Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2022, 06:53 PM   #541
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One of the best meals I had in my life, perhaps the best, was in the Basque country of Spain. It was in a men's only Txoko, sort of a cooking club. Traditionally, the men earn the money and hand it to their wives to run the household. Men who enjoy cooking started their own Txokos. In order to survive economically, the clubs have opened themselves to tourists, including female tourists. But, while men can volunteer to help in the kitchen, women must not enter the kitchen, not even to wash dishes. So no cooking and no clean-up for the ladies in our group. This did not seem to bother them as they spent that time sipping another glass of a Basque liqueur called Patxaran (a combination of berries, vanilla and anisette).

The clubhouse we ate in is essentially a big kitchen and dining area, with industrial quality food prep equipment. It was easily one of the best meals I have had outside of somebody's personal home. From soup to nuts, everything including the duck and the fish courses were excellent.

That is the kind of meal I would pay for as I could never make it myself, it was different from most foods I eat, and, I really enjoyed it.
Oh yes, Patxaran! Sloe berries. Quite unique taste. I brought home a bottle from San Sebastian, but haven’t opened it.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2022, 08:54 AM   #542
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
One of the best meals I had in my life, perhaps the best, was in the Basque country of Spain. It was in a men's only Txoko, sort of a cooking club. Traditionally, the men earn the money and hand it to their wives to run the household. Men who enjoy cooking started their own Txokos. In order to survive economically, the clubs have opened themselves to tourists, including female tourists. But, while men can volunteer to help in the kitchen, women must not enter the kitchen, not even to wash dishes. So no cooking and no clean-up for the ladies in our group. This did not seem to bother them as they spent that time sipping another glass of a Basque liqueur called Patxaran (a combination of berries, vanilla and anisette).

The clubhouse we ate in is essentially a big kitchen and dining area, with industrial quality food prep equipment. It was easily one of the best meals I have had outside of somebody's personal home. From soup to nuts, everything including the duck and the fish courses were excellent.

That is the kind of meal I would pay for as I could never make it myself, it was different from most foods I eat, and, I really enjoyed it.
In line with this best meal theme: If I could have any meal right now it would be my mom's American Fries. She's of course long gone, so it's only a memory, but a memory I can still taste and would take over any other culinary delight. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:21 AM   #543
Give me a forum ...

I did a fair amount of business travel.

After a week of travel with lunch and dinner meetings with customers and team members it was always a relief to get home.

DW was home all week with the children. She wanted to go out. Me? I wanted peanut butter on crusty bread or some chedder cheese and grapes. Something simple.

Now retired we generally eat in ethnic restaurants and select memu items that we like but cannot cook at home.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:41 AM   #544
Dryer sheet wannabe

Ugh. I'm plenty soured with dining out right now. I'm pretty certain my credit card number was stolen/skimmed at a restaurant. The timing seems right and it was the only restaurant recently that took the card out of sight and it was then brought back to the table. I remember complaining to DH that they were taking forever to bring it back. Not sure there is any way to really avoid this vulnerability other than not eating out period. Or only going to restaurants where you know beforehand that they bring the card reader to your table (hence only restaurants you've been to before). I hate that restaurants are one of the easiest places to get your credit card info stolen. This recent situation makes me more wary of eating out. Just putting it out there to monitor your credit card activity after you go to a restaurant where they read your card out of sight...
subwayhamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:09 AM   #545
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

They do not even need a skimmer. Just a smartphone to take a photo of both sides of the card.
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:14 AM   #546
Give me a forum ...

This is worrisome, why restaurants here in the USA do not adopt at table payments still seems to amaze us. Perhaps we should not eat at places that do not, they may get with the program then if enough folks do it.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:05 AM   #547
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
This is worrisome, why restaurants here in the USA do not adopt at table payments still seems to amaze us. Perhaps we should not eat at places that do not, they may get with the program then if enough folks do it.
I wonder if the at-table payment system isn't just another profit center for restaurants. Every one I've seen lets you play games (for maybe $2) while you wait. How nice! GD is only 3 and she already knows how to start the games. What are we gonna say? "NO! You can't play the games!" Heh, heh, that's what we would have told her parents back when they were our kids, but, hey, GKs are for spoiling. Just wonder what the parents think when we let GD do it. Returning you now...

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #548
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Some have in my experience, but I agree and wish more would. You just scan a QR code and pay...

https://pos.toasttab.com/blog/pros-a...20More%20items

I don't see anything wrong with QR code menus either, though that's not widespread IME either, despite Covid.

It's probably because a lot of diners just don't like change...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:19 AM   #549
Give me a forum ...

I use cash at restaurants.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:24 AM   #550
Give me a forum ...

I cannot remember the last time that I did not pay for a meal via a portable terminal brought to the table by a server. Same for our trip in May/June to Portugal and the pre covid ones prior to that. The only exception would be takeout. Even then we have made payment on the hard wired pin pad terminal at the cash.

Never heard of the games business. In our experience the terminal comes to the table. Depending on the amount due or the establishment we either tap it card or insert the card and key in our four digit pin.

Our practice is never to let our cards out of our site at any vendor location.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #551

Quote:
Originally Posted by subwayhamster View Post
Not sure there is any way to really avoid this vulnerability other than not eating out period. ...
Black out the security code on the back with a Sharpie.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:33 AM   #552
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I wonder if the at-table payment system isn't just another profit center for restaurants. Every one I've seen lets you play games (for maybe $2) while you wait. How nice! GD is only 3 and she already knows how to start the games. What are we gonna say? "NO! You can't play the games!" Heh, heh, that's what we would have told her parents back when they were our kids, but, hey, GKs are for spoiling. Just wonder what the parents think when we let GD do it. Returning you now...
The rest of us aren't talking about those antiquated physical systems. Most now use a QR code on your check to enable you to pay like ToastTab. Or a tablet POS or mobile PIN pad using SkyTab, Square or one of several others. There aren't any games...

Old 08-24-2022, 11:40 AM   #553
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
The rest of us aren't talking about those antiquated physical systems. Most now use a QR code on your check to enable you to pay like ToastTab. Or Square. There aren't any games...
Now you're making me feel bad. Never heard of what everybody else is using. Full disclosure: I probably wouldn't use it anyway....................

Old 08-24-2022, 11:43 AM   #554
Administrator

Quote:
Some have in my experience, but I agree and wish more would. You just scan a QR code and pay...
QR code to pay can be a nice time saving option. I do like it when a server hands over the check and thanks us for dining at that restaurant.

Quote:

I don't see anything wrong with QR code menus either, though that's not widespread IME either, despite Covid.

It's probably because a lot of diners just don't like change...
It could also be that a menu on my phone is inconvenient. The print is small and I can’t look at the whole menu to narrow my focus and choices. Instead, I have to scroll around. It also means DW and I have to use our phones in the restaurant, which is something I think should be discouraged.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 11:52 AM   #555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Now you're making me feel bad. Never heard of what everybody else is using. Full disclosure: I probably wouldn't use it anyway....................

I used the QR code for the first time 2 weeks ago on the bar tab with appetizers at a Fat’s Asian Bistro. I felt inspired to try it out, and whipped out my cell phone to scan the code. The bartender was apparently amused watching DH and I trying this out, and called out to us that if we had any problems with it to let her know and she would come over to help us with it. But it was easy, and I got the same sense of satisfaction that I had when I first used my bank’s app to mobile deposit a check.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:03 PM   #556
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
QR code to pay can be a nice time saving option. I do like it when a server hands over the check and thanks us for dining at that restaurant.

It could also be that a menu on my phone is inconvenient. The print is small and I can’t look at the whole menu to narrow my focus and choices. Instead, I have to scroll around. It also means DW and I have to use our phones in the restaurant, which is something I think should be discouraged.
I'll concede that, but do you know how filthy most physical menus are? Two links below, but there are MANY more if you search. A trade I'm willing to make...
Quote:
The Dirty Truth About Menus
"Menus are among the most unsanitary surfaces in a restaurant. The bacteria count on menus can be as high as 185,000 per square centimeter – far more than found on a toilet seat, according to a study published by Cleaning & Maintenance Management in 2014.

Upwards of 95% of people fail to properly wash their hands after restroom use, according to statistics. That makes handling a restaurant menu before eating a health gamble." (Staff, 2013)
https://www.menuworks.com/blog/62-th...nt%20in%202014.
Quote:
When University of Arizona microbiologist Charles Gerba listed six of the germiest things you can find in a restaurant for Today, all but one of the items he talked about came as a surprise. He named high chairs and booster seats, which makes sense. But he also pointed a finger at the top of pepper containers (bring your own, Gerba says), tabletops, eating utensils (they shouldn't make direct contact with the table)... and the menu.
https://www.mashed.com/209890/heres-...us-really-are/

Who has not seen restaurant tables haphazardly wiped with a dirty rag, or not at all after one diner leaves? How often do you think menus are sanitized in any way?

Old 08-24-2022, 12:05 PM   #557
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'll concede that, but do you know how filthy most physical menus are? One link below, but there are MANY more if you search. A trade I'm willing to make...
https://www.menuworks.com/blog/62-th...nt%20in%202014.
Yeah, once I order, I usually go wash my hands. YMMV

Old 08-24-2022, 12:35 PM   #558

I touch menus, wash my hands, and pay cash. The Horror!
Old 08-24-2022, 12:38 PM   #559
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieIG View Post
I touch menus, wash my hands, and pay cash. The Horror!
None of us gets outta here alive!

Old 08-24-2022, 12:40 PM   #560
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Black out the security code on the back with a Sharpie.
For many purchases the security code is not required.