Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Considering Mexico as a Retirement Spot Now Public Healthcare is Available?
Old 01-10-2020, 08:04 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Anyone Considering Mexico as a Retirement Spot Now Public Healthcare is Available?

I read this, thought it was interesting. Does this change anyone's mind about becoming a legal resident of Mexico?

https://qroo.us/2020/01/02/mexico-a-...eguro-popular/

Basically, the new sponsored Healthcare system "el Instituto Nacional de Salud para el Bienestar" or INSABI for short, will be available to any legal resident of Mexico.

Maybe Keith can comment.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't know if I would trust some of those Mexican doctors . Had a friend who went to Mexico to get an operation . It was less the half of what it would cost in Houston . They ended up flying him home with a bad infection . After taking care of the infection he was fine. Lots of topless dancers in Houston used to go to Mexico to get their breast enhanced for 1000.00 a few years ago . Never heard of any problems.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Lots of topless dancers in Houston used to go to Mexico to get their breast enhanced for 1000.00 a few years ago . Never heard of any problems.
I would have bet good money you were going to say, "Never saw seen* any problems."

* FIFY
Old 01-10-2020, 08:34 AM   #4

Yes thanks , I never seen any problems . I felt like I paid for many of those . One of the girls once told me by increasing the size of their breast their tips increased by at least 100.00 a day . Ahh the old days when Houston was the capital of topless clubs .
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 08:37 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
One of the girls once told me by increasing the size of their breast their tips increased by at least 100.00 a day.
Maybe I should get implants too.... .

PS. It would be nice to read some opinions on the OP.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Mexico is too dangerous. No thanks.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 09:40 AM   #7

This makes little difference. From cheap to free, from simple sign-up procedure to just walking in with a CURP. Reduces bureaucracy, but that's about it.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Been watching too much TV. Compared to what?
Old 01-10-2020, 10:42 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know if I would trust some of those Mexican doctors . Had a friend who went to Mexico to get an operation . It was less the half of what it would cost in Houston . They ended up flying him home with a bad infection . After taking care of the infection he was fine. Lots of topless dancers in Houston used to go to Mexico to get their breast enhanced for 1000.00 a few years ago . Never heard of any problems.
Buddies wife went to a hospital north of KCMO to have a baby and a tubal ligation. She bleed to death in the hospital from the tubal. Incompetence doesn't know boundaries.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

It's too dangerous and the health care isn't as good? Pretty broad statements and in fact you could apply both of them to many areas in the US.

Yes there are a lot of different outcomes for the same procedures many places in the US. My DH has a heart surgery where anything that could wrong, did go wrong.. it was not the fault of the surgeon, in fact he was in a nationally ranked heart surgery center and the doc literally saved his life in the OR.

First you'd need to become a legal resident of Mexico. Then you need to find an area where you feel comfortable safety wise and investigate the medical care in that area. Also compare all the financials, tax financials. moving financials, etc..etc...if anybody here actually does that I'd love to hear what conclusions they come to.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 10:57 AM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post

PS. It would be nice to read some opinions on the OP.
My opinion is there isn’t enough information in the OP to comment. The link describes a couple of changes in access to Mexico’s National gov’t health care system, but doesn’t get into eligibility and has no information on the health care that is available.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:20 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, because American doctors and hospitals don't have issues with infections and other complications.
Old 01-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
Quote:
Maybe you’re not watching enough? It used to be safer, but it appears things have changed in Mexico for now at least? Way fewer guns, but 5 times the murders per capita. Several sources, here’s just one.

https://www.nationmaster.com/country.../Violent-crime
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1B517DF9-20B8-4AEE-86D2-68AAF83979A1.jpeg (566.1 KB, 77 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interesting data about rape.

I wonder if the deaths are mostly related to cartels and so long as one steers clear of that lifestyle/area how do things compare.
pj.mask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Lots of tourists lately have been killed during the holidays. It’s been all over the news.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Danger in Mexico is hard to characterize. Lots of cartel on cartel issues and plenty of bystanders are impacted too.
Wife and I spent “Dia de los Muertos” week 2019 in Mexico City. Rode the subway all over (.75 per ride). Rode buses, walked around at all hours of the night and felt completely safe.
Plus everything is CHEAP! Going back next year.

I grew up on Arizona/Mexico border. Got lots of dental work done in Agua Prieta... never any issues.

I am sure some parts are safer than Chicago and some places are worse. The USA is a big country, so is Mexico. It’s hard to generalize.

I know nothing of the OP’s original topic.
Gallaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:45 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallaher View Post
Danger in Mexico is hard to characterize. Lots of cartel on cartel issues and plenty of bystanders are impacted too.
Wife and I spent “Dia de los Muertos” week 2019 in Mexico City. Rode the subway all over (.75 per ride). Rode buses, walked around at all hours of the night and felt completely safe.

I am sure some parts are safer than the well known easy to recognize bad parts of Chicago and some places are worse. The USA is a big country, so is Mexico. It’s hard to generalize.

I know nothing of the OP’s original topic.
FIFY. Interesting how distorted what we think we know becomes thanks to media sensationalism. Just left Chicago after 26 years and it’s perfectly safe 24/7 in some areas, and there are also much more dangerous areas - like any big city, any country. Chicago is a big city, but per capita it’s well down the list for highest crime in the US.

Evidently St Louis wins the overall violent crime stats and murder. New Orleans for rape. Baltimore for robbery. Detroit for aggravated assault. But there are safe areas in all these cities as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2499FE50-CF68-4F30-9CEC-D6F55F19EB1F.jpg (641.5 KB, 54 views)

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 01:52 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

We find Mexico very safe, providing one stays clear of the border towns and other known hot spots, that one would not want to visit anyway. We do not buy, take or consume any illicit drugs or associated paraphernalia, so no worries here. We find the Mexicans a lot more friendly than other nationalities and always bend over backwards to help for the most part. The food is great, and any medical attention we have experienced has been top notch. Most docs in Mexico are educated in the UK, USA or Europe.

The fact that guns are basically banned, there is only one certified Gun Store, that is in Mexico City, and that generally special permits are needed to own a hand gun, helps with "our" peace of mind.

All our experiences have been good anyway. Worry Warts will always be worry Warts, Life is too short. In the words of Gorge Carlin; "Take a Chance".
Old 01-10-2020, 02:16 PM   #19

Would I retire there? No. Is it safe. Yes if you're not stupid on where you go and how you conduct yourself. Would I live in the interior states that border the U.S.? Absolutely not.

That being said my sister has a home and lives there around six months a year. Has had medical and dental work done. Not an issue. My SIL had a face lift down there and luckily both sides of her face are symmetrical.

We're headed down to a "red zone" next week for three weeks. Hopefully you won't read about me in the paper.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:28 PM   #20

Not at all. I don't speak a lick of Spanish or any other foreign language. No hablo inglés muy bien, too! I would stick out like a sore thumb in Mexico. That said, I've never been there nor felt compelled to.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote