Anyone Considering Mexico as a Retirement Spot Now Public Healthcare is Available?

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I don't know if I would trust some of those Mexican doctors . Had a friend who went to Mexico to get an operation . It was less the half of what it would cost in Houston . They ended up flying him home with a bad infection . After taking care of the infection he was fine. Lots of topless dancers in Houston used to go to Mexico to get their breast enhanced for 1000.00 a few years ago . Never heard of any problems.

Yes thanks , I never seen any problems . I felt like I paid for many of those . One of the girls once told me by increasing the size of their breast their tips increased by at least 100.00 a day . Ahh the old days when Houston was the capital of topless clubs .

Mexico is too dangerous. No thanks.

This makes little difference. From cheap to free, from simple sign-up procedure to just walking in with a CURP. Reduces bureaucracy, but that's about it.

I don't know if I would trust some of those Mexican doctors . Had a friend who went to Mexico to get an operation . It was less the half of what it would cost in Houston . They ended up flying him home with a bad infection . After taking care of the infection he was fine. Lots of topless dancers in Houston used to go to Mexico to get their breast enhanced for 1000.00 a few years ago . Never heard of any problems.
Buddies wife went to a hospital north of KCMO to have a baby and a tubal ligation. She bleed to death in the hospital from the tubal. Incompetence doesn't know boundaries.

It's too dangerous and the health care isn't as good? Pretty broad statements and in fact you could apply both of them to many areas in the US.

Yes there are a lot of different outcomes for the same procedures many places in the US. My DH has a heart surgery where anything that could wrong, did go wrong.. it was not the fault of the surgeon, in fact he was in a nationally ranked heart surgery center and the doc literally saved his life in the OR.

First you'd need to become a legal resident of Mexico. Then you need to find an area where you feel comfortable safety wise and investigate the medical care in that area. Also compare all the financials, tax financials. moving financials, etc..etc...if anybody here actually does that I'd love to hear what conclusions they come to.

PS. It would be nice to read some opinions on the OP.

My opinion is there isn’t enough information in the OP to comment. The link describes a couple of changes in access to Mexico’s National gov’t health care system, but doesn’t get into eligibility and has no information on the health care that is available.

Yes, because American doctors and hospitals don't have issues with infections and other complications. :facepalm:

Attachments

• 1B517DF9-20B8-4AEE-86D2-68AAF83979A1.jpeg
    1B517DF9-20B8-4AEE-86D2-68AAF83979A1.jpeg
    566.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Interesting data about rape.

I wonder if the deaths are mostly related to cartels and so long as one steers clear of that lifestyle/area how do things compare.

Lots of tourists lately have been killed during the holidays. It’s been all over the news.

Been watching too much TV. Compared to what?

Danger in Mexico is hard to characterize. Lots of cartel on cartel issues and plenty of bystanders are impacted too.
Wife and I spent “Dia de los Muertos” week 2019 in Mexico City. Rode the subway all over (.75 per ride). Rode buses, walked around at all hours of the night and felt completely safe.
Plus everything is CHEAP! Going back next year.

I grew up on Arizona/Mexico border. Got lots of dental work done in Agua Prieta... never any issues.

I am sure some parts are safer than Chicago and some places are worse. The USA is a big country, so is Mexico. It’s hard to generalize.

I know nothing of the OP’s original topic.

Danger in Mexico is hard to characterize. Lots of cartel on cartel issues and plenty of bystanders are impacted too.
Wife and I spent “Dia de los Muertos” week 2019 in Mexico City. Rode the subway all over (.75 per ride). Rode buses, walked around at all hours of the night and felt completely safe.

I am sure some parts are safer than the well known easy to recognize bad parts of Chicago and some places are worse. The USA is a big country, so is Mexico. It’s hard to generalize.

I know nothing of the OP’s original topic.
FIFY. Interesting how distorted what we think we know becomes thanks to media sensationalism. Just left Chicago after 26 years and it’s perfectly safe 24/7 in some areas, and there are also much more dangerous areas - like any big city, any country. Chicago is a big city, but per capita it’s well down the list for highest crime in the US.

Evidently St Louis wins the overall violent crime stats and murder. New Orleans for rape. Baltimore for robbery. Detroit for aggravated assault. But there are safe areas in all these cities as well.

Attachments

• 2499FE50-CF68-4F30-9CEC-D6F55F19EB1F.jpg
    2499FE50-CF68-4F30-9CEC-D6F55F19EB1F.jpg
    641.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
We find Mexico very safe, providing one stays clear of the border towns and other known hot spots, that one would not want to visit anyway. We do not buy, take or consume any illicit drugs or associated paraphernalia, so no worries here. We find the Mexicans a lot more friendly than other nationalities and always bend over backwards to help for the most part. The food is great, and any medical attention we have experienced has been top notch. Most docs in Mexico are educated in the UK, USA or Europe.

The fact that guns are basically banned, there is only one certified Gun Store, that is in Mexico City, and that generally special permits are needed to own a hand gun, helps with "our" peace of mind.

All our experiences have been good anyway. Worry Warts will always be worry Warts, Life is too short. In the words of Gorge Carlin; "Take a Chance".

Would I retire there? No. Is it safe. Yes if you're not stupid on where you go and how you conduct yourself. Would I live in the interior states that border the U.S.? Absolutely not.

That being said my sister has a home and lives there around six months a year. Has had medical and dental work done. Not an issue. My SIL had a face lift down there and luckily both sides of her face are symmetrical.

We're headed down to a "red zone" next week for three weeks. Hopefully you won't read about me in the paper.

Not at all. I don't speak a lick of Spanish or any other foreign language. No hablo inglés muy bien, too! :LOL: I would stick out like a sore thumb in Mexico. That said, I've never been there nor felt compelled to.

No thanks. We each have our own preferences, and that is fine; but as for me, well, it would take a whole lot more than free health care to get me to move anywhere outside the US.

I am an American, and this is my home.

We considered moving to Mexico after a very expensive medical year here, before the ACA came along. But now we watch the ACA cliff pretty close to keep subsidies so our premiums are $2 a month. Before too long we'll be on Medicare, retirement in the Bay Area has been fun and our adult kids live not too far away, so it looks like baring some other major event we'll be staying.

Plus with the political climate in California it is hard to imagine the state ever going back to the pre-ACA days when people could be excluded from affordable individual policies for minor issues like medically treatable high blood pressure. Right now our governor is incrementally moving the state towards single payer.

Do you have a source for this?

Only that I have read it a variety of times when researching the quality of healthcare in Mexico. No particular source, other than I have noticed it mentioned quite a bit.

This is just one I looked at recently.

https://transferwise.com/us/blog/healthcare-system-in-mexico

"While healthcare and insurance in Mexico can seem tough to grasp, in reality the country’s private and public health programs are highly accessible for citizens and residents alike. More importantly, the quality of healthcare is high, and likelihood of finding a doctor who can treat you in your native language is greatly increased thanks to the significant number of Mexican doctors who go to medical school in the US and Europe."

Perhaps Mexican doctors are trained in Canada or Europe. Medical school in the US is quite expensive, and it’s not intuitive they would spend so much for their education but charge so little for their service. It’s a financial cognitive dissonance IMO.

Mexico has some very good medical schools. University of Guadalajara School of Medicine has an English program for US students and I’ve seen that diploma on the office walls of two physicians.

All of this is anecdotal, however, and I’ve seen no hard data in this thread or elsewhere that compares healthcare US vs Mexico.

One possibility is Mexican physicians come to the US for training conferences or skill updating. A good friend who is a physician and lives in Latin America says continuous training is less available and he comes to the US every 2 years or so for ongoing education.

Back
Top Bottom