Another Best Cities to retire

Interesting list. Though not cities I normally think of (other than Austin and San Antonio) it's nice to see some variety on a list.

One would think by now there would be a definitive list! Quality of life plus financial/tax issues.

This list claims such, but I'm not buying it and it doesn't seem to correlate with other such lists. Plus there seems to be a new list every few weeks.

"They call this paradise; I don't know why. You call some place paradise, kiss it goodbye..."

One would think by now there would be a definitive list! Quality of life plus financial/tax issues.

It's the same as asking five economists for a prediction. You'll get seven answers.

It's rare that I find myself agreeing with more than one of the "top ten" cities on these lists, and I've been following them for decades.

The other issue is that in terms of considering a radical move, DW and I would certainly come up with completely different "top ten" lists. So, not surprisingly, we stay where we are.

The one good thing about staying where you are is that you know the area so well that you can actually pinpoint the "best" neighborhoods for your lifestyle. We've been here since we married 27 years ago, and DW has been here her whole life. As a result, when we moved to our "final" home last year we were completely confident that it was truly the best choice.

This excerpt from the article says they use "SeniorScore."

So where are the best places for Seniors to retire? To address that, SeniorAdvice.com utilized their, “advanced algorithm known as SeniorScore™,” which is comprised of more than 100 variables spanning four major categories:

Given the "social" habits of the inhabitants of The Viliages in Florida, I'm surprised that SeniorScore didn't place them [-]on top[/-] at the top (you know what I mean). :LOL:

Romance and STD’s: Inside Florida’s wild retirees getaway | New York Post

I'm assuming you aren't serious.

I seldom agree with any "best of" list on any subject.

All of the cities on this list are too large to be really great places to live. I like smaller cities outside of big cities 50 or less miles. That way I can see big city television and take in big city culture with a 45 minute drive or less.

Housing prices are usually more reasonable in adjacent smaller cities than in major cities.

Different people like different things, so I wouldn't expect any list (however complied) to work for everyone.

Personally, I like the amenities of a large city with good public transport, low crime rate and low taxes. Small towns and the country/beach/desert are nice to visit, but I'd get bored pretty quick. YMMV.

It's not even the preferences, even the tax situation can be very different. If most of your money is in a Roth, but you want to own an expensive house, you care about property taxes, not income taxes. Just the opposite for someone heavy in a tIRA, planning to rent.

The best place to retire is where you have friends/family who care about you. All the other factors are manageable.

Big cities... :eek::eek::eek:

Hermits and cities don't work together very well. I'm getting to where I don't like the occasional trip to the medium size city for shopping. And no, I don't get bored up here in the mountains.

The best place to retire is where you have friends/family who care about you. All the other factors are manageable.

Unless like us you purposely live at least 1000 miles from any family. We love our family but only appreciate them in very small doses.

:confused:

Ask DW if she would rather live a half mile from my parents or 1800 miles from my parents

When was the last time you were there? It's a pretty darn nice place with quite a bit to do.

During my W*rking years I spent a lot of time there. Wild horses could not drag me back, let alone to spend my golden years, unless I could not afford to live anywhere else, which is highly unlikely.

During my W*rking years I spent a lot of time there. Wild horses could not drag me back, let alone to spend my golden years, unless I could not afford to live anywhere else, which is highly unlikely.

my entire family is from OK - can't stand going there

alva, el reno, ardmore, ponca city, blackwell, shawnee, enid - :mad:

they eventually moved away, thankfully

My issue with this list is that all of these large cities have high humidity compared to out west. Of course, I'm also not interested in living in a large city but that was the intent of the list.

Lol, being born and raised in Manhattan, these list rarely float my boat. I'm a proud big city gal. If it doesn't have a subway, I'm not living there. :cool:

I'm in Philly now and love it, vibrant theater district and 90 minutes back to NY.
restaurants that do not belong to a chain.
I hated living in the suburbs, first, every thing closed at 10 pm. seriously:confused: and I knew I had to leave when going out to dinner meant going to a chain restaurant in the mall. I hated having to drive absolutely every where.

Now I do love the beach, so I want to be a snow bird, rent a condo on the beach for January, feb and March but after that I'm back in the city.

Tonight, free jazz concert at Penn's landing. love the city life

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom