any way to get out of retirement party?

palomalou

Recycles dryer sheets
Is there any smooth way to decline a retirement party? I really just want to get the h*ll out. :(

not really. I've worked with several people with similar feelings, and in some cases, they were the subject of ambush parties. you might just have to go along with it. except when they want a speech.

I really wanted to also, but I gave in a agreed to attend. It turned out to be more emotional than I expected and I was glad I did. My situation may be different I was with the company for 33 years. I have been retired for two weeks now and I am having a blast.

Fake a communicable disease?

Also, consider that a party for you might be the one bright moment for your coworkers in an otherwise miserable existence, the very existence from which you are now departing. You could participate out of pity (or gloating)

My party consisted of a supervisor walking me to the door and taking my badge...

No speech required though...

You will probably may have to put up with it. If they have their minds set on this path, it's like trying to stop a bulldozer. Perhaps you can convince them to only include your department and not the whole building. That is what I did and it was not too too bad. Just try to have a speech or something ready because they will insist on it. I know people mean well but it would be nice to just leave in peace if you wish it.

My company had a practice of giving retirement parties. Like funerals, they are really for the ones left.

I don't enjoy being the center of attention and giving emotional speeches and asked my boss if I could bow out. He respected my wishes. I said that it would make it uncomfortable for me were I to then come back in the future and do some contract work, which we had discussed.

Good luck!

I didn't want one but it was really for my friends who wanted to give me a very nice send-off. Short and sweet.

I was indifferent but my boss and his assistant (who was also my assistant) organized one. DW and I went and had a great time. It was a great way to make the break.

I didn't have anything formal, but instead had a series of lunches with closest friends. Department conducted a brief (5 min) goodbye ceremony and that was that. I really appreciated being able to keep things low key.

Just be honest and let folks know that you'd rather not have a big bash.

Last edited:
I had an employee retiring after several decades with the company. He was a key technical person with a high standing within the company. His tenure and rank (by company policy) made him eligible for a retirement dinner. He invited his selected attendees. He was stuck with me and my boss with our respective wives. On the "big night" we were all there but no retiree or his wife. We called and called his home (pre-cell phones). Eventually, we gave up and ate. I was spared giving my speech. We found out the next day that on the day of his dinner a moving van showed up at his house. He and his wife left town that afternoon. He contacted HR and changed the address for his pension. We mailed him his retirement gift.

My solution to retirement party was announcing that I'll not be present for the party.

When the party idea was initially presented, my point was that I arrived as a nobody, just another cog of the many in the big wheel. That big wheel keeps on turning just fine without my presence.

Instead, I suggested that they have a good riddance celebration. Heck it opened up a promotional slot. It worked. I think, since I was not present, nor have I ever gone back or contacted anyone at the w*rk place.

I read in the papers that the trains were as usual mostly on time, no more than the usual number of breakdowns. The passengers never give even a passing thought to the maintanece crew, of any of the three shift's humans, running 24/7/365.

As I wrote in post #12 in that thread, I declined to have a retiremetn luncheon. There was a brief gathering at my desk in the afternoon where some coworkers gave me a few parting gifts including some cash ($160) they would have spent on my luncheon, a far better parting gift than any luncheon could have been. :)

Nobody walked me out, either, as I had to remember to turn in my ID card at the building's security desk after I passed through the exit turnstiles (needed the ID card to exit). That was a touching moment, the first of several as I made my last commute on the trains back home.

I'm not a person who cares about big parties and celebrating everything. I skipped my own high school graduation. What was to celebrate? Just about anyone who tries can graduate HS. But for me retirement is different. It's a major life accomplishment to retire an any reasonable age, let alone retire early. Years and years of saving, investing, and planning. Years and years of putting up with nonsense meetings, supervisors who should've never gotten promoted, ect. I'm going to celebrate this one with a party.

Party

Think of it as your last significant responsibility, something you need to do for all of the others. :hide:

My party consisted of a supervisor walking me to the door and taking my badge...

No speech required though...

My supervisor was too busy. An HR person and a security guard got the job done though...........

I think you should just go. And make sure your boss hears you talking to others saying things like, "All you have to do is these three simple things and you can be out in a couple years too."

I'm not the kind of person that gets into these sorts of things. I ended up having fun.

I just told them not to have a party. It would have been just a party so my bosses could save face. My immediate supervisor went ahead and arranged a potluck anyway, but I emailed him I wouldn't be attending. Instead, I was doing some last minute training at the scheduled time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom