few bucks to go downtown or go shopping (the price of a bus ticket or metro pass in many cities). That might be 5 years away or 15 (or never depending on regulatory issues).
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Dropping from 2 cars to 1 car after downsizing to a small city was pretty easy after I learned that the second car was depreciating $200 a month - so after selling it - I consider that my rental car money - but after 18 months still have not rented a car.
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:39 PM   #47

We've been toying with the idea of dropping to one car. We're not super close to the bus (about a mile to the bus stop that services 3 routes.) But my kids take the public bus to school (faster and cheaper than the school district bus).

We've also been discussing, after the kids are launched, moving to a one story in a more walkable neighborhood. The neighborhoods I'm looking at all have car2go or zipcar available. Our closest car2go drop off spot is 2.5 miles away (with a big canyon in between so a LONG walk). For longer trips we'd rent a car.

I'm also considering getting a scooter... I could do all but the kid schlepping with a Vespa.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
I'm also considering getting a scooter... I could do all but the kid schlepping with a Vespa.
Works for a friend of mine (250 cc Vespa).

media.jpg
Old 01-11-2016, 05:15 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

no airbag on a scooter
Old 01-11-2016, 10:36 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
no airbag on a scooter
Then no recall needed
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:32 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I decided to check out a few trips that I take all the time if I used Uber....

A car is (well, can be) cheaper!!!

Today, did not go to the gym (which I should have).... so that is two trips saved...

Picked up DD from school to go to dentist.... one trip..... then went to the grocery store to buy my billion dollar lottery ticket.... then drove home.... now, I guess you could have combined them in one Uber trip, but there was waiting time etc. this...

Wait 30 minutes and then drive to dentist...

After dentist drive back home....

Then drive DD to music lesson...

Then drive back home....

SOOO, seven trip in one day.... say at $5 to $30 per trip...

Heck, the SUV cost 4 to 5X!!! Maybe I should become a driver and make some money from mine....

Heck, driving to the airport is a $120 to $150 trip... if I could get a round trip with somebody else that is good money...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:50 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We can take a Skytrain to the airport. No parking fees. Great service. And when we have guests, we meet them at the station.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Groceries will be a big part of a decision to go car-free.

Find out if some of the better supermarkets in your area will deliver for a fee.
gretah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:55 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretah View Post
Groceries will be a big part of a decision to go car-free.

Find out if some of the better supermarkets in your area will deliver for a fee.
Luckily, that won't be a problem in my case. Only blocks away.
Focus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

I just checked out a few trips, myself. Just to get to work, a 2.5 mile trip, would cost $5-8. So, that's $10-16 per day. $50-80 per week. ~$215-$347 per month. And that's just commuting...I do a lot of other running around, besides that.

Although, realistically, if I was without a car I'd end up either walking that, or riding my bike. I did walk it once, when the car wouldn't start and left me stranded at work. Took about 38 mins to walk home at a fast stride. Riding my bike might be a bit iffy, as one of the roads is pretty dangerous, but people do it.

And, if I was car-less, I'd probably cut out a lot of my extra running around. For instance, I go up to Pennsylvania a few times per year to attend various classic car shows with my friends up there. According to Uber, to get from my house to my one friend's house in Pennsylvania would cost between $132-176. Each way. Needless to say, if I was car-less, those types of trips would be out!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:37 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Today, did not go to the gym (which I should have).... so that is two trips saved...

Picked up DD from school to go to dentist.... one trip..... then went to the grocery store to buy my billion dollar lottery ticket.... then drove home.... now, I guess you could have combined them in one Uber trip, but there was waiting time etc. this...

Wait 30 minutes and then drive to dentist...

After dentist drive back home....

Then drive DD to music lesson...

Then drive back home....

SOOO, seven trip in one day.... say at $5 to $30 per trip...

Heck, the SUV cost 4 to 5X!!! Maybe I should become a driver and make some money from mine....

Heck, driving to the airport is a $120 to $150 trip... if I could get a round trip with somebody else that is good money...
I posted here last year when we sold our second car. No ill affects. Was a great decision.

We now walk to grocery store, gym, dentist, etc. Started to feel silly driving to the gym to exercise, when its only a 10 minute walk away. When you are retired, why not walk?

I am now thinking about going car free. We are contemplating selling the house and remaining car and moving into an apartment, in the same walkable neighbourhood.
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:27 PM   #57

I love having an electric car. It doesn't have the maintenance requirements of a combustion engine. The range of most Nissan Leafs seem to fit your requirements. But there is the annoying registration fees and insurance.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:17 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by davef View Post
I would reconsider the bike as part of your transportation choices. I have spoken to many people who simply feel uncomfortable riding their bike in traffic. With some guidance, they learn how to ride safely and with confidence. There are courses you can attend from the LAB or simply look online for tips. And/or visit your local bike store and ask them to introduce you to a bicycle commuter.

By adding a bike to your transportation options, it will add 5+ miles to your easy commute. I do it often, including today! 30 degrees, nice sunny day. 5.5 mile commute.
For the biking consider are there viable routes via side streets that parallel the major streets? I lived in Houston and by getting to know the side streets was able to go the 16 miles downtown (not to work) by bike. (The main street I avoided was an 8 lane street) Grocery stores within a mile or two were easy and add panniers to the bike and you can get a fair amount of groceries on the bike. If the town is flatish look at a three wheeled bike because it likley has a basket that will haul even more. Of course you do need a helmet, as well as wearing bright colored clothing, perhaps even in garish colors so drivers will notice you. If riding at night is needed now there are led vests that make you very visible far more than the old reflective vests. In fact with a three wheeler you might even get a battery powered led light string and put in on the back of the basket.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #59

My dream location is a high rise complex with a shuttle bus to the metro and other major locations as well as walking distance to a restaurant row.
I could use my car once or twice a month there.
lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:14 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
no airbag on a scooter
No... but I've been called a windbag....
<rimshot>