Join Early Retirement Today

Another places to retire list - this one ranked by worst
Old 08-23-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Another places to retire list - this one ranked by worst

So this list seems about right to me, especially considering I live in the #1 worst according to them! Though I can't imagine that it is worse than numbers 9, 7, 6, and 2 for taxes and COL.

Their score is an average of Bankrate, Wallethub, and Kiplinger - so heavily weighted to taxes/COL.

https://moneywise.com/a/ch-b/the-wor...rement-in-2019

What say you?

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

i say ignore those "lists".
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I never agree with such lists. This one is missing a number of states with terrible standards of living. The quality of affordable housing is so important to me. Healthcare is often a criteria for rankings when perfectly good healthcare is often available for most ailments if one knows how to work the healthcare system--getting the proper physicians.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:29 AM   #4

For some things state averages do not apply to local areas.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:20 AM   #5

Any article that requires "clicking through" requires me to "click out."

Besides, my confirmation bias needs no reinforcement.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:08 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The trade-off is that both Bankrate and Kiplinger put the state near the bottom for retiree health care. Kiplinger says smoking and physical inactivity are widespread among Oklahoma seniors, and that quality nursing homes are in short supply.
So if you move to OK do you have to start smoking the median number of cigarettes reduce your activity level? Seriously, are personal lifestyle choices healthcare?
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:20 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thank goodness they down rate Arkansas. Otherwise people would flood to this state and ruin it for those who know better.

I find the study confusing. They often mention the many low-income residents in a particular state. But... If a member of this FIRE group were to move to such a state, why would that matter? It's not as though moving to a 'poorer' state means that a big chunk of one's savings and investments are confiscated at the border.

The only thing this article does is reaffirm my very low opinion of the modern media and those who involved in it.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Any article that requires "clicking through" requires me to "click out."
Same here. But, I feel patient this morning, so here's the list for those who aren't inclined to click through all that. From worst retirement state (#1) to less bad (#15):

1. Maryland
2. New York
3. New Mexico
4. Louisiana
5. Rhode Island
6. New Jersey
7. Connecticut
8. West Virginia
9(tie). Illinois
9(tie). California
11. Kentucky
12(tie). Vermont
12(tie). Arkansas
14. Oregon
15(tie). Oklahoma
15(tie). Alaska

I think they are very misled! We love being retired in Louisiana. Arkansas as well as other states on the list definitely have their appeal as well.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:34 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by USGrant1962 View Post
So this list seems about right to me, especially considering I live in the #1 worst according to them! Though I can't imagine that it is worse than numbers 9, 7, 6, and 2 for taxes and COL.
You and me both. The only saving grace is the income exclusion for military retirement went up. Kinda offsets PA considering their school tax. It is kinda nice having mountains to the west and the coast to the east.
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 09:53 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
It is kinda nice having mountains to the west and the coast to the east.
Well, yeah! But having Lake Ponchartrain to the north, the Gulf of Mexico to the south, swamps to the east and west, a high water table beneath us, and 61" annual rainfall coming from above us, has its advantages too.

With so much water everywhere, we only have to pay $3/month for more water than I have ever been able to use here. And think of the water sports! Sailing, fishing, and so much more. No forest fires, either. Well, we do have an occasional swamp fire (which they usually just allow to burn out, rather than battle). But the only negative effect of swamp fires upon Frank and me is temporary bad air quality since we are not right next to a swamp.

Here's a lovely photo of a nearby urban location, taken after a tropical storm in 2004:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clearview2004.jpg (577.6 KB, 55 views)
Old 08-24-2019, 09:59 AM   #11
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Same here. But, I feel patient this morning, so here's the list for those who aren't inclined to click through all that. From worst retirement state (#1) to less bad (#15):

1. Maryland
2. New York
3. New Mexico
4. Louisiana
5. Rhode Island
6. New Jersey
7. Connecticut
8. West Virginia
9(tie). Illinois
9(tie). California
11. Kentucky
12(tie). Vermont
12(tie). Arkansas
14. Oregon
15(tie). Oklahoma
15(tie). Alaska

I think they are very misled! We love being retired in Louisiana. Arkansas as well as other states on the list definitely have their appeal as well.

THANK YOU! They design those catchy articles then set them up for a high "click count". A scam.
TTWHTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:01 AM   #12

"First, your scenic drive to the beach might be ruined by some of the most congested roads in the country, or a surprise tornado, or a winter storm blasting in off the Atlantic."

Right on, because peak beach season also coincides with tornado season and winter storm season. Seriously?! Who comes up with this stuff?!

"You could find your retirement savings demolished by the state's high cost of living (17% above average)".

Mmkay, if a mere 17% above average is enough to "demolish" your retirement, maybe it was a bit too fragile to begin with? And of course these averages mean very little, considering there are going to be expensive, and cheap, places to live in every state. Of course, you might not want to live in some of the cheap places!

I guess I'm just a little jaded of these articles, because I've lived in Maryland all my life, and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I've never lived in the more expensive areas, though. I'm sure if I had waterfront property in Annapolis, or St. Mary's County, or some ritzy place in Bethesda or Chevy Chase, I might think differently about how expensive it is. Although heck, even in my current town, Crownsville, I'm within a couple miles of $1M+ houses.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:05 AM   #13

It doesn't work on this particular site but this link has worked for me in the past to create a single page from slideshow pages. YMMV

Slideshow-Deslidefier
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
"First, your scenic drive to the beach might be ruined by some of the most congested roads in the country, or a surprise tornado, or a winter storm blasting in off the Atlantic."

Right on, because peak beach season also coincides with tornado season and winter storm season. Seriously?! Who comes up with this stuff?!

"You could find your retirement savings demolished by the state's high cost of living (17% above average)".

Mmkay, if a mere 17% above average is enough to "demolish" your retirement, maybe it was a bit too fragile to begin with? And of course these averages mean very little, considering there are going to be expensive, and cheap, places to live in every state. Of course, you might not want to live in some of the cheap places!

I guess I'm just a little jaded of these articles, because I've lived in Maryland all my life, and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I've never lived in the more expensive areas, though. I'm sure if I had waterfront property in Annapolis, or St. Mary's County, or some ritzy place in Bethesda or Chevy Chase, I might think differently about how expensive it is. Although heck, even in my current town, Crownsville, I'm within a couple miles of $1M+ houses.
I think that parts of Maryland are delightful and it would be a great retirement location! Cost of living is a bit steep, but there are so many other, less easily quantifiable aspects of a retirement location that may be more important to some retirees.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #15

There doesn't seem much rhyme or reason and a list of anything so complex by 'state' has to be pretty meaningless.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 12:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Everyone wants something different. I hate heat and humidity so those states that have it are out for me. Some people want big cities, some small cities and some rural. Many retirees stay where they are for a variety of reasons.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:29 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

My only child lives (and intends to stay) in one of the cities rated worst, Seattle. So I am planning to relocate in a few years from the LCOL side of the state where I've spent the first 15 years of my retirement. I don't want to be old and be 4.5 hours away, some things are more important than COL!
Mmm Rrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:34 PM   #18

I dont care about state average taxes or COL. I care about my taxes and COL.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:59 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Everyone wants something different. I hate heat and humidity so those states that have it are out for me. Some people want big cities, some small cities and some rural. Many retirees stay where they are for a variety of reasons.
I actually would have loved to have stayed where I was and retired, if the neighborhood hadn't started changing. It was getting more and more crowded, crime was starting to move in and the school system was going to hell. I don't have kids, but my property taxes paid for the schools...and they always had their hand out for more money, and I'm sure eventually the county would cave and start jacking the tax rates up.

I only moved about 15 miles away from my old house, but it's a different county that's more stable, and a bit more rural. About three years ago, I started getting serious about house hunting, and figured I wanted a place that was further out and a bit more rural than where I was, but still close enough that I could finish out my career, and then retire to it.

I guess there's always the possibility that Maryland could start getting prohibitively expensive, in general, in future years. But, since I've already bought, and have a fixed rate mortgage, I figure the biggest financial hurdle, housing, is pretty much a non-issue.

My Mom and stepdad have been whining about getting out of Maryland for years. In fact, back in the early 2000's they bought a house in Florida, with the idea of retiring there eventually. But, they both retired in 2011. Eight years later, they're still here. They tried renting the house in Florida out for a bit, but now just let it sit vacant, and go down there for vacations. Their idea of moving to Florida was to save on taxes, but they spent a helluva a lot more on that house, and its upkeep, than what they'll ever save on taxes, versus Maryland.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 03:06 PM   #20
Administrator

It's expensive to live here if you are retired. It's also expensive to live here if you are working. In my opinion, it's worth the price. And we planned our retirement budget so that we could stay.

I also recall from my basic economics class many years ago that when demand is high, prices are high; when demand is low, prices are low. Maybe some of those places are cheap because no one wants to live there.