Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-27-2019, 11:04 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
I think about it, but probably never will.
+1

When I was working, I liked the idea of going on vacations to get away from it all.

Now that I am retired, there is nothing to get away from. I love my mundane, boring little life and routines here in my Dream Home, next door to F. I have no use for a second home if I am going to just stay here and enjoy life all the time. And that is really what I'd rather do. He feels the same; we were just going over that this morning to make sure we were on the same page.

Besides, I'm into simplifying my life as I grow older, and making it more complicated just has zero appeal. That includes dealing with a second home that I am not living in for half the year or more.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2019, 02:01 AM   #22
Administrator

It was something we planned to do after retiring, a second home in England to spend summers there within easy reach of Europe. First we needed to do all the extensive travel we wanted on the USA side of the ocean so we spent 6 years traveling for several months a year during the summer. We then set up a house in England in May of 2016 but by the time we cruised back over to the USA we decided that the 2 home situation was not for us and we closed up our place in Texas and moved fully over in 2017.

We still enjoy traveling and are currently on our way to Florida then a Panama Canal cruise to LA where we will stay with our daughter for a couple of weeks. In May it will be the Scilly Isles for a couple of weeks with friends, and in July two weeks in France with relatives.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've thought about it but DW and I are two lazy to maintain two dwellings not to mention the extra cost. We also live in mild climate, relatively short way from everything. I.e, there is no need to find another place to stay for an extended period.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:26 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

When I grew up, my parents had two homes, one in the city (which served as a base during the work week) and one in the mountains (for weekends and vacations). I thought that it was a great setup. In fact, I know many people who have a second home at the beach or in the country and enjoy the two-home lifestyle.

During my adult life, however, I have only owned one home at a time. I often get tempted to get a second home and I sometimes go as far as shopping for one. But I can never pull the trigger. I value simplicity too much.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:35 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
With so many interesting places to see, I don’t want to be tied down to the second home. It’s a personal choice.
+1
I grew up in a vacation home family, and thought I would always do that. Now, I don't want to be tied down by the expense and prefer to travel widely. My sister has the property.
Old 02-28-2019, 04:49 AM   #26

We've had two homes for 18 years. The second is our lakehouse 17 miles from our in town residence. At this point it is partially a vacation/ recreation site for the family and partially an investment. Our main house while impressive is one of our worst investments and the lakehouse one our best. However the situation is changing as our assessed value just went up 51% this year! This would present a problem for anyone buying the property for use as a second home. Summer houses are being torn down left and right with huge three story behemoths wedged into the 50 foot lots. Our neighborhood of weekenders and snowbirds is disappearing. I am quite confident we're in a serious RE bubble ( for Michigan). Maybe it's time to cash in.
We'll hold tight for awhile but it's just one example of the unlimited number of things that can change over time.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:57 AM   #27

I own stuff; my stuff should not own me. Owning a second home crosses the bright red line into being owned by my stuff. Ain't gonna happen.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
He will hold to the one and despise the other
Old 02-28-2019, 07:23 AM   #28

He will hold to the one and despise the other

I used to think the two-house situation would be fabulous. My parents lived that life for a few years before they retired, with one city house and one out in the mountains.

The city house was convenient to w*rk, as well as to the symphonies and operas they enjoyed, so they kept that house until they FIREd.

The mountain house was where they planned to retire eventually, and they went there most weekends. Scenic vistas, vast woodlands full of wildlife, clean air, quiet; it was lovely...

...except that my mom cried every Sunday afternoon when they had to drive back to the city. The mountain house was really where their hearts were. Those weekend refreshers probably hastened M&D's retirement by a year or two because it was so painful to leave the place they loved.

They never cried on Fridays when they locked up the city house. And when they finally sold it and departed the city for good, they were all smiles. It was a lesson not lost on me.
Old 02-28-2019, 07:34 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

We had a second home with acreage in the country 15 years pre retirement. It was allot of work and I wouldn’t want that again. We sold our home in the city, had a new home built in the country on our land and presently live here. But the idea of a second home isn’t too appealing to us.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 08:03 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

On retirement, we moved from Lisle Il, and bought our Park Model on Bass Lake in Woodhaven Lakes in Sublette, Illinois, and then in (55+ park) Lake Griffin Harbor, Leesburg, FL. That was in 1989. In 2004, we bought in to our CCRC home in Liberty Village, Peru, Il... (still snowbirding in Florida 'til 2012).
Sold Florida this year, and still have our camp in Woodhaven 35 minutes away.
So, I guess three houses in retirement.

Compared to most multiple homes, probably relatively inexpensive. Dues, Insurance, Taxes, HOA and basic utilities for Woodhaven $3200/yr, Florida $6500/yr, and now, in our CCRC, $7000/yr.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:27 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

After owning a second beach home for 9 years, we learned our lesson. Having 2 homes to maintain is just a total PIA. Our beach house was only 5 miles from our primary. Couldn't imagine if the distance was 100's or thousands of miles! My recommendation: find your one utopia place, and go all in.

The other disadvantage for a second home like a beach house, it got boring for us going to the same place, but would feel guilty if we traveled, because we had soooo much tied up in the place.
DAYDREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:59 PM   #32

I am going to a pseudo 2 house set up this summer. One will be one of our rental townhouses where we will spend the summers. The other is an overnight rental in a tourist area where we will be spending 4 months during the slow season because we have some family commitments in the area. The rest of the time we will be traveling.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 10:18 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We had a big home 5000 sq.ft on 1 acre with a pool and enclosed jacuzzi. No cottage.

Both our sons now have modest homes in the city and cottages.

We now have a penthouse in the city and a condo in Mexico. We travel extensively in both places. We find that gives us enough of a sense of home. The family comes to visit us and we visit them once a year.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:03 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Absolutely no desire to own a second home.

After owning our various homes for 35 plus years, then renting for four years, and buying yet again led us to the conclusion that, for us, owning even one home is really not that important to us.

We enjoyed the four year rental that had absolutely zero encumbrances on our time, our financials,or our investment decisions.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:55 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We hire property managers and outsource any maintenance needed. There is always a way if you are determined. If you think you can't afford them, then yes renting is for you. As an owner, you are a de facto property manager.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:37 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

Even though we are about 7 years out from partial retirement, could be full, we talk about this quite often. We are both 36 years old and live in suburbs of Detroit Michigan and realy love Michigan. Current plan in 7-10 years is live in northern Michigan from April till just after the New Years and be on the Atlantic coast side of Florida the other three months. We would like a beach front condo during those months.

However, we really enjoy seeing new places too, so we kinda flip flop some on whether we really would want a 2nd residence in Florida or just vrbo or RV down there in the winter months and also be free to go many other places in an RV....

So am def enjoying reading posts from those folks that are already in these situations.
moneymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:20 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymaker View Post
Even though we are about 7 years out from partial retirement, could be full, we talk about this quite often. We are both 36 years old and live in suburbs of Detroit Michigan and realy love Michigan. Current plan in 7-10 years is live in northern Michigan from April till just after the New Years and be on the Atlantic coast side of Florida the other three months. We would like a beach front condo during those months.

However, we really enjoy seeing new places too, so we kinda flip flop some on whether we really would want a 2nd residence in Florida or just vrbo or RV down there in the winter months and also be free to go many other places in an RV....

So am def enjoying reading posts from those folks that are already in these situations.

This was my view this morning in Hillsboro Beach, Florida, about 20 miles of Ft. Lauderdale.
IMG_0687.JPG
We love it here, and the traffic is mild compared to the west coast of Florida.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Our family had a lake "camp" since 1961 when I was 6. My dad bought the land in April 1961 and commenced building that summer. Early on, the interior walls only had drywall on one side, because that is what we could afford... later both sides. We would move to camp right after school ended for the summer and move back home on Labor Day. Camp was about 1/2 hour from where we lived so Dad would commute in the summer while we explored the fields, mountains, streams and the lake. My 88 yo mom still summers there.

We bought a camp 5 doors down the road in 2005 when we were 50. Over the years we replacd the septic system, put in a well (original was a shared spring), put in a foundation (original building was on cedar posts) and ultimately demolished and rebuilt on that same foundation. When we first moved in only had radio... no tv, telephone, internet, etc. .... it was a wonderful weekend getaway place. So wonderful that we decided to live there summers... which brought in tv, phone, internet, etc... still wonderful but less of a getaway.

Then we decided to make it our retirement home and sold our main home.... were down to one home! Retired... but ultimately added a winter condo in 2016 so now back to two homes.... but life is good.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #39

I totally understand the appeal. My father's family had a second lake home while he was growing up. His family pulled him out of school June - Sept, and he loved it. (I remember him looking around for a lake home for a bit when I was growing up, but he and my mother never agreed on one.)

At this point, we need to get our retirement plan down with one home. My kiddos are currently in three states, so I anticipate that we will be doing a lot of visiting. I am also nervous about leaving a home locked, and DH has no interest in a condo; so I don't see two homes as part of the retirement program.

(I have two homes now due to an inheritance, but the plan involves selling the martial home first and my parents' home second. Selling my parents' home is going to hurt.) DH's father has also told him that he will be inheriting a house in Europe, but I anticipate that his brother who lives there will take that one.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I own stuff; my stuff should not own me. Owning a second home crosses the bright red line into being owned by my stuff. Ain't gonna happen.
One of our 2 homes is in Mexico. It has roughly the same FMV of our FL home (even though the MX home has a large pool, separate casita and is 2x the sq. footage, both homes within 1 block of large body of water). Est. FMV of each is 375K USD.

MX homes are cheap to carry....my annual taxes are USD equiv. $221
MX homes are cheap to maintain....we do nothing ourselves which is waaay different than what we do in US where we find FL contractors high priced and <sometimes> shady. Have had a great relationship with our contractor here in MX since 2008 (this is our 2nd MX home). Labor is cheap and with current exchange rate, materials are also cheap.

Solar is cheap, too....we put in an 8 panel system that produces on avg. 50-100 KWH monthly ABOVE our usage resulting in zero electric bills with a healthy credit balance to account for additional expansion/usage/toys. It cost us equv. of USD 4,200 for installation and all equipment.

We have a gardener who comes 5x a week for a few hours each day; he also keeps our pool sparkling. His pay is about USD equiv. of $37 USD per week. If we didn't have him maintain the pool his pay would be about $25 USD per week.

I'm not pushing living in MX (it's not for everyone!!), but it does make owning a 2nd home very affordable and takes the Harry Homeowner work out of the picture.
mexexpat is offline   Reply With Quote