Amtrak sleeper cars

If both trains and Africa are on your bucket list, consider travelling through Africa on trains. When I was in southern Africa for the Peace Corps 20 years ago, I travelled all over on trains. The first class sleeper cars were very comfortable and very cheap. I found it very easy to sleep on the trains, the motion seemed to help. All over Africa, they have these beautiful old trains. Back then, I think the cost for an overnight train trip in a first class sleeper car was about $2 US in places like Zimbabwe. I just checked and they are still quite cheap --- just $15 US for an overnight trip. It cost a bit more to take a train in South Africa from Joburg to Capetown, but still cheap and a great experience.

I haven't done the Coastal Starlight but have done the Cascades. The Starlight as of 2013 was not wifi equipped vs the Cascades is wifi'd, more frequent, fast and runs special promotional pricing (funded by OR and WA transportation) If you do the Starlight running up the coast, go to Eugene then proceed by Cascades.

You can buy alcohol on the train but inexplicable Amtrak takes a very dim view of BYOB, especially in coach.

We took the larger sleeper from Whitefish to Grand Rapids and back again. Very enjoyable.

The meals are included with the fare for the sleeper. The dining car is top notch. What's especially fun is that they seat four diners per table so you always have someone interesting to dine with. Er, that didn't come exactly the way I intended -- dont tell my DW :)

Most interesting were the travelers going to the Bakken. It's the wild west out there.

We met my sister's childhood friend on the train who has been an Amtrak conductor her entire working career. Was impressed by her intelligence, positive work ethic and dedication to safety.

We pre-booked/paid early. When we showed up to get our tickets to board we were refunded several hundred dollars. Apparently the fare varies by the actual number of tickets sold

Thanks for the info! Do you know if visits to the snack car are included as well? I'm thinking maybe they have punch cards, upc on the train tickets with an allotment or something to that effect...

Thanks for the info! Do you know if visits to the snack car are included as well? I'm thinking maybe they have punch cards, upc on the train tickets with an allotment or something to that effect...

There was a snack car but no, it's extra.

FWIW There was a wine and cheese tasting daily (included with sleeper fare.) But I recall reading recently about some whiney-pants complaining about guv'mint waste on Amtrak so maybe they don't do that anymore.

I checked the prices for sleepers in the US and I about fell out! My standard cost measuring stick is a cruise, and those US trains are like five or ten times as expensive. I could go double or triple, but geeze! Now looking at African trains...that sounds cheap, but much more of an adventure!

I think you should consider African trains. About 20 years ago, I took 5 different overnight train trips in sleeper cars in South Africa, Botswana, Zimbabwe, Zambia, and Tanzania and all trips were interesting. If you want less of an adventure look into South Africa and/or Botswana. The trip from Johannesburg to Cape Town is very modern. They have an ultra luxury train called the Blue Train, but I imagine that has US-like prices. The one train trip I really wanted to take was in Kenya from Nairobi to Mombasa. From Mombasa, you can go to Zanzibar which is cool. All the trains had great scenery and very fun, elegant dining cars. (I missed out on the Nairobi train because it fell off a mountain a few weeks before my planned trip.)

I checked the prices for sleepers in the US and I about fell out! My standard cost measuring stick is a cruise, and those US trains are like five or ten times as expensive. I could go double or triple, but geeze! Now looking at African trains...that sounds cheap, but much more of an adventure!

Thanks for the tip. I might have to take my trip in increments...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom