Join Early Retirement Today

Always Dress for Your Next J*b
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Always Dress for Your Next J*b

You may remember the old maxim about getting ahead in the world: "Always dress for your NEXT j*b." So, I wonder how many of us, in the year before we reached planned full FIRE status, came to w*rk in our pajamas? I didn't think of it then; almost wish that I had. :-)

-BB
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #2

underwear.
best way to get fired.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:35 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What you do is come in to work with your dress shirt untucked*.

Oh, wait, nevermind. That will get you promoted because you are "with it."

* - I really don't get this trend. I guess I am old.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:47 AM   #4

UP until the early 90's, depending on where you worked in my job, some places did old fashioned roll calls.
This consisted of The Sergeant calling your name as you stood up in rank and file and read off your assignment. Then you marched out of the roll call room and stood at attention in front of "THE DESK". At this point the lieutenant would instruct the Sgt to inspect us before turning out. 2 random items maybe shined shoes and a working flashlight. The the lieutenant would give us some words of wisdom and off we would go. This one time the LT got up, mind you he had to be in his late 50's looked about 80, started yelling and cursing at us about how we looked terrible and should be ashamed at our appearance. It was a midnight shift , he came from behind the desk and was wearing a uniform shirt, tie, and when he emerged from behind the desk he was wearing only a gun belt and boxer shorts with black socks and shoes. We were Howling , he was not a joker type of guy. He wanted to lighten the mood as we were in a very busy area(euphemism for a bad neighborhood, where shoot outs were all too common). If the Captain was working I dont know if he would have been amused, but almost 30 years later it still puts a smile on my face.

Sadly he was killed by a drunk driver several years later, coming home from mass on new years morning.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
What you do is come in to work with your dress shirt untucked*.

Oh, wait, nevermind. That will get you promoted because you are "with it."

* - I really don't get this trend. I guess I am old.
The funny thing about that guide that you linked is that they show you the limits of dress shirt length in untucked state with a model wearing blue jeans. So, right off the bat, dress shirt + blue jeans does not compute for me.

The new rule is no rules, I suppose.

-BB
Old 09-20-2017, 10:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
underwear.
best way to get fired.
That reminds me of the time my 19 year old assistant came to work with the micro-ist of miniskirts on. My associate director, a woman, said to her, "I see, Sally, that you decided to come in today in just your underwear!"

I had to take her (the associate director) aside and remind her that by such statements she could be charged with sexual harassment the same as any man in the office. She seemed shocked to learn this.

-BB
Old 09-20-2017, 10:56 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Well, since I wore a flightsuit during my w*rking days, I would say that is as close to wearing pajamas to w*rk as you can get.

My uniform today pretty much consists of t-shirts, khaki shorts and flip flops.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Barnfellow View Post
That reminds me of the time my 19 year old assistant came to work with the micro-ist of miniskirts on. My associate director, a woman, said to her, "I see, Sally, that you decided to come in today in just your underwear!"

I had to take her (the associate director) aside and remind her that by such statements she could be charged with sexual harassment the same as any man in the office. She seemed shocked to learn this.

-BB
Such is the world we live in. Walk on egg shells .
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #9

Blue Collar Guy,

1. I love your story of the LT in his boxers. Hilarious. What a guy.
2. Now, I understand your username better!

-BB
Old 09-20-2017, 11:27 AM   #10

Quote:
I wonder how many of us, in the year before we reached planned full FIRE status, came to w*rk in our pajamas?
This was one of the subtle perks about my career in the dot com tech world. The dress code was practically nonexistent. I think the only actual rule was, you had to come to the office at least partially clothed. I pretty much always wore jeans and a casual shirt or sweater, but there were some who seemed oblivious to the most basic, minimal standards of business/office fashion etiquette. Dingy, grimy, dime-store flip flops with plastic straps were one my pet peeves in this regard.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #11

County had a strict dress code .... blue denim unacceptable but color denim fine. Go figure

son is with my old department. It's dress pants & shirt. Preferably white button down unless it's casual Friday which means a color button down shirt. Accountants
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:09 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I generally wear blue jeans and a hawaiian shirt to work every day.
Johanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #13

Out for lunch one day back in December, I ran into someone wearing a sport shirt and khakis who works at my former corporate employer, a large (Fortune 500) bank.

I said I appreciated how back when I was working there the CEO would personally visit the various offices scattered around town and thank the employees around Xmas-time.

He said the current CEO still does that, but they make sure to dress up before that visit.

I didn't tell him everyone had to wear suits, every day of the week back then...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Except for wearing closed footwear (no sandals or flip flops), there was no dress code at my old job.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I didn't tell him everyone had to wear suits, every day of the week back then...
I worked for one megacorp which (finally) went to business casual in 1995. I left in 2001 and went to work for a small software company and then on to a consulting firm, both of which had very casual dress codes.

In 2007, I was recruited by another megacorp. One the day of my interview, I was walking out the door "dressed up" in khakis, an oxford shirt, and a blue blazer.

The Mrs. says "You can't go to an interview like that". I was sure she was wrong, but after some protests, I changed into a suit and tie.

I got to the megacorp offices and was shocked to learn that they still wore suits every day!!
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
The funny thing about that guide that you linked is that they show you the limits of dress shirt length in untucked state with a model wearing blue jeans. So, right off the bat, dress shirt + blue jeans does not compute for me.

The new rule is no rules, I suppose.

-BB
Yep. Maybe I should open up the "What to wear to a software engineering interview" thread again.

The latest trend seems to be dress shirt: untucked of course!, no tie, with jeans. Shoes are your choice. Socks and sandals will even do.

The dress shirt earns you points for being "formal." I mean, what the
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 01:13 PM   #17
gone traveling

OK I'm on a glide path and work out of the home as well. So most days I'm in PJ's until 10.
Luck_Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:01 PM   #18

I have a thin beard so was able to get away with this: at some point in the last year or so I started shaving every other day. The beginnings of a 5 o'clock shadow were evident, but not to the point of looking sloppy. I never would have done that previously.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Blue Collar Guy,

1. I love your story of the LT in his boxers. Hilarious. What a guy.

-BB

I enjoyed the longish lead-in too. I knew the punch line was coming and I wasn't disappointed. 😂

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:09 PM   #20

Our mega corp has shed the ties for the white collar workers. I didn't think I minded wearing my tie but now that it's been off for awhile, I don't like the days I wear one. Today it's only for board meetings or visits from outside stakeholders.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny dress pajamas