Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #41
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have an anxiety problem similar to yours. Mine is out of control and I have needed help for decades. Very few people understand the severity of the problem. I have worked a high stress professional job for 30 years and my issues started about that same time. My career is winding down now and I have two weeks left.

I never was much for using drugs as a solution and the therapy solution was costly, time consuming and never seemed to produce results. I did like you and buried myself in my career. My employer benefited but my personal life really suffered. Now that I'm older my anxiety has gotten much worse and I seldom leave the house and my job is also suffering. I was a superstar for my company for 25 year but when I started falling apart they lost use for me. I turned in my retirement notice 10 days ago and the only thing I have heard was from the company that leases our company cars, they want to setup a time and date to pickup my car.

My company rode me into the ground and when I couldn't get up they just left me in that rut.

My hope/wish/theory is the job was the problem. I'm hoping that when I walk away I will also be walking away from the nightmares and constant feelings of fear that the anxiety brings.

I wish you the best.
Gary 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2020, 06:01 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We’ve been empty nesters for 11 years. I retired nearly 8 years ago, at 51. I had quite a bit of anxiety in the last year of work, and it took a good 6-9 months for that to calm after I retired. But, I had something to retire “to”. I had a couple of acres that I needed to finish landscaping and developing into a very beautiful piece of property. And I did it...but then we left the two acre place to suburbia in a new state. I have little to do most days, and the ‘Rona has made it so much worse. I’m actually doing what I never in my life have done before...the TV is on all afternoon, and I go stir crazy. After a while I get up and pace around the house. I feel depressed and anxious at the same time. I haven’t been diagnosed, but the symptoms of both are there. I’ve tried CBD for it, and for insomnia...I say it’s about equivalent to snake oil. I’ve pretty much come to the conclusion that I need to go back to work...not for the money, just so that I can get out of my own mind. So I’m going to take an online real estate course, get my license, and work a few days a week as a temp for new development model homes. That way, I can work when my psyche needs it, take off when I feel comfortable traveling again. All of the above said, I think one of the worst things we can do for the adult kids is leave them too much money...I know if my kids had our assets at this point in their lives, they’d quit work now and fritter both the money, and their lives away.
Old 09-04-2020, 07:00 PM   #43
Dryer sheet wannabe

Covid has definitely caused a spike in my anxiety and in talking to others, I'm hardly alone. I think pretty much everyone is dealing with anxiety atm. Diet is a big one, imo. Getting the sugar, dairy, and alcohol out is important-eating lots of greens, veggies. As others have said, exercise and meditation. I have more anxiety now than when I was working for mega Corp but less when we had our own business. I guess because there was a lot more risk then. But we still have some financial uncertainties so that is the big factor for me. If you don't have that uncertainty, then I think your anxiety will go way down. Though getting involved-get on a nonprofit board, volunteer at the animal shelter, be on a committee, these all give you a sense of purpose and accomplishment that isn't revolving around money.
veganbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 10:34 PM   #44

If you are open to this methodology, here's a site with many downloadable inexpensive hypnosis scripts that might be helpful for you. They offer a 30-day money back guarantee.

https://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/se...56595692544849

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 05:56 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary 1958 View Post
I have an anxiety problem similar to yours. Mine is out of control and I have needed help for decades. Very few people understand the severity of the problem. I have worked a high stress professional job for 30 years and my issues started about that same time. My career is winding down now and I have two weeks left.

I never was much for using drugs as a solution and the therapy solution was costly, time consuming and never seemed to produce results. I did like you and buried myself in my career. My employer benefited but my personal life really suffered. Now that I'm older my anxiety has gotten much worse and I seldom leave the house and my job is also suffering. I was a superstar for my company for 25 year but when I started falling apart they lost use for me. I turned in my retirement notice 10 days ago and the only thing I have heard was from the company that leases our company cars, they want to setup a time and date to pickup my car.

My company rode me into the ground and when I couldn't get up they just left me in that rut.

My hope/wish/theory is the job was the problem. I'm hoping that when I walk away I will also be walking away from the nightmares and constant feelings of fear that the anxiety brings.

I wish you the best.

