Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Always in seaarch of.....
Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Always in seaarch of.....

the perfect sandwich. I am a creature of habit but despite many repetitive actions in life, I am always in search of the "best or better" tenderloin sandwich, "best or better" chicken fried steak and "best or better" grilled cheese sandwich.

Well today I happened to venture down to a local organic food store to buy micro greens and a loaf of bread The bread offerings were limited as I was a day early of the next delivery. I did buy a half loaf of raisin bread with intent of using it for toast. I ended up using it along with Velveeta Cheese (Spread), and I have to say, this was one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever eaten. I assume the sugar in the raisins along with the butter for toasting, built up a crusty surface one doesn't obtain with white or wheat bread. At any rate, I know many on here have long surpassed eating Velveeta, but from a taste to cost ratio, it was spectacular. Having said that, maybe this thread should be moved to the health subsection.
Germonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-26-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
gone traveling

Spending time in Hawaii, SPAM meat in its many forms ( baked, cold, fried, etc) is my go to sandwich meat on white bread. During hurricane season in FL and HI, SPAM can come in handy.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:03 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A restaurant in our local mall serves up a foot long grilled cheese sandwich including applewood bacon, a fried egg and aioli spread. That is the best grilled cheese I have tasted.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:17 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The best fast food sandwich I've ever had is an Arby's Philly Cheese Steak. Great Value for a great sandwich...….

Next best is my left over prime rib sandwich from home. Sliced thin on a hogie bun while fishing in the boonies..
Stormy Kromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Reuben sandwich from some anonymous NYC deli. There's a light drizzle of rain outside and you have something to look forward to later that day.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:44 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The very best has got to be the jumbo Pulled Pork sandwich at Payne's Barbeque on Lamar Ave. in Memphis. It's smoked pork shoulder piled about 3" high finished off with a great barbeque sauce and slaw on top. The taste and tenderness of the meat is legendary.

You lose your whole face in that sandwich.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:13 AM   #7

We have plenty of good 'sammiches here in south Louisiana. But we call them po-boys. Or muffulettas. And a good po-boy is nothing like a sub.
Old 04-27-2019, 08:46 AM   #8

It's surprising just how good a simple cheese, onion, pickle sandwich can taste when savored trailside on a long hike.
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:05 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germonico View Post
the perfect sandwich. I am a creature of habit but despite many repetitive actions in life, I am always in search of the "best or better" tenderloin sandwich, "best or better" chicken fried steak and "best or better" grilled cheese sandwich.

Well today I happened to venture down to a local organic food store to buy micro greens and a loaf of bread The bread offerings were limited as I was a day early of the next delivery. I did buy a half loaf of raisin bread with intent of using it for toast. I ended up using it along with Velveeta Cheese (Spread), and I have to say, this was one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever eaten. I assume the sugar in the raisins along with the butter for toasting, built up a crusty surface one doesn't obtain with white or wheat bread. At any rate, I know many on here have long surpassed eating Velveeta, but from a taste to cost ratio, it was spectacular. Having said that, maybe this thread should be moved to the health subsection.
You lost me when you said Velveeta....I have to add it's funny to see microgreens and Velveeta in the same post.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
gone traveling

I always try the local joint's Reuben sandwich, and compare it with others, while i'm at it, I am a connoisseur of onion rings.
ckelly78z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
We have plenty of good 'sammiches here in south Louisiana. But we call them po-boys. Or muffulettas. And a good po-boy is nothing like a sub.
Had a great spicy shrimp po-boy on Bourbon St. last year. Delicious!!!!!!!
Old 04-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
You lost me when you said Velveeta....I have to add it's funny to see microgreens and Velveeta in the same post.
Don't the famous Philly Cheese steak places in Philly use some form of Velveeta instead of melted cheese? Not a fan....
Old 04-27-2019, 02:03 PM   #13

We used to call it "Scout spice".

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
It's surprising just how good a simple cheese, onion, pickle sandwich can taste when savored trailside on a long hike.
It's almost miraculous how much better everything tastes outdoors. Those miniature oranges, when you're in a deer blind at midday and they've gotten really cold? Aah, heaven.

Camping by its nature involves a lower level of cleanliness that you'd never tolerate in your kitchen at home. But there's no denying it imparts added flavor to even the humblest foods. I would never want to watch Vienna sausages made, but impale them on a whittled stick and toast them over a campfire and they're delicious. Not a sandwich I know, but the same holds true for a simple PB&J.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:35 AM   #14

My best grilled cheese is buttered Rosemary olive oil bread, one slice each jack, sharp cheddar, smoked Gouda cheese and three or four slices of crisp bacon.
Muffellato sandwich is my favourite at a restaurant. I used to drive 40 miles each way now and then to get a great one but they closed that location and only the original location 90 miles away is left. A little to far to go for a sandwich.
Old 04-29-2019, 08:51 AM   #15

Rueben
Cubano
BLT
Buffalo Fried Chicken
Grilled Cheese With Parmesan Crusted Bread
Old 04-29-2019, 10:03 AM   #16

The best sandwich I've ever had is fresh mozzarella and fresh pepperoni on a roll; the little family deli in Brooklyn we used to go to (back in the early 90s) made most of their own meats and cheeses. No dressing, no vegetables, just three things, including the bread.

After that, a toasted bagel with cream cheese, tomato, and bacon from one of the roach coaches. :-9
Old 04-29-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Don't the famous Philly Cheese steak places in Philly use some form of Velveeta instead of melted cheese? Not a fan....
Some in Philly use hot Cheese Whiz.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:10 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
Some in Philly use hot Cheese Whiz.
+1

I don't care for that but its how it's done by some. I grew up a couple hours north of Philly and our subs were nothing like Philly's. They'd use provolone on Philly cheesesteaks. The rolls were the most awesome things ever.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:33 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

A Philly cheeze steak will have provolone. As mentioned elsewhere, the tourist sub shops are below average. Sixty years of experience tells me so...
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:09 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germonico View Post

Well today I happened to venture down to a local organic food store to buy micro greens and a loaf of bread The bread offerings were limited as I was a day early of the next delivery. I did buy a half loaf of raisin bread with intent of using it for toast. I ended up using it along with Velveeta Cheese (Spread), and I have to say, this was one of the best grilled cheese sandwiches I have ever eaten. I assume the sugar in the raisins along with the butter for toasting, built up a crusty surface one doesn't obtain with white or wheat bread. At any rate, I know many on here have long surpassed eating Velveeta, but from a taste to cost ratio, it was spectacular....
I haven’t had Velveeta in forever (maybe last millennium in the one-part Velveeta, one-part Rotel tomatoes delicacy?) but I’d love that sandwich.