Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-20-2021, 09:32 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've always been a reader, and also somewhat OCC. So once I retired and started reading more on my phone using Kindle I would keep a list of errors I'd find and email these to the author. Some would respond with a thanks, others would send me a free book, and lots of no responses. Fast forward to a few years ago and I got into a conversation with an author who encouraged me to start charging for proofreading. I now have about 5 regular authors and occasionally will pick up a job here and there. It's something I enjoy doing and would be doing it whether or not I get paid. But getting paid provides me with the feeling of producing work for pay. But the downside is now I can't read anything without finding the errors. Especially on social media.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 11:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
I do some wood carving and have sold them all over the US. I didn't do it for that purpose but ended up people wanted them. I only do about 4 to 5 a year and haven't finished one now since last fall. I do have one started but I haven't been inspired enough to finish it. Not something I do to make extra money it just kind of happened. I have a store that has repeatedly wanting me to bring more of my work in but I haven't. I never want it to be a job.
Wow...they are impressive! Awesome work!!!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:48 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
There is guy in my former Mega Corp that was laid off. His side gig was detailing cars. He has so much business he is busy for the next few months.
Not only is this a good "side gig" it's a great primary gig, too. There was a high school aged kid that I used to detail one of our cars about a year ago (mobile service). He did awesome work and was very reasonable on price. Now, he has 7 employees and has over 500 5 star reviews on Google; it's a remarkable story of entrepreneurship!
Old 05-20-2021, 11:52 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
I've always been a reader, and also somewhat OCC. So once I retired and started reading more on my phone using Kindle I would keep a list of errors I'd find and email these to the author. Some would respond with a thanks, others would send me a free book, and lots of no responses. Fast forward to a few years ago and I got into a conversation with an author who encouraged me to start charging for proofreading. I now have about 5 regular authors and occasionally will pick up a job here and there. It's something I enjoy doing and would be doing it whether or not I get paid. But getting paid provides me with the feeling of producing work for pay. But the downside is now I can't read anything without finding the errors. Especially on social media.
Thank you for what you do, seriously. Although I am not great at the English language, I do try. I see SOOO many glaring errors in many Kindle books and it boggles my mind. Do they not use editors AT ALL or do they suck THAT BAD!?
Old 05-20-2021, 07:13 PM   #25

Any hobbies that generate some bonus income?

My personal criteria for any paying hobbies I get into seem to include:

1). I have to actually enjoy doing the thing. I looked at a bunch of ďmake money on the InternetĒ type hustles. After listening to dozens of inspiring podcasts about podcasters, bloggers, and e-commerce success stories doing all sorts of creative things, I finally realized, very simply, that I donít want to spend lots of time in front of a computer, not even if itís on a laptop on a beach on the other side of the world. I do my little furniture flipping gig entirely on my cell phone.

2) I can start it up or shut it down at will.

3) It is portable. I suppose I could flip furniture while snowbirding, if we rent a place with a garage, but weíll see. I donít need the money, just the entertainment. Furniture flipping is likely a May - October thing.

4) I can do the thing exactly when I want to and not do it when I donít.

5) No boss. Never again. The only other person Iím accountable to is my dear wife.

6) No employees.

7) No website to create and maintain. Iím looking for fun gigs that leverage existing platforms. I like Facebook Marketplace and Iím looking into RVshare and Outdoorsy as future side gig possibilities for my next vehicle purchase.

8) Minimal or no taxes. Cash is king. If a side hustle catches fire, Iíll keep it legal but Iím not going to torture myself to pay the government a few hundred bucks.

9) When I satisfy my interest in the thing, Iíll do something else. I like to stay curious, active, creative and I really enjoy earning a little easy jingle jangle.

10) Obviously, I wonít take on any debt.
Markola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:03 PM   #26

I became an arborist. "Fell " into tree felling, removal, trimming, pruning. So far I enjoy the challenges and only bid jobs I can handle. I've been in business about 6months and have learned more than I thought possible and have a new appreciation for arboriculture.

FIRE in 2031 @ 50yrs old (+/- 2yrs) w/ a hypothetical $2.5mil portfolio, 3 appreciated homes worth $1.0mil and rental income to fund my gap years until RMD. Assets will go to an inherited IRA where I plan on watching the investments grow until I die or the trust gets executed.
kgtest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 08:32 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Without being too much of a wet blanket, as soon as you set a price on a thing, and that thing is purchased by someone who isn't family or a close friend, you're out of hobby land and into business. That's ok! But that does come with a whole lot of other considerations.
This. We really like old tribal rugs - volunteered at rug shows across the country, mixed with some of the major people, had a good time. Had a mentor, bought a bunch of rugs, started buying a few dozen at a time. Sold them on Ebay, keeping the ones we wanted. The more I did that the more I focused on selling and soon I was selling rugs I really miss. Sure, we have a stack of rugs that we like, but I regret selling some of the others, and it was all because business took over from fun.
Old 05-21-2021, 09:25 AM   #28

I encouraged a friend who had retired from air traffic control to take a metal sculpture class with me at the local college. He got hooked and now spends a majority of his time as a blacksmith and metal sculpture artist from recycled materials. Although he sells some of his sculptures he won't do consignment. That would make it more like a job.
You just never know what will "float your boat". Keep looking.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote