Join Early Retirement Today

anybody just want to stay home?
Old 01-18-2011, 06:14 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

anybody just want to stay home?

When DH left work after 30 years of rotating shifts, weekends, holidays etc. as he was walking out the door someone said "so where are you going?"

He replied "home." Like in to read the paper, go to the YMCA, tend the gardens etc. They meant like move to SC or Florida (we live in the snow belt).

In this past year, neither of us have felt like travelling anywhere or moving anywhere, we are very happy with our lives. We did travel all over the US and several places abroad during our work years, but the thought of getting on a plane just doesn't interest us. Even in this awful weather I am so happy not to have to get up to shovel and fight the traffic to the city it makes my day. Someone even told us we were depressed. Of course I think we are happier than we ever have been. We do visit the kids and enjoy that, both are less than a days drive away, which is fun but I wouldn't move to be closer to them, they have their own lives and could relocate at any time.

So, with all the talk about travel, motorhomes, moving to warmer climates how many people just stayed put? This is where our life is.
52andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2011, 06:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have traveled very little over the years so I'm in the opposite camp. I plan to do more in the future. But, saying put is not all bad either. As long as I can play golf regularly. Got to play yesterday and looks like the weather might cooperate again today.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

me and the wife have traveled some in the u.s. during our marriage and have been around this country. I have no wish to travel extensively with an rv or anything else. I like where I live and family is here. why leave. when you go rving to my estimation, after a while it just becomes another job. moving from place to place with no one place being that much more spectacular than where I live and I live in the midwest. I have to shovel snow and cut grass, but other than that, i'm living the dream.
frank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Homebody here....

I prefer home to anywhere else that I've ever been....here in Virginia we normally get to experience all 4 seasons so weather is not a problem....with the exception of an annual trip to the Outer Banks, I don't think that I've ventured more than 3 hours from here since I slowed down....and come to think of it, Kitty Hawk is less than 3 hours away too!
VaCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

We did move to Fla to get away from the cold and snow. Yet we are very happy to do nothing and stay in our home.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52andout View Post
So, with all the talk about travel, motorhomes, moving to warmer climates how many people just stayed put? This is where our life is.
We seem to have trouble traveling for no reason. Spouse likes to travel for a non-profit meeting or with a friend, and we enjoyed visiting our daughter at her college. We don't really seem to be much for "pick up and go".

Maybe that'll change when our daughter finishes college (and visits cool liberty ports) and our pet bunny goes to his great reward.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When DH left work after 30 years of rotating shifts, weekends, holidays etc. as he was walking out the door someone said "so where are you going?"

He replied "home." Like in to read the paper, go to the YMCA, tend the gardens etc. They meant like move to SC or Florida (we live in the snow belt).

In this past year, neither of us have felt like travelling anywhere or moving anywhere, we are very happy with our lives. We did travel all over the US and several places abroad during our work years, but the thought of getting on a plane just doesn't interest us. Even in this awful weather I am so happy not to have to get up to shovel and fight the traffic to the city it makes my day. Someone even told us we were depressed. Of course I think we are happier than we ever have been. We do visit the kids and enjoy that, both are less than a days drive away, which is fun but I wouldn't move to be closer to them, they have their own lives and could relocate at any time.

I stayed put, and like it best. It did move into the central city from an outlying area because my kids were grown and my wife had flown. Even if she were still around, if we could have managed the cooperation we would have moved into the city.

A retired doctor friend (GP) told me he thought for most people it was best to retire not only in your same city, but the same neighborhood. He retired in his same house, as did my parents as well, in big cities. Some people like towns and the countryside, but I would have to leave often if that were my situation because I would get bored and lonesome.

It happens that my kids live within a max of 4 miles from me and from one another, which is also a strong plus.

Travel is a separate issue, and for some involves RVs. For me it definitely would not, as driving an expensive, hulking bus around to places that necessarily must be determined at least in part by facilities for the bus does not appeal!

Ha
Old 01-18-2011, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
..snip... Someone even told us we were depressed......
Well of course you are! You're supposed to be going off on ocean cruises left and right, stuffing yourselves with food and getting the Norwalk virus and puking your guts out! That's the REAL life! None of this sitting around the house!

I travelled some in business, including some international. As a family, we made it a point to travel at spring break and at the start of summer vacation once the kids were of age that they could appreciate the sights. Mostly driving trips, but some via air to visit relatives.

But my idea of retirement is to putter, and to sleep at night in my own bed with my DW. Priceless!
Old 01-18-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
gone traveling

My DW/me have traveled much, both foreign and CONUS for the last fifteen years or so (I just know it will soon be time to renew our passports for the second time).

While I did much more travel (primarily international) during my wor*ing years, we did take many international vacations over the years since I was comfortable with foreign travel. I know that a lot of folks (especially older) don't desire to get out of the U.S., however since my various jobs over the years required me to do so, I became familiar with various modes of travel overseas (e.g. air/train/ferry/etc.) and didn't have a problem with non-English speaking places, generally (but I do have some good "stories" in that area).

Being retired (4 years May 1st), I've come to desire travel less and less (international or CONUS). At the same time, DW has gone in the other direction, pursuing more travel than I over the last few years.

Luckily, she met a woman slightly younger than her (single) that also had the passion for travel. They met during our month "down under" two years ago and since that time they have traveled together quite often. While DW/me went for a few days in London, followed by a two-week Baltic cruise last June, DW and her "travel buddy" went on tour to the Canyonlands/Vegas later on in the year, followed by a two-week Nile cruise (land/boat combo) this past September (yes, three trips for DW last year alone).

This has turned out quite well, for both her and me. She has somebody who shares her passion for travel, and I get to stay home with the pups and putter around the house (something I missed when I wor*ed and traveled often). It has worked out well for both of us.

Not to say that we won't travel as a "couple", but if we don't that's not a problem for me, and apparently not for my wife ("they" have already scheduled two trips for this year (spring down south to see the "gardens" and Switzerland in the late spring). I've already been (with my wife) to Switzerland, so I don't feel that I will be missing anything. However if any place of interest does come up, we will still continue to travel together.

As far as travel expenses, it has always been our largest budget line item, both in our accumulation and now in retirement. Since we did not delay travel until retirement (as a lot of folks do), it was not a financial impact to us at all, since our retirement income target was 100% of pre-retirement net income.

Both of us were raised in lower middle-income families, where travel was not done at all (seriously). Vacations were staying home from work/school, not travel at all. For my wife, the idea that one day she would be getting on an airplane and flying to anywhere in the world she desired is a dream come true for her. As for me (traveling for wo*k), the idea of staying in a hotel room (regardless of surroundings) turns me off.

So each of us get to follow their own desires in travel. I guess we are lucky.
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
gone traveling

Looking forward to traveling less and staying closer to home when I finally ER. In 25-years w*rking my current j*b, I've filled (3) 50-page passports, averaged over 100K miles/year in the air, and slept in ~3000 hotel rooms. Sleepingin my own bed is starting to look better all the time (even if it happens to be in an RV )

Off to the airport.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Like others here, we had to travel for work and have already traveled enough for three lifetimes. Most travel holds very little appeal or glamor for us, and it certainly is no novelty in our lives.

We do plan to move away from New Orleans at some point, as about a quarter to a third of New Orleans residents have already done in recent years for obvious reasons. However we plan for this to be our last move. We have no problem keeping ourselves busy, entertained, stimulated, and happy, at home.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

In my family, most retired people seem satisfied with just staying home. They might take a two-week vacation in a warm, sunny location in the spring to chase the winter blues away and go on a few week-end excursions throughout the year, but that's it. After a few days on the road, they are usually ready to head back home. I tend to be that way too. DW travels by air quite a bit for her work, so I don't think she'll want to spend much time in airports once she retires. But she likes to travel more than I do and we plan on buying a RV in a couple of years and taking several short RV trips a year to explore the US and Canada. After that, we dream of exploring Europe by RV from our home base there.

My aunt and uncle travel constantly though. They've always enjoyed traveling, though they don't really venture far from home and rarely go abroad. But they spent way too much of their nest egg on travel during the first few years of their retirement and they had to go back to work so that they could continue indulging in their passion. They worry that, one day, they won't have the means to travel anymore and will have to stay home.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I've mentioned this before, but I think the most important part of my post ER growth has been to turn off the volume on other people's expectations of me.

Perhaps some people that like to stay at home are depressed, but I suspect that many people who are constantly on the go are just fighting some other demon.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #14

After 35 plus years of work and raising children ...working (slaving) from 5:00a.m. until after midnight, I'm happy to report that I love being a homebody! Two to three trips within the good old U.S.A a year does it for me. Accumulating more stuff...does not appeal to me either. Meaning, while I can afford a 2nd home, I choose not to have one (pursued being bought out of a shared ocean front beach cottage about 4 years ago). Worrying about renters, maintenance, hurricanes, etc.....was not my idea of fun and relaxation. I realize it is for some. Just not for me. Neither of us are "maintenance people" except for our home and my husbands office building. I've often considered a condo...in Virginia Beach...to put us closer to nicer resturants and things to do on the week-ends.... but am afraid the novelty would wear off in about 2 years. We are only about an hour away as it is. This has happened to some friends of ours who now wish they had not bought that overpriced condo with those hefty condo fees.
Simpler and being happy with what we have seems to work for my peace and serenity.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since I still go to wo*k pretty much daily, I really enjoy a chance to stay home. A couple of long distance trips a year with DW are fine, though she would like to travel more. Last year was really different as I telecommuted from a warmer climate for 4 months and we took a 2 week international vacation and several shorter in country ones. I tend to burn all PTO as soon as I accumulate it and the company I work for knows I don't care if I have to be on LWOP from time to time.

Not sure what will happen after I retire - DW has already done so. Kids are long grown and gone, dog is dead, so we can pretty much do as we please. I do think we will be happier staying where we live now than moving to a retirement part of the country.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
We did move to Fla to get away from the cold and snow. Yet we are very happy to do nothing and stay in our home.
Didn't work out too well this year, has it?

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 09:56 AM   #17

For me, having active social connections - neighbors, friends, family - is more important than travel. However, we do like to travel & plan to do more of it.

We have friends who dropped out of corporate life - sort of Semi-ER. We visit each other about once a year for what we jokingly refer to as an audit. Just to make sure we're not morphing into couch potatoes or becoming anti-social or dropping our hygiene standards.
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

We usually take two large trips a year and then I take an additional one or two trips to visit my daughter and grandson. We like to explore so we thoroughly enjoy the trips but we also enjoy returning home . I did move in retirement at the request of my husband who then passed away a year and a half after the move . Luckily I was still working so I formed a lot of friendships but it was no fun(actually I ended up having fun but it took awhile to get to that point ) to be in a new area all alone and having to begin again at 51.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:23 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Didn't work out too well this year, has it?
Not as I had planned but warmer than up north in the tundra.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 10:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Travel? Love it!

My perspective is a lot different due to the local weather and the cultural void in East Nowhere. I already have some 1 day and multi-weekday trips planned once the weather warms up, sometime in July.
All I have to do is board the dogs and off we go.

I am happy to do local trips as well as medium and long distance trips. The destination choice is more of a budget consideration than anything else.

I've been on cruises, to Europe 3x, and traveled all over the US while w*rking. There are several domestic locations I want to return to where I can actually spend some time getting there and enjoying it versus the quick plug-in/plug-out on w*rk travel.

Mr B has not traveled much in his previous life, so I am the official destination picker and navigator. He's not crazy about flying, so we will switch over to driving instead. No biggie.