Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-20-2017, 07:57 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

If you are looking at western colorado, check out Glenwood Springs. It might suit your requirements.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2017, 08:00 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
Boise, Cheyenne, Spokane, Bozeman
Bozeman kinda podunk
Cheyenne has brutal winters
Spokane may be too big and it snows a lot there

Boise is really difficult to beat
Old 02-20-2017, 08:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Santa Fe is expensive and extremely touristy but lovely anyway. Flying out of Albuquerque is expensive: despite being the biggest city by far in the state it isn't a hub airport. Heck even the puddle jumper from Silver City flies to Phoenix instead so folks can have access to reasonable air fares. Just want to divest you of any illusion you'd be living in proximity to a truly major airport.

Silver City has better hiking and biking that anyplace in Colorado (take it from a 30 year Colorado and 2 year Silver City resident) but it is EXTREMELY remote. Good arts scene that reminds many of Santa Fe circa early 1970's and plenty of hippie types that still didn't get the memo about the 1960's ending and a really nice community but it is a very small town and Tucson (the nearest city worth spending extended time in) is 3 hours away.

Salida is a town of 5000 with the arts and culture of a city of 50,000 - truly a mini Santa Fe. Awesome hiking and biking, great cross-country skiing, okay downhill at Monarch. It is a long, long way to Denver airport though and nearest big city shopping is 2+ hours away in Colorado Springs (whose airport is a joy to fly out of but limited destination options).

In the end NM is the place for folks you truly love the very unique and very insular culture. Santa Fe has so many tourists from the east coast and California that it's easy to miss the fact that the distinctive NM Hispanic and Native American cultures really rule the roost there and aren't all that happy about "gringo" interlopers.

Santa Fe, mostly due to housing, is easily 40% cheaper than Boulder these days. S. Fe is a playground for the rich, while I think you have to be a bona fide Trustafarian or dot.com founder to be allowed inside the Boulder city limits anymore.

Have fun with the search!
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

New Mexico is a relatively poor state and it does have a lot of crime.This has been true for many years.

Oroville, CA has some cheap housing these days from what I've been hearing.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #25

Durango, Co
St George, Ut
Montrose, Co
Taos, NM
Prescott, Az
Old 02-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Bozeman kinda podunk
Cheyenne has brutal winters
Spokane may be too big and it snows a lot there

Boise is really difficult to beat
The phrase "windswept plain" was invented in Cheyenne.
That city along with a few others mentioned here (won't name the three) would be on my absolute bottom of the list.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Does Santa Fe still have the commuter train into Albuquerque?

Renting someplace for a year or 2 is always a good suggestion. Makes it cheaper and easier to move if things don't work out like you expected.
Yes it does have a commuter train. We were there in September and really enjoyed it. There is a big airport in Santa Fe, but there are just connecting flights to DFW , Phoenix, and Denver.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Taos nm, Durango co, Flagstaff az, Sedona az, Jackson wy, Bozeman, mt
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:53 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtn View Post
Durango, Co
St George, Ut
Montrose, Co
Taos, NM
Prescott, Az

St George is a great town but does not come close to meeting the OP weather preferences..
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #30

Northern AZ: Prescott, Sedona, Flagstaff, Peyson. for quirky & small but wonderful: Jerome (my sister lives there) In CA Placerville, close enough to Sacramento airport and activities but far enough to be its own town. My dream destination is Nevada City CA, maybe too small for you?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:53 PM   #31

The only drawback I saw to Santa Fe is the elevation. My wife was having trouble breathing and I took her to an Oxygen Bar. They put an oximeter on her, and cranked her up to 95%
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 07:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Santa Fe is an odd town in many ways and I think exists a lot on reputation. When you go there, it's not really what you expect. Traffic, urban sprawl, trashy fringe. The old town is cool and filled with fun dining and history, but other than that....
Old 02-20-2017, 08:57 PM   #33

So I am the forum member that suggested to look elsewhere beyond Santa Fe. It is not so much that I am against Santa Fe as much as I am concerned for the bad state that NM is. For such a beautiful state, it has just way too many negatives for me. OK off my soapbox.

That proximity to a good airport does limit some. As stated Albuquerque airport is not exactly on most stops, you end up transferring in Denver, Phoenix, Dallas or Salt Lake City a lot. Santa Fe is a small town relatively speaking, although the state capitol, it is around 75K in total metro. Trivia: Santa Fe is the highest altitude state capitol in USA.

The train that runs from Santa Fe to south of ABQ is the "NM Rail Runner", or as I call it "fail runner". It never even comes close to break even, and always needs big subsidy to stay running. Truly a failed economic project, thanks to being pushed into existence by former gov Bill Richardson, of pay to play fame. Although the CA new high speed train may overtake the fail runner as the biggest boondoggle project.

As for alternative locations, Grand Junction or some of the small towns on CO western slope side heading east to Glenwood Springs is nice. In AZ the northern part from Prescott to Flagstaff will give similar weather. Southern CO such as Durango, Pagosa Springs, Alamosa or even Trinidad might make OP interested. I always liked the area between Carson City NV and Reno, not as much snow as in the mountains, and a decent climate.

I think my best recommendation is to visit many of the suggestions for extended period and see what you can learn.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Looks like I am not the only one having fun with this discussion!

Nevada City, CA is indeed on my northern California radar.

Jackson, WY: isn't that where " the billionaires have squeezed out the mere millionaires?" Seriously, I looked around there last summer and the cost of housing is prohibitive.

Keep on having fun, folks! my roadtrip list is growing.
BarbWire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
The phrase "windswept plain" was invented in Cheyenne.
That city along with a few others mentioned here (won't name the three) would be on my absolute bottom of the list.
Are you including Boise in that list ? or just bugging someone ?

What are your thoughts on Boise ?
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Are you including Boise in that list ? or just bugging someone ?

What are your thoughts on Boise ?
I have traveled to Boise on business. I suggest anyone interested in living there spend some time there first.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:25 AM   #37

Silver City NM was our second choice for our retirement. Ms G thought it might be too cold after living in PHX. We still go to SC every 6 months to our dentist, 100 miles from home. Sedona, Flag and Prescott are all nice. We are a 3 hour drive to Tucson or El Paso airports.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I have traveled to Boise on business. I suggest anyone interested in living there spend some time there first.
You sound hesitant about Boise. Can you elaborate?
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:10 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
You sound hesitant about Boise. Can you elaborate?
I live in the West and have traveled to many of the towns mentioned in this thread. So my experiences are first hand and maybe unique in that I can compare towns within a region as opposed to just across bigger areas like east coast to west coast. So with that being said, I know a number of people from the Midwest for instance that find towns like Boise attractive. If I lived in Indiana and traveled to Boise I might too. It comes across as a cute town at the base of the mountains. The challenge with that is there are so many other cool, unique cities and towns in the West, many mentioned in this thread, that have so much more to offer.
So is Boise bad, not necessarily. Are there better options? In my opinion, yes, many better options.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #40

Send a message via ICQ to hesperus Send a message via AIM to hesperus Send a message via Yahoo to hesperus
Durango is terrible
hesperus is offline   Reply With Quote