Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Must be all those dang mud chiggers that gum up everything from high school football fields to carburetors fuel injectors.

I live in a bottom half state - Washington. And even if only half of the tax increases proposed this year are passed it will go down farther. Imagine living in a state with not only the highest gasoline tax but also the highest liquor taxes.
I'm surprise Washington gets such a low rating.

I think there is something wrong with the ranking, as for affordability it is suggesting Washington is MORE expensive than Hawaii
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-29-2021, 06:14 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

You really, really have to want to live in those west coast states badly in order to put up with the sky high housing prices, high taxes, crime and riots. Such a shame. Of course I live in Illinois, but I have the excuse of being born and raised here. I would move out for sure if DW was on board. Sadly, she has been too attached to move no matter how bad it gets.
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:31 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

The list is ridiculous. There is no way that Texas is a worse place to retire than Illinois. Take a look at the numbers of people leaving Illinois and the number of people that are moving to Texas.

Not a chance that any state is worse than Illinois on this list, let alone 9.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 06:48 PM   #44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The list is ridiculous. There is no way that Texas is a worse place to retire than Illinois....
Have you ever lived in Texas? It's too damned hot!
Old 01-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
^ What he said.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:23 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I “lived” there twice for a total of 3 months for work. Working outside in that heat was terrible. Texas at 95 feels hotter than Arizona at 115 to me.

But I think retirees could stay out of the Texas heat because retirees don’t have to go outside if they don’t have to. I wouldn’t mind living there. But not in a big city.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 08:03 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
^ What he said.
You are, if nothing else, consistent. That said, now that we've been in Texas for over two years, I applaud your tenacity.

Quote:
I “lived” there twice for a total of 3 months for work. Working outside in that heat was terrible. Texas at 95 feels hotter than Arizona at 115 to me.
Interesting. Back in 2016, our kid worked in both Chandler, AZ and in Austin, TX on travel. Did not like AZ at all. Tried to jog in AZ in the early morning there in May and gave up. Has no such problem doing that in the Austin area, and still does it 4+ years later. I guess everyone is different.

Quote:
But I think retirees could stay out of the Texas heat because retirees don’t have to go outside if they don’t have to. I wouldn’t mind living there. But not in a big city.
We're 30 minutes (at least) from downtown Austin, and we're fine here in the suburbs (ask us 10 years from now!).

I did some landscaping work last April/May 2020 in the heat & humidity, and I survived just fine. Quite surprised I adapted so quickly (Sorry, REWahoo!). As long as I have AC available, I'm good. That said, I'm already working on swapping out some shrubs this year, and I plan to be done with that before the end of March. Just because I can deal with the heat doesn't mean I have to.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:24 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Seven degrees this morning in CT, wind chills in the negatives, and snow coming Monday-Tuesday. It really sucks when your job requires some outside activity... I could go for some “too damned hot” right now.

To be fair, we haven’t had a bad winter this season, but the older I get, the less tolerant I am of snow/cold.
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:32 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post
Seven degrees this morning in CT, wind chills in the negatives, and snow coming Monday-Tuesday. It really sucks when your job requires some outside activity... I could go for some “too damned hot” right now.

To be fair, we haven’t had a bad winter this season, but the older I get, the less tolerant I am of snow/cold.

-1 here in Southern NH without the wind. Yesterday was a -15 windchill and had to wear ski goggles walking the dog.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 06:35 AM   #50

Quote:
I spent a month in San Antonio one weekend.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
Good catch - that's just silly.
Another example of the need to be able to adjust the weights for your priorities. Pretty meaningless results.
Old 01-30-2021, 07:59 AM   #52
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrcunniff View Post

But you can always put on more clothes if it's cold. There's a limit to how much you can take off when it's hot.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:49 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Some of the unexpected results are probably the results of the methodology, that puts together factors that are oddly combined (concerns on opposite end of the lean/fat spectrum) or just downright inappropriate (why rate both retired tax friendliness and non retired in a ranking about retirement places?). And of course, as others had mentioned, individual weightings vary. I also find that certain quality of life measures are missing.

The biggest issue I have is that many of these states are big places and often have very diverse regions that vary wildly in these metrics (and your own financial situation will vary the importance of the criteria, at both ends of the spectrum).
oiseux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:33 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

We live on the coast of 27. Very happy here. Lots to do and a very affordable COL. It did get hot and humid in summer, but a quick trip to the beach for a swim is nice.
Old 01-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

California at #28?? I figured it would be way lower. In 70's and 80's I knew lots of people who were moving to California since about the mid 90's i have met very few people if any who are moving there and most of the ones who did mover there back in 70's and 80's have been moving out of the place.. priced out tired of the taxes, crime traffic or unaffordable housing and rent.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:48 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoiseBoy View Post
That's a pretty cold top ten list. The sparsely populated western states don't usually feature in the "where to retire to" threads on this forum. A quick look at Bismarck's airport shows that traveling internationally from North Dakota would require a connection to a US hub first. This list doesn't seem to pass the "smell" test to me. Mind you, I am sure ND can be a wonderful place to live.

I grew up in Fargo, we were too poor to afford airline flights and would have had nowhere to go if we could, winters were cold but as a native you just adjust adapt and overcome... no other options. snow in the winter and mosquitos in the summer. maybe 4-7 days crack the 90 degree mark all summer. And some years there are the Red River floods from the snow melt, been through 3 of those growing up

I like Nebraska winters are cold but not ND cold and I like hunting and fishing and low population states. No love for the east coast or west coast. too much of everything mainly traffic,crime and people. I doubt if we could save much or invest much at all if we lived in CA or NY or some other expensive state or big city. Lincoln is small and affordable.
ERObjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #57
Dryer sheet aficionado

Been hanging out in #2 for 40 years -- suits me just fine.
Getting pretty popular in recent years though...
someday soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:37 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
We live in #15, I'll take that. We lived in FL for 3 years, you couldn't pay me to live there again, but to each his/her own.
having lived in the gulf coast area for 40 years, +1
Old 02-09-2021, 03:41 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Washington, Colorado, Alabama, Louisiana, Missouri, Kansas.

As to the best the answer is:

'Yes Dear.'

Heh heh heh - If we don't live there we can drive there and visit.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:48 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by someday soon View Post
Been hanging out in #2 for 40 years -- suits me just fine.
Getting pretty popular in recent years though...

CO is a beautiful state.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote