Any hobbies that generate some bonus income?

I became an arborist. "Fell " into tree felling, removal, trimming, pruning. So far I enjoy the challenges and only bid jobs I can handle. I've been in business about 6months and have learned more than I thought possible and have a new appreciation for arboriculture.

Without being too much of a wet blanket, as soon as you set a price on a thing, and that thing is purchased by someone who isn't family or a close friend, you're out of hobby land and into business. That's ok! But that does come with a whole lot of other considerations.

This. We really like old tribal rugs - volunteered at rug shows across the country, mixed with some of the major people, had a good time. Had a mentor, bought a bunch of rugs, started buying a few dozen at a time. Sold them on Ebay, keeping the ones we wanted. The more I did that the more I focused on selling and soon I was selling rugs I really miss. Sure, we have a stack of rugs that we like, but I regret selling some of the others, and it was all because business took over from fun.

I encouraged a friend who had retired from air traffic control to take a metal sculpture class with me at the local college. He got hooked and now spends a majority of his time as a blacksmith and metal sculpture artist from recycled materials. Although he sells some of his sculptures he won't do consignment. That would make it more like a job.
You just never know what will "float your boat". Keep looking.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom