Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-10-2020, 03:35 PM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Most docs in Mexico are educated in the UK, USA or Europe.
Do you have a source for this?
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Anyone Considering Mexico as a Retirement Spot Now Public Healthcare is Available?
Old 01-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone Considering Mexico as a Retirement Spot Now Public Healthcare is Available?

No thanks. We each have our own preferences, and that is fine; but as for me, well, it would take a whole lot more than free health care to get me to move anywhere outside the US.

I am an American, and this is my home.
Old 01-10-2020, 03:53 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We considered moving to Mexico after a very expensive medical year here, before the ACA came along. But now we watch the ACA cliff pretty close to keep subsidies so our premiums are $2 a month. Before too long we'll be on Medicare, retirement in the Bay Area has been fun and our adult kids live not too far away, so it looks like baring some other major event we'll be staying.

Plus with the political climate in California it is hard to imagine the state ever going back to the pre-ACA days when people could be excluded from affordable individual policies for minor issues like medically treatable high blood pressure. Right now our governor is incrementally moving the state towards single payer.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Do you have a source for this?
Only that I have read it a variety of times when researching the quality of healthcare in Mexico. No particular source, other than I have noticed it mentioned quite a bit.

This is just one I looked at recently.

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/hea...stem-in-mexico

"While healthcare and insurance in Mexico can seem tough to grasp, in reality the country’s private and public health programs are highly accessible for citizens and residents alike. More importantly, the quality of healthcare is high, and likelihood of finding a doctor who can treat you in your native language is greatly increased thanks to the significant number of Mexican doctors who go to medical school in the US and Europe."
Old 01-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #25
Administrator

Perhaps Mexican doctors are trained in Canada or Europe. Medical school in the US is quite expensive, and itís not intuitive they would spend so much for their education but charge so little for their service. Itís a financial cognitive dissonance IMO.

Mexico has some very good medical schools. University of Guadalajara School of Medicine has an English program for US students and Iíve seen that diploma on the office walls of two physicians.

All of this is anecdotal, however, and Iíve seen no hard data in this thread or elsewhere that compares healthcare US vs Mexico.

One possibility is Mexican physicians come to the US for training conferences or skill updating. A good friend who is a physician and lives in Latin America says continuous training is less available and he comes to the US every 2 years or so for ongoing education.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 06:41 PM   #26

Heading down later this month for seven or eight weeks if independent travel. No concerns whatsoever.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #27

No, I wouldn't move to Mexico just for healthcare. I wouldn't move to another country just for healthcare, although it is certainly a factor. Moving to another country is a huge decision with a lot of moving parts, so there would have to be a lot more reasons for moving than just healthcare, important as it is.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:00 AM   #28

I traveled extensively throughout Mexico during my w*rking days. During 2010-11, I seemed to wake up every morning and hear about a violent cartel event very close to me (Monterrey area). It was unnerving. The extent of the torture was unbelievably gruesome (ie, stitching someone's face to a soccer ball and tossing out onto a neighborhood field during a game). However, it was all cartel on cartel war (but often against police, media, etc) for control of the Monterrey turf. I relished the culture, hospitality, and work ethic of the people of Latin America.

When we were planning for retirement, the Lake Chappalla area was our "plan B" of several expat locations. Medical care there and in Guadalajara were part of that equation. But as we enter exit turn 2 (Nascar lingo) of our third year of retirement, plan A is working out fine.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:54 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
I traveled extensively throughout Mexico during my w*rking days. During 2010-11, I seemed to wake up every morning and hear about a violent cartel event very close to me (Monterrey area). It was unnerving. The extent of the torture was unbelievably gruesome (ie, stitching someone's face to a soccer ball and tossing out onto a neighborhood field during a game). However, it was all cartel on cartel war (but often against police, media, etc) for control of the Monterrey turf. I relished the culture, hospitality, and work ethic of the people of Latin America.

When we were planning for retirement, the Lake Chappalla area was our "plan B" of several expat locations. Medical care there and in Guadalajara were part of that equation. But as we enter exit turn 2 (Nascar lingo) of our third year of retirement, plan A is working out fine.
Bolded by me.
Lake Chapala was also our Plan B, but also in our 3rd year of retirement and can't imagine leaving the US right now. We would probably go to a lower COL now if necessary, or smaller place in a MCOL.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:52 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
Interesting data about rape.

I wonder if the deaths are mostly related to cartels and so long as one steers clear of that lifestyle/area how do things compare.
Really hard to steer clear of the cartels in some states like those directly across the border from us. They control too much.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

The OP link is to a website by a former Florida police office and his wife. They are retired and residents in Mexico. Their site offers good, general high level information in topics, but as this link shows the posts at time generates more questions than answers.

Iīve been researching a move to Mexico for over three years. Plan is to go down this year, see how my budget holds up, see how my Spanish comes along, see how comfortable i am with safety, and then hopefully FIRE next year. The only things I follow on Facebook are groups for ex-pats moving to Mexico or already in Mexico. Some groups are location specific. I also follow Mexican news agencies and the US Embassy in Mexico City and several US consulates in various Mexican cities, too. Some of these feeds are repeated on my Twitter so that I can be up-to-date. I feel like I have a long list of up to date resources to advise on my move and stay current with the situations in Mexico. All this to say is that I don’t listen only to US media, but I also don’t hold myself out as an expert on Mexico by any means.

As far as moving to simply receive the free healthcare...heck no I would never do that! Free is as good as what you pay. We are talking about limited staff to assist so you NEED a family member there to get you the water, find a nurse, etc. Often times the family member sleeps on the floor as there is not a extra chair in the area near your bed. Note that I didn’t say your room but your area...often times, patients are in a large room with lots of other patients.

Free healthcare alone is NOT the reason to go unless you are so broke that you need some means to survive. Some expats from the US participate in the free healthcare because they can’t make ends meet in the US (rent, food, etc.) on their Social Security. So their current lives are better - unless they need to go to the hospital and deal with the free healthcare.

For expats who can afford it, most have private insurance that can be cheaper than premiums in the US and more inclusive than in the US. The private insurance allows access to the private hospitals which rival hospitals in the US. The doctors usually speak English and a large number practiced in the US.

So by moving, I’ll have lower cost of living (rent, foods, transportation, meds) and even my insurance will be cheaper than the COBRA cost or even my current premium working for megaCorp. If My resources evaporate and I’m broke and my choices are free Mexican healthcare or Medicaid, I’ll be on the first bus back to the US.
ATX78701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 08:37 AM   #32

I am sorry if I implied moving to Mexico full or part time should be based on the healthcare being readily available. That was not the intention. It was intended as simply another decision factor to be considered.
Old 01-11-2020, 08:45 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
No thanks. We each have our own preferences, and that is fine; but as for me, well, it would take a whole lot more than free health care to get me to move anywhere outside the US.

I am an American, and this is my home.
+1

We may leave the state, but I have no intention of moving out of the US. As far as Mexico goes, that's not even on my wish list to visit. I would like to see some places in the US and Europe and that's about it. YMMV.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:30 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I would recommend avoiding Mexico for the moment uness you are already experienced with it. It is getting too crowded with expats. Prices are rising too.

Medical care has always been available for residents. This new approach is just another way to get it. You still need to prove you are not sick.
Old 01-11-2020, 10:40 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
I would recommend avoiding Mexico for the moment uness you are already experienced with it. It is getting too crowded with expats. Prices are rising too.
I agree! No vacancy. Stay in Arizona! lol
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote