Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Another list of best retirement cities
Old 07-08-2016, 08:08 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Another list of best retirement cities

This one from Forbes. I like Lincoln, Ne; Lexington, Ky; and Traverse City, Mi now, but maybe not as much in the winter.

http://www3.forbes.com/investing/25-...edium=referral
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I like to think about the options for relocating in retirement. If we do that, the purpose would be to build a house in a spot with a nice view, in an area with an agreeable climate and good resident services, public and commercial. Blacksburg, VA looks like a good fit.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

the only ones I'd consider are meridian (boise) or walla walla
Old 07-08-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

It's getting so that I won't even read this type of article any more, because you have to click on the forward arrow to find the next city - - in other words, click 26 times to get the full list. Maybe they make money for each click? I don't know. But I also don't know why they can't just list the cities on the first page and then let you click on the name of any particular city if you want more details.

Also, their criteria for good retirement locations is probably a lot different from ours. I still haven't seen Springfield, Missouri showing up in any of these lists, and it was by far our number one choice. Well, until we decided to stay put, that is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's getting so that I won't even read this type of article any more, because you have to click on the forward arrow to find the next city - - in other words, click 26 times to get the full list. Maybe they make money for each click? I don't know.
new vocabulary word - "click bait"
Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
new vocabulary word - "click bait"
Thanks for the respect. I didn't take the bait, so I didn't see if there were ads or not so couldn't tell if it was click bait. Was it? Please click and let us all know.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
. . . . . .Also, their criteria for good retirement locations is probably a lot different from ours. I still haven't seen Springfield, Missouri showing up in any of these lists, and it was by far our number one choice. Well, until we decided to stay put, that is.
I see "favorite" lists all the time, and I always disagree with their listed criteria and whatever subject they're talking about.

I will have to agree with you about Springfield, MO--college town with culture, not too big, not too small, great entertainment close by in Branson and surrounded by fabulous lakes. Everyone there loves it.

Other great retirement cities are college cities, especially if lakes are close by. They have so much life and excitement in them, especially if they're great universities with great athletics.

I was talking to a high school friend the other day that moved to the northwest corner of Tennessee--The Tri Cities of Johnson City, Bristol and Kingsport. She was telling me that people that get transferred to that beautiful place never want to leave--and they don't. Incredible mountains and beautiful lakes run thru the area, and they have fine colleges close by.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks for the respect.
you bet - it's a relatively new term
Old 07-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
you bet - it's a relatively new term
Yes, probably been around for only a few decades since ads began appearing on the internet. Remember the days when there were no ads on websites? Those were the days. I loved building my own websites back then.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I will have to agree with you about Springfield, MO--college town with culture, not too big, not too small, great entertainment close by in Branson and surrounded by fabulous lakes. Everyone there loves it.
I think it's terrific. It also has pretty terrific hospitals for a small town like that - - three Level One trauma centers (we only have one in New Orleans), and helicopters to take patients to hospitals in bigger cities as well. Springfield also has walking paths throughout the town, and the streets are laid out in a sensible way. I can't praise Springfield enough. Wonderful little town, IMO.

Old 07-08-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'll join in the praise for springfield MO. DW is from there, her parents are still there, and some of our closest friends have relocated to live and practice medicine there. Only problem is air service. If and when SWA starts serving the city, we'd probably consider it again--although it would be hard to leave Nashville.
Old 07-08-2016, 11:50 AM   #12

Quote:
It's getting so that I won't even read this type of article any more, because you have to click on the forward arrow to find the next city - - in other words, click 26 times to get the full list. Maybe they make money for each click? I don't know. But I also don't know why they can't just list the cities on the first page and then let you click on the name of any particular city if you want more details.

Also, their criteria for good retirement locations is probably a lot different from ours. I still haven't seen Springfield, Missouri showing up in any of these lists, and it was by far our number one choice. Well, until we decided to stay put, that is.
+1
Old 07-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
the only ones I'd consider are meridian (boise) or walla walla
I would also consider Colorado Springs and Corvallis.

Forbes has put out a similar list for several years now. It gives me a chuckle because Abilene, TX is usually first on the list. My older brother and SIL have lived there for years and I spend the Christmas holidays with them. Abilene has to be one of the most conservative towns in the country and does not have many activities that interest me or much natural beauty. Climate is so so.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
This one from Forbes. I like Lincoln, Ne; Lexington, Ky; and Traverse City, Mi now, but maybe not as much in the winter.

25 Best Places To Retire In 2016 | Forbes
Unless heat bothers you, Lexington KY is a very high class town. Winter is shorter than Cincinnati which is only a bit to the north. UK basketball, Keeneland thoroughbred racing, excellent medical facilities, SEC university, beautiful horse farms and countryside, Kentucky River and very gracious living, although that is likely slipping since I spent much time there!

Ha
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
I would also consider Colorado Springs and Corvallis.

Forbes has put out a similar list for several years now. It gives me a chuckle because Abilene, TX is usually first on the list. My older brother and SIL have lived there for years and I spend the Christmas holidays with them. Abilene has to be one of the most conservative towns in the country and does not have many activities that interest me or much natural beauty. Climate is so so.
good point - never been to Corvallis but the hills are chocked full of houses in springs. Doesn't it rain a lot in corvaillis?
Old 07-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
good point - never been to Corvallis but the hills are chocked full of houses in springs. Doesn't it rain a lot in corvaillis?
Of course, it is on the west side of the Cascades and averages up to 66" a year, but it is a nice place. I'm planning to retire on the dry side in Central Oregon.

Clarification: Corvallis rainfall varies from about 42" to 66" a year depending on the part of the city.
ABQ2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 01:57 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course, it is on the west side of the Cascades and averages up to 66" a year, but it is a nice place. I'm planning to retire on the dry side in Central Oregon.
holy carp that's a lot - I think we only get about 12" of rain a year here
Old 07-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Clarification: Corvallis rainfall varies from about 42" to 66" a year depending on the part of the city.
About 3 to 4 times as much as what we get over here in Walla Walla. I think you get webbed feet if you live on the west side of the Cascades for too long.
dand76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #19

Quote:

+1
And I kept looking for the town where I live and it never shows up. Not even close.

I read these articles and went to websites for about 10 years before we retired as I looked for the ideal place to live considering taxes, cost of living, weather, population diversity, proximity to military base and universities, outdoor activities, etc. Then I realized it was all here at my little house within a couple of minutes walk to the beach. I had been here all along since I started out in '73.

Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Here's the list sans the pretty photo of each and the verbiage about why each made the list:

Abilene, Texas
Apache Junction, Arizona
Athens, Georgia
Bella Vista, Arkansas
Blacksburg, Virginia
Bluffton, South Carolina
Brevard, North Carolina
Cape Coral, Florida
Clermont, Florida
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Columbia, Missouri
Corvallis, Oregon