Exactly. Similar employer issues here as W2R previously posted, and with which I fully concur. 40+ years of working basically in fear of corporate management and/or HR disapproval caused my inherent high anxiety to persist and quickly grow unabated. Me being too "dedicated" to my work and consequently too busy to care for myself resulted in a less than happy me. Since cutting the job cord upon retirement in May 2018 things quickly improved. I took up semi-long distance biking and in addition, a renewal of my Christian faith. Former helped physically with anxiety, the latter mentally and spiritually. I look at it this way: I will get and keep myself in reasonably good physical shape to maybe ward off the inevitable dirt nap coming, and when it does I will be at peace with my creator and therefore I am not in fear any longer.
The employer that I had been with the last 20 years and from whom I retired seemed nothing more than glad to get a 63.5 yr old off the payroll, and kept on rolling as if I never existed. My anxiety and fear were wasted emotions, self inflicted torture. Live and learn, right!?
mcbraemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by medved View Post
Hi all. I have not been here in a while. My plan had been to retire at the end of 2021. From a financial perspective, there's no issue at all -- we don't spend lavishly and have saved much more than we would ever need.

But about a decade ago, I developed an anxiety problem. Not just the usual "high stress professional" thing -- though that too -- but a more significant anxiety disorder, which has required psychotherapy and, at times, though not right now, medication.

The "best" way I have found to deal with this problem is to stay very busy. When I am working a 12 hour day, there's not much room for the anxiety. That is hardly a cure -- but it is pretty much the only thing that consistently works.

I have some concern that with retirement -- and more downtime -- the anxiety will be worse. Of course, I can "stay busy" in retirement -- find various things to do -- and I plan to do that. But it will not be the same level of keeping occupied as my job, which can be pretty intense, with long hours. And of course I do not want it to be.

Has anyone here made the transition to retirement with an anxiety disorder, and might have some advice?

I could of course just keep working, increasing my kids' inheritance and keeping the anxiety at bay through avoidance. But I really do not want to do that!

Thanks for any insights/experience/advice.
Anxiety disorders are rife in my family. I found that after six months of retirement, my anxiety (which significantly affected sleep and digestion) abated quite a bit. It’s now a rare night when anxiety disrupts my sleep, and my digestion is great. I think the slower pace of life and having time to be in touch with myself (i.e., being "mindful" in modern parlance) has really helped. I also drink a less alcohol now that I’m retired, which helps with sleep, digestion, and mental health. I drank more when working to take the edge off the stress, to relax after being "on" for 50-60 hrs/ week.

I wish you a lot of luck with this, OP.
Mantras: Carpe diem & Gratitude
PointBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:52 AM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Interesting info, TY to OP for bringing up the subject! Adding another perspective -- According to this guy, OP and anxiety are pretty normal -- Mihaly Csikszentmihalyl, PhD - author of Flow: the Psychology of Optimal Experience.

When we don't have something sorta' challenging (but not too challenging)... the gremlins of anxiety enter the psyche. Organizing our experience around new challenges as big as climbing a mountain or as small as memorizing a poem are the answer (the people in jail did the poem thing and it brought them peace.) Wonderful examples in that book.

Ditto to the poster on the full length version of Dale Carnegie book "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" When I read the interviews from people who went through WWII in Japan, for example, ... and how they coped? And CEOs with huge companies faced with strikes and bankruptcies... and how they coped? And how Winston Churchill coped through the War? OK. OK. Learning from the masters seems like a good idea. Reading it always brings peace.

And yes to Self-Hypnosis. Working on a 90 day challenge now. It gets past the cognitive brain with the monsters into the subconscious where some real healing can begin.
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
And...According to Flow ...
Old 09-06-2020, 09:56 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

And...According to Flow ...

people who have already organized big projects (like a 40 year career and early retirement, e.g.,) have to be even more vigilant about this anxiety thing. They have already grown their brain capacity for taking on challenges -- can't go backwards (have nothing to do) without a big problem occurring.

Once you grow that capacity to structure activity and reality -- well, it doesn't go away. Structure and a little bit of a challenge will be necessary to achieve "flow" - a state of conscious in the moment happiness. At least according to the author. Just giving a synopsis here.
Lstansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #49
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd second trying the THC if you are in a "free State" (or even if you aren't.) They sell edible candies here in doses of 2.5, 5, 10mg per piece. Most likely you wouldn't subjectively feel much at all from one 2.5mg dose. The anxiety from pot generally goes away quickly with familiarity. Worth a try as it is basically harmless and cheap at low doses.

Another more extreme thing worth trying is going on a ketogenic diet for a couple weeks. I would even recommend trying one 5 day cycle of
Fasting Mimicking Diet after becoming Keto adapted (3-4 weeks on a ketogenic diet). Ketosis - especially higher levels of ketosis attainable from a fasting cycle - is a very powerful metabolic tool. It is the most effective treatment known for some severe forms of childhood epilepsy, can partially reverse some forms of age and injury related cognitive impairment and can "cure" type 2 diabetes. The subjective mental feeling of being in deep ketosis is far beyond placebo and the measurable metabolic effects linger for several weeks after a fasting cycle. If you are interested in trying this, to know where you are at it is very useful. Get a blood glucose meter & a blood ketone meter (available on Amazon). I personally have now done 6 cycles of this Fasting Mimicking Diet over the last year with rather profound measurable effects, including some mental.

I also find extended low exertion exercise calming. My favorite is biking. An hour on a road bike is not very mentally engaging and lets me zone out. A trail ride on a mountain bike is a lot more mentally engaging and distracting. I find being "in shape" has lots of mood enhancement.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I have a life long friend who suffers with this, after decades, he finally found something that works and works without side effects - KSM66, a form of ashwaghanda
SunnyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #51
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing View Post
I personally have now done 6 cycles of this Fasting Mimicking Diet over the last year with rather profound measurable effects, including some mental.

Interesting. I just read Dr. Longo's book. Did you buy the fasting food from the company he is affiliated with or do it on your own?
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #52
gone traveling

Try getting regular massages or at Planet Fitness gyms they have massage chairs and massage beds included in the membership. Kava tea can be helpful too.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 05:31 PM   #53

Get an acerage and grow everything you eat. That should keep you very busy, happy and healthy. I plan to do just that for a different reason: my shopping disorder.
pjigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #54

Interesting thread! I have been retired for about 7 years now. I have always been a worrier and overthinker. Also have boredom to go along with the anxiety. Don't want to use drugs to calm down, but I do drink beer to relax. My anxiety is about having to trust other people. I'll be reading this thread.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:57 AM   #55
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was reading about Mindfulness Meditation & saw few Videos on YouTube.

I wonder if anybody here would comment if they do that or know about it.

It is supposed to help with stress/ anxiety. & there are some phone apps for that .... headspace.. etc

Thanks
rkser is offline   Reply With Quote
anxiety and retirement
Old 09-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

anxiety and retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post

It is supposed to help with stress/ anxiety. & there are some phone apps for that .... headspace.. etc

Thanks

I’ve been practicing for years now and like it. Plus, it doesn’t cost a thing. A good, simple timer is nice to have but not necessary. I use one for iOS called “Meditation Timer Pro”:

http://www.maxwellapps.com/apps.html

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
Don't want to use drugs to calm down, but I do drink beer to relax.
Thanks for finally saying this. Alcohol is the #1 "go to" solution. Amazing there hasn't been more replies (confessions?) saying this. Especially with COVID-19.

Along with anxiety, is usually boredom and fear. Hello COVID, and thus alcohol!

No, alcohol isn't a solution, BUT most folks use it, and it works for however long that it works.

I've been into meditation and mindfulness for almost 7 years. There is a point, anywhere in the process, where your mind will not accept these things, and alcohol is one of the solutions. The real problem with alcohol comes with getting older and your body starts rebelling against digesting any of the alcohol delivery methods. It is a sad day...

The other thing about most anxiety is it really isn't specific. You may think it is, but solve that one anxiety problem and soon another will replace it. I guess the label is "Generalized Anxiety Disorder", but really, it's just that you have anxiety.

Find peace where you can, but remember, we will all be at peace one day. It's a Buddhist truth that you have to learn to accept.

Just my two cents worth, and probably not worth much.
Old 09-17-2020, 12:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkser View Post

Thanks
I've been into meditation for 15 years, with guidance from a reputable master, and find it to be a great solution for anxiety. Training your mental "hand" to open up and let go of things gets at the root cause of anxiety, which is reliance on conditions for peace of mind. Exercise and alcohol can provide some relief of course, but tend not to let you clearly comprehend the mental "mechanism" that clings to unhelpful thoughts. Also, it's easy to get attached to the processes and experiences involved, which can eventually cause new forms of dissatisfaction, such as when you get injured and can't exercise or when you wake up with a hangover.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 03:53 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Vitamin D deficiency can also cause depression and anxiety -

"In addition to its well-known role in calcium absorption, vitamin D activates genes that regulate the immune system and release neurotransmitters (e.g., dopamine, serotonin) that affect brain function and development."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-d-deficiency
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:48 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Vitamin D deficiency can also cause depression and anxiety -

"In addition to its well-known role in calcium absorption, vitamin D activates genes that regulate the immune system and release neurotransmitters (e.g., dopamine, serotonin) that affect brain function and development."
https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...n-d-deficiency
Thanks for posting this. I have suffered from SAD and it stinks. The relationship between Vitamin D and depression could be important for me this year as we're getting less exposure to the sun due to Covid-19.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote