Another places to retire list - this one ranked by worst

I never agree with such lists. This one is missing a number of states with terrible standards of living. The quality of affordable housing is so important to me. Healthcare is often a criteria for rankings when perfectly good healthcare is often available for most ailments if one knows how to work the healthcare system--getting the proper physicians.

For some things state averages do not apply to local areas.

Any article that requires "clicking through" requires me to "click out."

Besides, my confirmation bias needs no reinforcement.:D

The trade-off is that both Bankrate and Kiplinger put the state near the bottom for retiree health care. Kiplinger says smoking and physical inactivity are widespread among Oklahoma seniors, and that quality nursing homes are in short supply.

So if you move to OK do you have to start smoking the median number of cigarettes reduce your activity level? Seriously, are personal lifestyle choices healthcare?

Thank goodness they down rate Arkansas. Otherwise people would flood to this state and ruin it for those who know better.

I find the study confusing. They often mention the many low-income residents in a particular state. But... If a member of this FIRE group were to move to such a state, why would that matter? It's not as though moving to a 'poorer' state means that a big chunk of one's savings and investments are confiscated at the border.

The only thing this article does is reaffirm my very low opinion of the modern media and those who involved in it.

Any article that requires "clicking through" requires me to "click out."

Same here. But, I feel patient this morning, so here's the list for those who aren't inclined to click through all that. From worst retirement state (#1) to less bad (#15):

1. Maryland
2. New York
3. New Mexico
4. Louisiana
5. Rhode Island
6. New Jersey
7. Connecticut
8. West Virginia
9(tie). Illinois
9(tie). California
11. Kentucky
12(tie). Vermont
12(tie). Arkansas
14. Oregon
15(tie). Oklahoma
15(tie). Alaska

I think they are very misled! We love being retired in Louisiana. Arkansas as well as other states on the list definitely have their appeal as well.

So this list seems about right to me, especially considering I live in the #1 worst according to them! Though I can't imagine that it is worse than numbers 9, 7, 6, and 2 for taxes and COL.

You and me both. :(The only saving grace is the income exclusion for military retirement went up. :) Kinda offsets PA considering their school tax. It is kinda nice having mountains to the west and the coast to the east.

It is kinda nice having mountains to the west and the coast to the east.

Well, yeah! But having Lake Ponchartrain to the north, the Gulf of Mexico to the south, swamps to the east and west, a high water table beneath us, and 61" annual rainfall coming from above us, has its advantages too.

With so much water everywhere, we only have to pay $3/month for more water than I have ever been able to use here. And think of the water sports! Sailing, fishing, and so much more. No forest fires, either. Well, we do have an occasional swamp fire (which they usually just allow to burn out, rather than battle). But the only negative effect of swamp fires upon Frank and me is temporary bad air quality since we are not right next to a swamp.

Here's a lovely photo of a nearby urban location, taken after a tropical storm in 2004:
:LOL: :2funny: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Clearview2004.jpg
    Clearview2004.jpg
    577.6 KB · Views: 55
Same here. But, I feel patient this morning, so here's the list for those who aren't inclined to click through all that. From worst retirement state (#1) to less bad (#15):

1. Maryland
2. New York
3. New Mexico
4. Louisiana
5. Rhode Island
6. New Jersey
7. Connecticut
8. West Virginia
9(tie). Illinois
9(tie). California
11. Kentucky
12(tie). Vermont
12(tie). Arkansas
14. Oregon
15(tie). Oklahoma
15(tie). Alaska

I think they are very misled! We love being retired in Louisiana. Arkansas as well as other states on the list definitely have their appeal as well.

THANK YOU! They design those catchy articles then set them up for a high "click count". A scam.

"First, your scenic drive to the beach might be ruined by some of the most congested roads in the country, or a surprise tornado, or a winter storm blasting in off the Atlantic."

Right on, because peak beach season also coincides with tornado season and winter storm season. Seriously?! Who comes up with this stuff?! :facepalm:

"You could find your retirement savings demolished by the state's high cost of living (17% above average)".

Mmkay, if a mere 17% above average is enough to "demolish" your retirement, maybe it was a bit too fragile to begin with? And of course these averages mean very little, considering there are going to be expensive, and cheap, places to live in every state. Of course, you might not want to live in some of the cheap places!

I guess I'm just a little jaded of these articles, because I've lived in Maryland all my life, and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I've never lived in the more expensive areas, though. I'm sure if I had waterfront property in Annapolis, or St. Mary's County, or some ritzy place in Bethesda or Chevy Chase, I might think differently about how expensive it is. Although heck, even in my current town, Crownsville, I'm within a couple miles of $1M+ houses.

"First, your scenic drive to the beach might be ruined by some of the most congested roads in the country, or a surprise tornado, or a winter storm blasting in off the Atlantic."

Right on, because peak beach season also coincides with tornado season and winter storm season. Seriously?! Who comes up with this stuff?! :facepalm:

"You could find your retirement savings demolished by the state's high cost of living (17% above average)".

Mmkay, if a mere 17% above average is enough to "demolish" your retirement, maybe it was a bit too fragile to begin with? And of course these averages mean very little, considering there are going to be expensive, and cheap, places to live in every state. Of course, you might not want to live in some of the cheap places!

I guess I'm just a little jaded of these articles, because I've lived in Maryland all my life, and it doesn't seem that bad to me. I've never lived in the more expensive areas, though. I'm sure if I had waterfront property in Annapolis, or St. Mary's County, or some ritzy place in Bethesda or Chevy Chase, I might think differently about how expensive it is. Although heck, even in my current town, Crownsville, I'm within a couple miles of $1M+ houses.
I think that parts of Maryland are delightful and it would be a great retirement location! Cost of living is a bit steep, but there are so many other, less easily quantifiable aspects of a retirement location that may be more important to some retirees.

There doesn't seem much rhyme or reason and a list of anything so complex by 'state' has to be pretty meaningless.

Everyone wants something different. I hate heat and humidity so those states that have it are out for me. Some people want big cities, some small cities and some rural. Many retirees stay where they are for a variety of reasons.

My only child lives (and intends to stay) in one of the cities rated worst, Seattle. So I am planning to relocate in a few years from the LCOL side of the state where I've spent the first 15 years of my retirement. I don't want to be old and be 4.5 hours away, some things are more important than COL!

Everyone wants something different. I hate heat and humidity so those states that have it are out for me. Some people want big cities, some small cities and some rural. Many retirees stay where they are for a variety of reasons.

I actually would have loved to have stayed where I was and retired, if the neighborhood hadn't started changing. It was getting more and more crowded, crime was starting to move in and the school system was going to hell. I don't have kids, but my property taxes paid for the schools...and they always had their hand out for more money, and I'm sure eventually the county would cave and start jacking the tax rates up.

I only moved about 15 miles away from my old house, but it's a different county that's more stable, and a bit more rural. About three years ago, I started getting serious about house hunting, and figured I wanted a place that was further out and a bit more rural than where I was, but still close enough that I could finish out my career, and then retire to it.

I guess there's always the possibility that Maryland could start getting prohibitively expensive, in general, in future years. But, since I've already bought, and have a fixed rate mortgage, I figure the biggest financial hurdle, housing, is pretty much a non-issue.

My Mom and stepdad have been whining about getting out of Maryland for years. In fact, back in the early 2000's they bought a house in Florida, with the idea of retiring there eventually. But, they both retired in 2011. Eight years later, they're still here. They tried renting the house in Florida out for a bit, but now just let it sit vacant, and go down there for vacations. Their idea of moving to Florida was to save on taxes, but they spent a helluva a lot more on that house, and its upkeep, than what they'll ever save on taxes, versus Maryland.

It's expensive to live here if you are retired. It's also expensive to live here if you are working. In my opinion, it's worth the price. And we planned our retirement budget so that we could stay.

I also recall from my basic economics class many years ago that when demand is high, prices are high; when demand is low, prices are low. Maybe some of those places are cheap because no one wants to live there.

By no means a hard and fast rule, but I've found that the higher COL tends to equate to higher amenities: be they services or scenery or both. Put another way, you get what you pay for. Now being retired, and not needing a job that pays, does help to eliminate many high cost places to live that are that way because of jobs.

But there is a reason why places like Key West or Jackson Hole or pick your own personal idea of Heaven are HCOL locales.

Nirvana, at least in this world, don’t come cheap...

1. Maryland
2. New York
3. New Mexico
4. Louisiana
5. Rhode Island
6. New Jersey
7. Connecticut
8. West Virginia
9(tie). Illinois
9(tie). California
11. Kentucky
12(tie). Vermont