Join Early Retirement Today

Another "Best Places to Retire" Article
Old 01-26-2021, 10:00 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Another "Best Places to Retire" Article

I always get a kick out of these articles and how they rank each state. Screen shots of the top 10 and bottom 10 shown below. No surprise based on the number of threads and posts, Florida is number one.

I note with pride that Texas is in the bottom ten. Hey, I tried to tell you.

2021's Best and Worst States to Retire
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Best.JPG (57.3 KB, 310 views)
File Type: jpg Worst.JPG (46.5 KB, 245 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2021, 10:07 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We live in #15, I'll take that. We lived in FL for 3 years, you couldn't pay me to live there again, but to each his/her own.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:18 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well quality of life #1 and healthcare 9th best. I'll take those. Affordability at 30th place sounds about right but much better than 50th place.
finnski1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

This is actually one of the best of these lists I've seen, in that the methodology seems well thought-out and the ratings jibe with my admittedly-limited personal experience (growing up in CA, years spent living in WA, NM and CO, current home in #17).

Will be interesting to see how these numbers change as long-term changes from the pandemic and work-at-home set in.
kevink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:46 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I wish I could find one of these survey things, where I could check off all the boxes I'm concerned about , and then it would calculate the values based on items that actually are important to me.

For example: Things I am NOT interested in this survey are:
Golf Courses per Capita*: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) -------> I don't golf.
Elderly Food Insecurity Rate: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) ----> I have enough money for food
Elderly-Friendly Labor Market: Full Weight (~1.43 Points) --> I'm not working at Walmart ever.
Old 01-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Don’t understand why Pennsylvania is so low. Healthcare is very good here and there are many affordable places.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 10:53 AM   #7

We're very happy to be living in our part of #45. As with all of these lists, the numbers are meaningless when you average things across an entire state.
Old 01-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Interesting data/chart!

I always thought I lived in the best state/area (#5/#6) in the US, and I guess this proves it. I wouldn't live any place else if they gave it to me, even thou it is flyover country and in the sticks.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:24 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Virginia #4. That's pretty good I guess.

We are from Texas originally but kind of doubt we will return. Family in DFW and every time we go there it just seems to be larger and with a lot more traffic. East or West Texas might be better. Plus snakes, scorpions, heat as REWahoo knows well.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
We are from Texas originally but kind of doubt we will return. Family in DFW and every time we go there it just seems to be larger and with a lot more traffic. East or West Texas might be better. Plus snakes, scorpions, heat as REWahoo knows well.
I guess it's all perspective. We came from a suburb of San Jose, CA, and the suburbs here in Williamson County, TX, seem a lot more sparse than they were back in the Bay Area. There is traffic here, but nothing like in California. The air is cleaner here, as is the water. It is hotter here, almost unending in the summer, I will give you that.

I have family and friends in states up and down that chart, and nearly every one of them likes where they are living. That's probably the case for most here.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:03 PM   #11

Really? The most important healthcare parameters? These change from week to week and may be totally irrelevant in six months:
Quote:
COVID-19 Positive Testing Rate in the Past Week: Triple Weight (~3.60 Points)
COVID-19 Death Rate in the Past Week: Triple Weight (~3.60 Points)
Ian S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:18 PM   #12
gone traveling

Have you seen the bugs in Florida?
And, there are gators and pythons.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Really? The most important healthcare parameters? These change from week to week and may be totally irrelevant in six months:
Good catch - that's just silly.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by statsman View Post
I guess it's all perspective. We came from a suburb of San Jose, CA, and the suburbs here in Williamson County, TX, seem a lot more sparse than they were back in the Bay Area. There is traffic here, but nothing like in California. The air is cleaner here, as is the water. It is hotter here, almost unending in the summer, I will give you that.

I have family and friends in states up and down that chart, and nearly every one of them likes where they are living. That's probably the case for most here.
It undoubtedly is a matter of perspective. Dallas County is not much like Williamson County. But someone who grew up in Williamson County no doubt would say traffic is awful now by comparison.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:48 PM   #15
Administrator

You can skip the article. The answer is Connecticut.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #16

Well, there are probably very few suburbs of any top-50 populated city in the country that have avoided growth issues in the past 10 years. And if our reaction to COVID-19 in 2020 is any indication, the move to the suburbs will be accelerating.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:50 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I haven't read the specifics as to the methodology, but I really have to wonder about the affordability. Delaware is more affordable than Arkansas? I have lived in both of those states and can't see that (except for the fact that DE has no sales tax) unless you live in "lower slower Delaware" in a chicken shack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Affordability.jpg (74.7 KB, 69 views)
Old 01-26-2021, 12:56 PM   #18

That's a pretty cold top ten list. The sparsely populated western states don't usually feature in the "where to retire to" threads on this forum. A quick look at Bismarck's airport shows that traveling internationally from North Dakota would require a connection to a US hub first. This list doesn't seem to pass the "smell" test to me. Mind you, I am sure ND can be a wonderful place to live.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:59 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
That's a pretty cold top ten list. The sparsely populated western states don't usually feature in the "where to retire to" threads on this forum. A quick look at Bismarck's airport shows that traveling internationally from North Dakota would require a connection to a US hub first. This list doesn't seem to pass the "smell" test to me. Mind you, I am sure ND can be a wonderful place to live.
I don't know...have you seen the large influx of folks moving to Boise, ID? Idaho is listed as the #1 most "inbound" state by North American Moving. Perhaps the same can be said for ND. There has been quite the exodus from California in the last year, so that might speak to some of it.
Old 01-26-2021, 01:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I don't know...have you seen the large influx of folks moving to Boise, ID? Perhaps the same can be said for ND. There has been quite the exodus from California in the last year, so that might speak to some of it.
I lived in Boise for 4 years. It's not really that cold there and it's dry, meaning not that much snow. Bismarck averages 46 inches of snow per year and Boise averages 18. Boise has a population of ~750k whereas Bismarck is ~120k, which is a substantial difference. I like Boise, but it's still a long way to the "next place." I always tell people that Boise is a great place to live if you like outdoor activities because you can do just about anything ourdoorsy within an hour of the city. But, if you want to travel and see other places, get ready for some serious road trips. It has been almost 25 years since I lived there, so I'm sure things have changed.