Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

For coastal areas, I would suggest as long a kayak as you can handle. Do not get a sit-atop.

As others have said, go on a guided rental trip - maybe even a couple or more. See how you like it, see what feels comfortable, see how fatiguing it is for you. Good paddling technique helps - uses your core as well as your arms. I 2nd the recommendation of gloves. Paddling gloves are readily available on the interwebs and likely wherever you would acquire your kayak.

Happy boating!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2020, 07:42 AM   #22

DW and I each have our own, I would recommend that over a 2 person model. We fish from them and just enjoy ourselves on rivers and small lakes here in MN. We love them.

We have Perceptions, I believe mine is a Swifty. Hers is similar. Both are about 9' and we haul them in the back of my Pickup. Get a model with a keel which adds stability, some of the cheaper ones you see at discount stores don't have that feature.
Stormy Kromer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM   #23

I used to be very involved in Sea Kayaking and have owned quite a few boats... my boat now is a Stand Up Paddleboard. I like the seaworthiness of a sea kayak but living on the gulf coast of FL, I don't really need it. You may want to try SUP as well before choosing a vessel. Things I like about SUP is it is cooler in hot weather, better angle to view sealife underwater (see so much more from the higher vantage point), can sit/kneel/and stand (and even lay down and take a nap!)... long trips in the kayak are hard on my butt! The SUP is also easier to transport being lighter and smaller.

That said, kayaks are better for hauling gear, seaworthiness (depending on the boat and skill of the paddler), and are more efficient if you want to cover longer distances.

No wrong way to get out on the water!!!
FLSUnFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

The main problem I had with an SUP was it is VERY difficult to paddle against a strong headwind. Fortunately, I was in a lake and was able to let the wind win & walked home. If it had been out in open water I'd have been in big trouble.
GreenEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:24 PM   #25
gone traveling

I have way too much advise to give on kayaking. I would advise you to visit the charlotte whitewater center. hang out. watch people. talk to people. whitewater boaters are a friendly bunch and as a rule know a huge amount about boating, safety, and rescue. Also, join the CarolinaCanoe Club. They have members all over the state and have club paddles weekly. you will find that most white water kayakers also paddle sea kayaks and canoes. I personally go for comfort and speed...speed equating to faster with less effort. that means a long water line boat and a carbon fiber bent shaft paddle. don't expect to learn much about kayaking in a rental sit on top. they are slow and hard to paddle with the heavy aluminum ones the outfitters use.
I've been paddling whitewater primarily since the early 80's, but i've also owned and paddle sea kayaks too. I owned one sit on top for guest would they would rather flip and swim a ww boat than paddle a sit on top. I currently have a 17' and 13.5 for the wife, both skirted/sit ins and I have the latest and greatest ww boat, that i've paddled 3 times. I appear to have moved on , sadly. oh, I am also a certified raft guide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 (2).jpg (39.0 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg 255 (2).jpg (606.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 37 (9).jpg (623.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 10 (25).jpg (1.03 MB, 24 views)
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 12:42 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I would not recommend a two person kayak. They take a fair amount of coordination between the paddlers to avoid paddle interference and thus are called "divorce boats". It is also more interesting, IMHO, to each have their own boat.
I agree! The pictures below are the before and after our only kayaking trip together
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annotation 2020-01-20 114016.jpg (183.9 KB, 33 views)
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:30 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer2 View Post
I've been paddling whitewater primarily since the early 80's,........
Did you perchance ever run Little River Canyon? (AL)
Old 01-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would not recommend a two person kayak. They take a fair amount of coordination between the paddlers to avoid paddle interference and thus are called "divorce boats". It is also more interesting, IMHO, to each have their own boat.
DH and I have always owned 2 person tandem kayaks and that has worked great for us but I know some couples who could never use a tandem. We are both about the same size and strength and are good paddlers. One advantage for us is that 2 people can row much faster and into the wind or current much better than just one person. We are therefore able to go longer distances and into wind/current much better than a single kayak could. DH and I have been able to tandem kayak to many places that we could not have reached if we had single kayaks.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 03:22 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
DH and I have always owned 2 person tandem kayaks and that has worked great for us but I know some couples who could never use a tandem. We are both about the same size and strength and are good paddlers. One advantage for us is that 2 people can row much faster and into the wind or current much better than just one person. We are therefore able to go longer distances and into wind/current much better than a single kayak could. DH and I have been able to tandem kayak to many places that we could not have reached if we had single kayaks.
I know it works for some people, but the OP is a total newbie to kayaking and I think a tandem would be a sorry introduction to the sport. Their mileage may vary.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:21 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

I live on the Saratoga Passage (Puget Sound) and have a Necky Chatham 16 sea kayak. It’s a great boat that I have used for leisure paddles and multi-day paddle/camping trips in the San Juan Islands. I have a rack for my Subaru for commuting to other areas and a set of wheels that allow me to walk it down the road to the waterfront. I can still load and lift, but could see myself downsizing to a smaller/lighter kayak in the near future (I’m a 62 YO smaller female). I agree with others that you should rent several types before buying and to know what type of paddles you want to do. I also agree with the suggestion of looking at Werner carbon paddles.
A wonderful way to get out on the water!!!
Old 01-20-2020, 08:07 PM   #31
Dryer sheet aficionado

We live on a lake and have a total of four yaks...3 sit in and one sit on top. 3 are 10ft, one is 12. Unless you have specific things in mind, I'd recommend starting out with a "recreational" sit inside that will be OK for a lot of stuff but not perfect. Then if you want a more specialized boat, add to the livery. The longer waterline of the 12 footer (an older model Wilderness System Pungo) makes it faster, so that is generally DGFs boat, it matches our abilities a bit.

Renting, as mentioned by others, is a great idea. Some dealers also have demo days where you can go to a lake and paddle a couple different models which really lets you see the differences. Try some different boats, I've rented 16ft sea kayaks and can see how they'd be awesome for certain applications.

For transport, I can fit one ten foot boat very easily in my mini van with all the seats down. I put two in there once and won't be repeating that (driving down the freeway not being able to see anything but roto molded plastic on your right side..). I used to put a 12 foot boat in the van when that was the only one I had. As it turns out, if you get enthusiastic loading a boat like that from the back of the van, you could (theoretically of course) shove it through your windshield...

We can carry two yaks on racks on the van. I'm 6ft4, so it's easy to put them up there and take them down to launch, but a bit more challenging when tired after several hours paddling--especially if it's windy. It's also easy to shove them in the bed of the pickup and tie them in. It's less lifting and we don't have to put the racks on the van so usually gets the nod for a quick trip.

We recently strapped them to the deck of a small powerboat that we towed for an 1100 mile trip. That worked great and was much less drag than having them sideways on the roof of the van.

I've had at least one yak for the last nineteen years and really enjoy them, we use the yaks much more than our canoe.

Oh, and keep an eye out for end of season sales if you don't need one right away. My last two were around half price.
Scusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakGrl View Post
Last year I did a UnCruise small ship trip to Alaska and did Kayaking in Glacier Bay and Inside Passage. It was wonderful! I was able to sit and observe a large brown bear that was salmon fishing! Lots of otters!
We did the inside passage with UnCruise in 2013. At the time Ms G wanted to go to Alaska, I wanted to wait until I was older and do a giant boat cruise. Well being active travelers think REI, she found UCA and I said OK, happy wife happy life. Loved it and have done all their trips but the new Belize and the Pacific Northwest. All there trips are terrific.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Sunset Beach NC on intracoastal up to Little River inlet. Sit on the beach and kayak back to condo. You have to be mindful of tides because current can really give you a workout. Scenery is awesome.
thepalmersinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:55 PM   #34

Just an FYI for those having trouble getting the boats up on the roof rack. LLBean sells a roof rack system that pivots down so you can load the kayak at about chest level, then pivot it up to the roof. It is expensive compared to regular roof racks, but Lea expensive than buying a different vehicle.
Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 03:08 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
Just an FYI for those having trouble getting the boats up on the roof rack. LLBean sells a roof rack system that pivots down so you can load the kayak at about chest level, then pivot it up to the roof. It is expensive compared to regular roof racks, but Lea expensive than buying a different vehicle.
Good tip. Also very probably less expensive than hurting yourself.....
Old 01-26-2020, 03:41 PM   #36
Dryer sheet wannabe

We absolutely LOVE kayaking, and retired to an area with many lakes and local flatwater kayaking and conservation groups, specifically to allow us to do it whenever desired. We do so called "flatwater" kayaking in lakes & rivers, use 12' touring kayaks (Wilderness Systems 120 Touring Kayaks), transport them with the very common Thule cartop carriers. Tried and sold a few sit-on's and stand-ups, and an inflatable, keep coming back to the touring style. Considering picking up some of the fatter and shorter 10' recreational style, as they are easier to get in/out of, and speed on the water doesn't really matter that much when you have all the time in the world...
Graysand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 07:39 PM   #37

Quote:
I know it works for some people, but the OP is a total newbie to kayaking and I think a tandem would be a sorry introduction to the sport. Their mileage may vary.
If you get a tandem make sure it has a rudder. Doubles without rudders are called divorce boats. Long time kayaker (name 'yakers' is as DW & I are kayakers). Currently have a Folbot double and single folding boat, a Klepper Aerius double, DW likes her peddling inflatable Hobie and I have a Pygmy Osprey I made form a kit 18 years ago. Owned many others. Mostly I like birding, on white water I prefer rafting, had a small one used on the American River near Placerville. Paddled all over the place; California, British Columbia, Alaska, tahiti, Rarotonga & atiutaki, Fiji, Viet Nam and Peru.
Some basic decisions: kind of water, singles or double, how heavy, how to transport, how expensive.
Nothing wrong with renting and buying used. Once you know what you want you can buy new or used effectively. A good paddle is important and gloves are a good idea. Also, although I can't consistantly roll a kayak I do practice recovering with whatever I paddle.
Don't paddle alone, wear life vests, have a safety plan and practice recoveries. Any more questions just post or PM.
Old 02-05-2020, 04:41 AM   #38
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks to all for your replies... and the pics. Looks like fun. I will definitely take a class....did not think of the alligators when the serene scene played out in my head!
brainsagolfer is offline   Reply With Quote