Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-06-2022, 09:02 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

We go out frequently, approaching pre-pandemic levels. But now we go at off hours or eat outdoors, often both off hours and outdoors. The food quality is quite good though prices have increased. Most of the restaurants are locally owned. Service is sometimes slow but we are in no in a rush, except to get out before the crowd arrives.

Admittedly, this increases our covid risk but probably not as much as living with 2 grandchildren in elementary school.
Kwirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 10:11 PM   #62

We're dining out at a little below pre-pandemic frequency now.

Unfortunately, we're finding it a little hit and miss with a number of our fav's that we frequent. We can live with slower service or staff still figuring things out. However, there are a few places which we needed to give a break from visiting because the food quality became inconsistent and/or the service was a bit surly. We'll give a few of them another visit in a few months to see if things have gotten better.

We definitely see the price increases too.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:31 PM   #63

I have soured on dining out. Prices have soared, quality is average, and service is hit or miss, usually miss. We used to dine out 1-2x per week. Now it's 1-2x per quarter.

Also, with the exception of Chinese, I don't enjoy takeout and never have.

I have applied for my old curmudgeon card and have been approved.
HarveyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:18 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We have dramatically changed our dining out habits. Pre-pandemic, we ate lunch out once or twice a week at least and dinner at least 2-3 times/week, often with friends. The pandemic shut everything down for several months and when restaurants reopened, initially we went or got take-out frequently to help support them.

Over the last year, we cut down a lot. Often we’d consider going out, but when I thought about a likely dinner tab with a drink or two being $125-$150 with tax and tip just for an average meal, I usually decided to cook instead. As others have said, just because we CAN spend the money doesn’t mean we want to based on perceived value.

Now that DH is on a restricted diet due to his heart attack, we prefer eating at home. Much easier to manage portions and preparation. I’m sure as he recovers and life goes on, we will eventually dine out more again, but likely more as a special occasion thing at a really good restaurant as a rare treat.

I still eat out with my social group fairly often, but I often don’t drink alcohol so that I don’t have to worry about driving and also to control calories. That sure helps cut the cost down too!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:44 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Restaurants cost so much today, and we see little reason to spend so much eating out very often. It is just not part of our lifestyle.

My wife and I are both superior southern cooks anyway. And we cook so much more healthier on our own turf.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 11:56 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'm in this camp, although it's a bit of a stretch to say I hated dining out; it's more that I've always just disliked it and thought it overpriced and a bit pointless. I've often said I'd rather have hamburger at home than filet Mignon at a restaurant. Gimme a backyard family burger anytime over white glove service in a restaurant; I'm just more comfortable there.

Yeah- hate was probably too strong- I didn’t actually hate it, more like I dreaded it.
I agree about having a burger in the backyard better than white glove service. I’m just a very casual person.
I have a Traeger in my backyard that gets a lot of use.
Irishgirlyc58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 12:53 AM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

Eating out less and less. My dh and I basically go out twice a week: Friday evening we go to a favorite wine bar for a glass (or two of wine) and some appetizers. Sunday mornings we take our adult kids to breakfast (if they are available).
We don’t cook tons at home either ….just simple things like grilling and a side salad and vegetable, or more prepared foods from Trader Joe’s or Whole Foods. But I prefer it to going out.

Girls Night Out has been a staple for me for so many years and even that is now Girls Night In. We went out a few months ago…..$50 each for an entree and 2 drinks, tax and tip. There are four of us.
We had Girls Night In last Thursday. I went to Grocery Outlet and Trader Joes and got a pasta salad, Asian salad, focaccia, ice cream and cookies. I had watermelon and served wine (we have a lot!) The only “cooking” I did was putting the focaccia in the oven. I spent $30 at the two stores and we had just as nice of a time. Next time it will probably be a shared thing, like everyone bringing an appetizer.
Of course, I wouldn’t have liked staying in as much when my kids were younger….we’re empty nesters now.
PandaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:48 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

If people on this Forum (including myself) are typical of the population I don't see how most restaurants are going to survive. In fact, they haven't. Several of our favorite restaurants have already permanently closed.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
Also, with the exception of Chinese, I don't enjoy takeout and never have.
We get Chinese takeout, it reheats well and the value is there. For $50 two of us can eat for 3 days.

We rarely buy pizza anymore...partly because a decent one is now $30 - $35 and partly because we bought a pizza oven.

Wing night used to cost $30 or so, now it's approaching $50. We go for the social gathering and would never go on our own.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:05 AM   #70

In the past 2.5 years we have only been to restaurants no more than 10 times and that was for lunch outdoors with well spaced out seating at the far end of the designated area with the breeze at our backs. They were either Italian, Mexican, or hamburger selections.
We haven't been dining out since the beginning of the year because of the weather being too cool for outdoor dining. Even though we live on the coast in Florida most of the restaurant seafood is generally average (often fried or a basic unremarkable recipe), often frozen, and often overpriced. We can do much better at home with the assurance that the seafood is fresh from a market.
Occasionally we will get a pizza from Papa Murphys for $11-14 that we can pick-up to take home and cook for a hot pizza that is better than most other chains at a better value.
There are very few restaurants in NE Fl that could be considered fine dining. Most restaurants are casual dining if not chain and fast food venues. I don't consider most of them worth the cost.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:19 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
If people on this Forum (including myself) are typical of the population I don't see how most restaurants are going to survive. In fact, they haven't. Several of our favorite restaurants have already permanently closed.
There are lots of folks posting here who didn't go out to eat very often to begin with, the OP for one - those comments don't carry the same weight. A few restaurants closed due to the pandemic around us, but not many. And most that closed did so early on.

There's no question restaurants are still challenged with labor shortages, supply chain costs/availability and some diners who still aren't ready to mix the the public. We still go out three times a week, and most of our favorite (non chain) restaurants are working hard to maintain food, service and atmosphere but it hasn't been easy.

We did cut costs in one area. Where we might get one drink each with dinner, we've pretty much stopped that. Between driving under the mild influence and the 2-3X markups on liquor at restaurants - we don't miss it. A drink at home after makes better sense all around.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #72

I was never big on eating out.

We probably get Chinese take-out once a week or so from our favorite Chinese place. I reheat mine in the microwave, since I like my food hot.

I do not enjoy the noise of the restaurants and the waiting for the server to take your order, bring you your food and bring you the bill. I would much rather be home enjoying other things.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #73

Other than vacation, we just prefer our cooking and try new things @ home.

Service was not an issue, just quality and quantity for the inflated prices don't make sense. Add tax, tip & fuel... Just not worth it.

TX does not tax groceries, so a prime cut ribeye with salad, sides at home might be $20...our favorite meal. Add a nice bottle of wine for $12 bucks.

Breakfast is Wrights bacon & eggs over medium with an awesome seasoning from TJ's... Most days.

Lunch is whatever is left over or a burger on the grill (or soup fo DW, her favorite thing to make)...

She is back to travel for w*rk, so she gets to eat out more often, but typically regrets the way she feels afterwards.

We had a couple over (last minute) Sunday & just added shrimp to the bacon wrapped sirloins, more brussels, salad and homemade blackberry cobbler. If we spent $20 for 4, I'd be stretching it. (they brought the fancy box wine)...
Surewhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:46 AM   #74

OP here. Thanks to all for your thoughts!

I think we need to be careful about generalizing our experiences. We're probably not the demographic that most restaurants rely on. I certainly ate out a lot more when I was working. Lunch with colleagues, no time to cook, more mouths to feed, a looser budget and maybe even a wider social circle all contributed.

Now, I have time to cook and there are no kids in the house. Sure, I also have more time to sit in a restaurant, but why would I want to? I'd rather spend that time cooking what I want, using the ingredients I want, and relaxing in my living room.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:49 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
There are lots of folks posting here who didn't go out to eat very often to begin with, the OP for one - those comments don't carry the same weight. A few restaurants closed due to the pandemic around us, but not many. And most that closed did so early on.

There's no question restaurants are still challenged with labor shortages, supply chain costs/availability and some diners who still aren't ready to mix the the public. We still go out three times a week, and most of our favorite (non chain) restaurants are working hard to maintain food, service and atmosphere but it hasn't been easy.

We did cut costs in one area. Where we might get one drink each with dinner, we've pretty much stopped that. Between driving under the mild influence and the 2-3X markups on liquor at restaurants - we don't miss it. A drink at home after makes better sense all around.
I never order a glass of wine in a restaurant--the mark up is just too much. I wait and have a glass of wine at home if I want one (although I have not been drinking any alcohol for a while now). One time when I worked in a restaurant (long time ago) it was common knowledge that the way many restaurants made a profit was from the sale of alcohol, wonder if that is true. I am one of the ones that use to eat out at least a couple of times a week, now it is more like a couple of times a month and the main reason is that the service is so awful.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 06:53 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I do not enjoy the noise of the restaurants and the waiting for the server to take your order, bring you your food and bring you the bill. I would much rather be home enjoying other things.
Thanks, I was trying to think of a way to say that, but mine kept getting too long-winded.

That whole ritual, all the waiting between steps, never made sense to me. We try to place our food order when the server comes to take the drink order. Fail that and you won't see the server again for a half-hour!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:16 AM   #77

I'm soured on expensive restaurants. My wife and I don't go out much, and when we do, it's not an expensive restaurant. However when we visit my daughter and her husband, they always want to go to some new fancy expensive place. And because we can, we pay. This weekend was a celebration, we went to my daughters graduation from Dental school. She lives 400 miles away so we went for the weekend. Friday, 5 of us we went to a Korean BBQ restaurant, Food was good, but I didn't like the format. The bill was just over $400, Korean restaurant, no tips. Then on Saturday we went for ramen (noodle soup), I liked the broth, but I would have enjoyed a hamburg and fries more. That was only(?) $150. On Sunday they wanted to go to a Colombian Restaurant, I got a Ribeye steak with yellow rice and green beans with carrots. The steak had good flavor but was tough. I ate 20% of the rice, 1/2 the beans 1 carrot slice and 75% of the steak, We had Sanguine and that was good. Oh, and the salad was very good! The bill for the 5 of us was $410 with the tip.
My wife and I have had a discussion, we are done with that, we will spend $150 for 5 of us, but there is no need to go to expensive restaurants, for food. Period. The food is really not any better, and and the ambiance, it was just a noisy restaurant, It was the same at the Korean BBQ noisy. No meal matches up to a steak my son in law can do on the grill. Rant over for now.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

The hassle and the cost has us cooking at home more and more....Except for a fun morning breakfast visit to the Waffle House, we just do not get "going out" to eat anymore.
FlaMariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:52 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
I'm soured on expensive restaurants. My wife and I don't go out much, and when we do, it's not an expensive restaurant.
We came to the same conclusion re: very expensive restaurants. We've been to The French Laundry, Chez Panisse, Charlie Trotter's, TRU, Alinea, Topolobampo and several other "tasting menu" places over the years - glad we had the experience but we'd never go back to that kind of $$$$ dining again, just not worth it. I still wanted to try Le Bernardin, but I think we're done with conspicuous dining. We'll go out for a world class steak a couple times a year, but otherwise we're satisfied with great (Neapolitan) pizza, BBQ, burgers, Italian, sushi, seafood, Mexican, deli or breakfast. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:03 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrabbler1 View Post
My ladyfriend and I eat out at Applebee's every few months, and we find it a pleasant dining experience. We also buy our meals off the 2-for-$2x menu which means it costs me around $40 with tax and tip, and she gets some leftovers for another meal, all a good deal. One of the managers there knows us from previous visits over the years, so he makes sure we are treated well if there any problems.

My dad and I eat out every few months when I go see him. We go to a diner or to Ben's Deli, both a little pricier, even for lunch (between $45 and $50).

Not having to wear a mask any more at these places has been a big help in making our dining experiences better and more like what they were prior to early 2020.
Besides these few times I eat out, the only other times I eat out are the occasional pizza pie, where I buy one at a nearby place and bring it to my nearby LF's place to eat and pack up the uneaten slices to take home and freeze for further meals, and after I go to one of my doctor's offices - it's near another great pizza place and a Shake Shack, so I schedule my appointments in the late morning to time well with lunch afterward.

My LF was out of town for 2 weeks last month, so I did take-out a few times. Once, I bought a burger from this great burger place but cooked the fries at my place because mine come out better than theirs! Keeping the burger warm was a minor challenge.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote