Amateur Genealogy

I was just reading something recently that said there is a very high probability, approaching certainty, that if you have European ancestry you can count Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, as one of your ancestors.

I was just reading something recently that said there is a very high probability, approaching certainty, that if you have European ancestry you can count Charlemagne, the first Holy Roman Emperor, as one of your ancestors.

Yeah, Charlemagne reached child-fathering age about 770 AD. If you assume most of us were born around 1970 (for round numbers) and a human generation is 30 years, he was 40 generations before us. Everyone has 2 parents, 4 grand parents, 8 great grand partents, etc. We have 1.1 trillion 40th generation grandparents. The population of Europe at the time was about 50 million.

So yeah, I'm pretty sure I can call Charlemagne my grandpa. I will try not to let it go to my head.

Seeing my grandparents were from Lithuania, at least that's what they said, it's possible I have Russian blood in me. Since I can't find records before about 1890, I hope none of Putin's, Lenin's or Stalin's bloodlines are connected to me. Or maybe I am connected to Russian royalty before 1917?

That would be so cool to have a King's bloodline! :D

Last edited:
I wonder if we may someday determine the genomes of historical figures by studying the genomes of their descendants (and reconstructing backward generation by generation)?

I know that we can't reconstruct genomes of parents from those of children alone, but if we have a substantial number of cousins and other relatives?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea to play with.

And frightening too.

My DNA was no surprise, just as my parents had told me.

My wife found out that her dad was not her father. Ooouuups. Her Ma had secrets she took to the grave.

And frightening too.

My wife found out that her dad was not her father. Ooouuups. Her Ma had secrets she took to the grave.

A relative is a geneticist. She says about 10% of births hav the father misidentified. It is actually common.

And frightening too.

A relative is a geneticist. She says about 10% of births hav the father misidentified. It is actually common.

Reminds me of a song - Sometimes these things get complicated.

I wonder if we may someday determine the genomes of historical figures by studying the genomes of their descendants (and reconstructing backward generation by generation)?

I know that we can't reconstruct genomes of parents from those of children alone, but if we have a substantial number of cousins and other relatives?

Anyway, it's an interesting idea to play with.
DNA autosomal testing doesn't include your entire genome, but there are ways to make a kit that approximates the deceased individual. On GEDMatch it's called Lazarus. It's described here, with references to additional sources. https://dna-explained.com/2015/01/14/lazarus-putting-humpty-dumpty-back-together-again/

Back
Top Bottom