Alternatives To The Norms

Don't want to stay where you are - check.
Don't want to RV - check.
Don't want to camp -check
Don't want to spend for hotels - check.
Don't want to cruise -check.
Don't want to rent - check.

Have you considered teleportaion? :cool:

Have you considered committing crimes around the country that have six-to-twelve month jail sentences?

Sleeping on sidewalks?

That's no camping, as most people will tell you.

Hammock strung between two trees? Well, that's like camping, I guess.

Last edited:
You mentioned the concern of picking the wrong place to settle down. Is it that? Or is it that you're afraid you'll get bored of one location after a period of time?

DW and I are concerned about the former. So for the first 5-6 years after we retire, we plan to road-trip around the country. Back roads, national parks, whatever floats our boat at the time. Spend a week somewhere. Check out the grocery stores. Check out the local library. Get to know the town more than as just a typical tourist. Call it a location interview, if you will. We figure after that either we'll have found the perfect location, or we'll be so sick of each other it won't matter. :)

You mentioned the concern of picking the wrong place to settle down. Is it that? Or is it that you're afraid you'll get bored of one location after a period of time?

I guess it is both maybe?

I think what DW and I like to do is explore. But, that covers many things including hikes, scenery, restaurants, stores, shows, skiing etc. Having lived in many locations, each tends to get somewhat routine after a few years. The explore factor is completed.

Many of my friends had this "ahh ha" moment where they visited a place and fell in love with it, so retired there. Everywhere from New Hampshire, to Colorado, to Texas. I have yet to have that moment.

I think what DW and I like to do is explore. But, that covers many things including hikes, scenery, restaurants, stores, shows, skiing etc. Having lived in many locations, each tends to get somewhat routine after a few years. The explore factor is completed.

Even though you've repeatedly said you aren't interested, your posts continue to point to the perfect solution: RVing.

Have you really explored all the varied RV options out there? Some are very upscale...

Have you considered committing crimes around the country that have six-to-twelve month jail sentences?

I think one of my first posts on this forum was about laws that you felt needed to be broken...:LOL:

I have yet to have that moment.

Think about what got close to that in the past and focus on that. Then ask if it will last until your physical abilities won't stand it. You have to self examine and be honest about what gets the neurons going.

The inability of one location to constantly stimulate for long periods is one thing that makes people ramble. You can also get pretty good at amusing yourself in a way that is not location dependent.

I can't figure out from these posts if you intend to have a "home base" and travel or if you won't have a regular address. If you plan on keeping a home, the rental by owner lifestyle is just what you are looking for. If you don't have a permanent address, then it might be the RV lifestyle....Even renting a place for a year at a time and then relocating involves moving things and restocking every apartment. That's not my idea of a good time!

Many of my friends had this "ahh ha" moment where they visited a place and fell in love with it, so retired there. Everywhere from New Hampshire, to Colorado, to Texas. I have yet to have that moment.

In Texas, we have "yee haw" moments...

Even though you've repeatedly said you aren't interested, your posts continue to point to the perfect solution: RVing.

Have you really explored all the varied RV options out there? Some are very upscale...

Good point...and I agree.

It is more the lifestyle. I know there are very nice RVs and that would be great. But where do you park the thing for a week? A month? Whatever. Are there upscale RV parks where you get an acre to yourself? The typical tightly packed ones that I see are not what I'm looking for.

Where do you do laundry? I dont want to be in a laundromat.

I can't figure out from these posts if you intend to have a "home base" and travel or if you won't have a regular address. If you plan on keeping a home, the rental by owner lifestyle is just what you are looking for. If you don't have a permanent address, then it might be the RV lifestyle....Even renting a place for a year at a time and then relocating involves moving things and restocking every apartment. That's not my idea of a good time!

You can't figure it out because neither can I. That has been my point. And you're right, the typical relocating and restocking is not ideal.

Was kind of hoping there was a service that would let you relocate from furnished place to furnished place. Somewhat stocked place to stocked place.

You can't figure it out because neither can I. That has been my point. And you're right, the typical relocating and restocking is not ideal.

Was kind of hoping there was a service that would let you relocate from furnished place to furnished place. Somewhat stocked place to stocked place.

That service would be VRBO or other options like that....our rentals start with TP in the bathroom and paper towels in the kitchen. take your suitcase and your personal electronics and you are good to go...

It is more the lifestyle. I know there are very nice RVs and that would be great. But where do you park the thing for a week? A month? Whatever. Are there upscale RV parks where you get an acre to yourself? The typical tightly packed ones that I see are not what I'm looking for.

Where do you do laundry? I dont want to be in a laundromat.

You've got some preconceived ideas about RVing that can be cured by doing a little research.

While I know of no commercial parks offering a spot surrounded by an acre of land, all are not the closely-packed "sardine" variety.

The best place to park an RV is in one of the thousands of RV sites located in a state, national or Corps of Engineers park. By far the nicest scenery and generally a lot of elbow room but usually limited to stays of two weeks so you'd have to stay on the move and do some planning ahead.

Upscale RV's (motor homes and 5th wheel trailers) have washers and dryers.

I'll give this topic a rest. It appears to me you are seeking a unicorn-powered perpetual motion machine. Let us know if you find one...

We lived full-time in our RV. It was a 45' Newell and yes had a full-size fridge and apartment size washer/dryer. It was very comfortable but even though we did stay at a variety of different RV parks from state/federal to upscale resorts we found that it was too "busy" and close for our likes. We would typically stay a month at each place. The worst was being in a nice area like Colorado and enjoying the clear air when your neighbor decides to fire up the BBQ or fire pit and then having to close up and turn on your A/C so you don't end up living in a smokehouse. And in most RV parks your patio looks right at your neighbors sewer connection. Doesn't matter if you're 10' or 50' away.
So we sold the RV and are in our 3rd month this year with monthly rentals from VRBO. One more month and it'll be cool enough to return home.
We like the monthly rentals. We have the privacy we like. And can do what we want when we want. Looks like this way of traveling will be less expensive than the RV.

Curious - how much did the monthly rental thing cost you?

Have no clue.

Looks like the OP needs to do a little more serious thinking and some online research to narrow down his options....they always say "the devil is in the details".... Not many options are 100% perfect! Compromise is pretty much a fact of life.

Short- or long-term housesitting?

I have never done this, and have no interest in doing it myself (I love my own bed every night!) but I think there are some folks who make a "career" out of doing this.

Perhaps investigate opportunities in college towns? University listserves? Craigslist? I know my aunt and uncle who were college professors took sabbaticals every few years, for 6-9 months at a time. One of the big hassles for them was finding responsible housesitters to stay in their house for the duration. Oftentimes a visiting professor, or a graduate student, or exchange students would fill the bill. They got a free place to stay, and my relatives knew the house was occupied and looked after. The housesitters didn't have to do maintenance on the property - at the most they might have to call a pre-arranged repair service, or a local relative (yup - that would be ME!) if something needed attention.

There may be other industries in which people take sabbaticals, but I am most familiar with the academic/college environment, since my extended family is heavily weighted in that profession.

Some housesitting gigs might also include petsitting, I suppose.

Just some thoughts, since it would give you a chance to try out different locations without having to commit to a lease, etc.

Edited to add: a quick search on "housesitting in the US" turned up a "matchmaking" service for housesitters: House Sitting Made Easy: TrustedHousesitters.com. Apparently you can join, create a profile, and be matched with housesitting opportunities.

I don't know anything about them; just providing the info as a starting point if it interests you. Good luck!

Last edited:
I like lots of things, dedicated to nothing.

I've been a life long golfer. For the first 10-15 years of retirement I see that as being critical to life. After that, skills deteriorate too much and I wont need it. I also enjoy learning and teaching so will be looking at universities and MOOC etc. I hate the cold (unless there is skiing), but do like summers in the Northern U.S. much better than the South. The food in southern Louisiana Cajun country is much much much (did I say much?) better than any other place in the world. Sorry world, I have been there and it is true. I prefer mild summers and no winter.....have yet to find that. I really enjoy going to baseball games. Would probably gravitate to the minor leagues.

Lots of possibilities with many conflicting desires.

Homer from Seattle here. We really don't have *winter" anymore. It might have snowed back in 2013 and melted by lunch.

What you hear about the rain is partially true but we are middle of the pack rainfall wise. Summers have been fantastic with NO humidity.

We have a MLB and a great NFL team. MLB is DT SEA. Minor league AAA is just 30 miles south. Biggest drawback is we are getting discovered and our transportation system is pretty congested (4th worst in U.S.). Having said that, if you're retired that doesn't matter much does it. Ha!

I have used Trusted Housesitters in the past to find pet sitters with excellent results. You have to build up a pretty good "resume" and have good references to get the best gigs.

I'll give this topic a rest. It appears to me you are seeking a unicorn-powered perpetual motion machine. Let us know if you find one...

I don't disagree. Just asking for options I've never thought about.

We lived full-time in our RV. It was a 45' Newell and yes had a full-size fridge and apartment size washer/dryer. It was very comfortable but even though we did stay at a variety of different RV parks from state/federal to upscale resorts we found that it was too "busy" and close for our likes. We would typically stay a month at each place. The worst was being in a nice area like Colorado and enjoying the clear air when your neighbor decides to fire up the BBQ or fire pit and then having to close up and turn on your A/C so you don't end up living in a smokehouse. And in most RV parks your patio looks right at your neighbors sewer connection. Doesn't matter if you're 10' or 50' away.
So we sold the RV and are in our 3rd month this year with monthly rentals from VRBO. One more month and it'll be cool enough to return home.
We like the monthly rentals. We have the privacy we like. And can do what we want when we want. Looks like this way of traveling will be less expensive than the RV.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info. Did you always have a "home" to return to and now have just switched the away months from RV to VRBO?

Perhaps become a wing-walker or flagpole sitter? Next summer you could run with the bulls in Pamplona. Or how about this? Cross the Darien Gap in a Folbot. Train an alligator!

None of these are yet ruined by over saturation!

Ha

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom