Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-06-2020, 02:15 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
It's appealing, but I can remember BIL's RC plane flying about 25 yds and nose diving into the ground in pieces. I'm not sure if the control systems today could prevent that happening from a beginner.
Yup, they sure can, this is just one of them, 18 seconds into the video. Now, that's a marketing video, there is no way a raw beginner is going to be able to fly it like that in such tight quarters. But given enough room, like a football field, it can pretty much land itself. It has three levels of control. The first limits you to 30 degrees of pitch and/or roll, the second moves the restrictions to 60 degrees, and the third removes all pitch/roll restrictions.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 05:31 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Yup, they sure can, this is just one of them, 18 seconds into the video. Now, that's a marketing video, there is no way a raw beginner is going to be able to fly it like that in such tight quarters. But given enough room, like a football field, it can pretty much land itself. It has three levels of control. The first limits you to 30 degrees of pitch and/or roll, the second moves the restrictions to 60 degrees, and the third removes all pitch/roll restrictions.

That's pretty interesting Walt, seems the technology has come a long way. I am going share the video with my BIL.
Old 08-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

The reason I said N-gauge is that I do not want to devote much space to it; maybe 3'x6', and you can just get so much more into a smaller space. I'll have to check the local clubs and take a look at both N and HO.

DH is building a small HO layout in our spare bedroom. The room is 10’ wide. His layout is about 5.5’ x 18”. It hangs on the wall using elfa shelf mounting hardware. With this set up he still has a work/storage surface below and the layout is at a comfortable height for running trains.

IMG_3474.JPG
ocean view is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 05:52 AM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

A RC modeler here
I fly turbine jets... It's crazy how technology has developed so much in the last 10 years. Not sure this meets a "frugal" lifestyle though
See one here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4872.jpg (609.6 KB, 16 views)
perez99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 08:00 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I have some electric helis and planes as well as do ship model building.

I find I spend more time on the ship model building as it's not dependent on weather, available space, flying restrictions.

There are a few online ship building log sites, sites where newbie builders can get advice and guidance. Sometimes the ship you are building may have multiple build logs which you can use as a guide.

shipsofscale . com and modelshipworld . com are 2 great sites.

The first time can have some challenges, maybe start with a "block hull" instead of "plank on hull". With each model your confidence will improve and after it's done you have a beautiful piece of art to display.

I started with a "block" hull for the first build and now onto my first plank on hull build, Enterprise Maryland 1799 1:51 scale.

hope that helps....
workmyfingerstothebone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 10:48 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean view View Post
DH is building a small HO layout in our spare bedroom. The room is 10’ wide. His layout is about 5.5’ x 18”. It hangs on the wall using elfa shelf mounting hardware. With this set up he still has a work/storage surface below and the layout is at a comfortable height for running trains.

Attachment 35873
Building as a shelf is a good way to conserve space. It looks like a diorama of a working train yard. Very nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perez99 View Post
A RC modeler here
I fly turbine jets... It's crazy how technology has developed so much in the last 10 years. Not sure this meets a "frugal" lifestyle though
See one here.
That jet is huge, definitely only for the advanced RC flyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workmyfingerstothebone View Post
I have some electric helis and planes as well as do ship model building.

I find I spend more time on the ship model building as it's not dependent on weather, available space, flying restrictions.

There are a few online ship building log sites, sites where newbie builders can get advice and guidance. Sometimes the ship you are building may have multiple build logs which you can use as a guide.

shipsofscale . com and modelshipworld . com are 2 great sites.

The first time can have some challenges, maybe start with a "block hull" instead of "plank on hull". With each model your confidence will improve and after it's done you have a beautiful piece of art to display.

I started with a "block" hull for the first build and now onto my first plank on hull build, Enterprise Maryland 1799 1:51 scale.

hope that helps....
You have a done a great job on that ship looking at your log. I had already looked at those sites you mentioned and was considering the Lady Nelson as a first kit, but I still pause over the planking and all the different tools that might be needed, especially if you have to fabricate some pieces like you did.
Old 08-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
It's appealing, but I can remember BIL's RC plane flying about 25 yds and nose diving into the ground in pieces. I'm not sure if the control systems today could prevent that happening from a beginner. I only flew wire planes as a kid; had a voodoo with a McCoy .35.

This is one area that quadcopters excel. The racing/freestyle type are amazingly durable. I've cartwheeled 30 feet, dropped 80 ft from the sky, etc with just bent props.

The "drone" type such as DJI do not deal with crashes well, but they basically fly themselves. Pretty boring unless you are in a scenic area and enjoy photography/video.
Aggie1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:41 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I’ve been active in HO model railroading since about 1967. I started with a fairly simple 4’x8’ layout, and kept enlarging it little by little until it was about 6’x12. I needed more space, so I added an addition onto my garage in 1985, and built a new 12’x20’ “around the walls” layout in it. Over the past 35 years, I’ve modified and tweaked it occasionally, but it’s still nearly the same track plan.

In the late ‘80s, I built a small, portable N scale layout in my bedroom, to tinker with when I didn’t feel like going out to the garage addition. It was okay, but I was to comfortable with HO, so I gave the N layout to a friend. The N layout was perfect for the space I had in the house though.

If you have a hobby shop near you that specializes in trains, you can hang out there and ask questions and learn things. I still do that after all of these years.
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote