Anyone Else Soured on Dining Out?

Friday night we joined friends at a winery to listen to some music and enjoy their property. A BBQ food truck was available. DW and I paid $32 for a half rack of ribs, brisket sandwich, and 2 orders of both hush puppies fries. The servings were so large that we brought home more than half the food and it was lunch and dinner for Saturday.

Lots of tables around and spread out, we could also walk the property (200+ acres), so we were very comfortable.

You've described my idea of heaven. We love a good food truck, and nicely we have a fantastic food truck scene here. A good number of our local breweries bring them in on the weekends, often with live music, making for a fun, affordable and super tasty night out.

Fine dining in the traditional sense is something we indulge in less and less due to how pricey it has become in comparison to 1) great casual local spots, 2) upscale fast casual spots where a nice beer or cocktail can be ordered with our meal, 3) breweries and wineries that either also sell really tasty food, or bring in fantastic food trucks, and 4) a vibrant Happy Hour scene due to a hugh number of active seniors here that want to get out and socialize over good food and alcohol that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

We dine out a lot, but we average a pretty modest amount per meal, which generally includes alcohol. Fine dining can blame itself when two entrees and two glasses of wine, plus tax & tip, approaches $200. Or more. For that amount we're able to enjoy 4-6 dine outs via above. And they are usually way more fun.

Last edited:
My idea of heaven? A quiet, uncrowded, not rushed place that happens to have good food.
Good food meaning something that I won't or can't cook myself.
The lodge at our summer cabin comes pretty close.

I really like a good grilled cheese sandwich every so often. A local mid-level restaurant bills its grilled cheese as "the most fabulous ever!" I ordered take out last week, total price of $21.00 for sandwich and a small serving of cole slaw. The cole slaw was good but the grilled cheese was truly abysmal. Two pieces of mediocre bread, small amount of a couple types of cheese. It reminded me of this thread since it was fairly ludicrous for the price paid. I would have preferred the ol' iron smashed grilled cheeses we used to make growing up at home. Well, trial and error I guess but this just reinforces the fact that restaurants so often aren't worth it, to me, these days.

What is it with folks measuring a meal on how BIG it is? Is that an American thing?

If I get a big meal I take at least half of it home for the next day. I am willing to pay a little more for a big meal because I can get 2-3 meals out of it.

If I get a big meal I take at least half of it home for the next day. I am willing to pay a little more for a big meal because I can get 2-3 meals out of it.

Yes but, as I mentioned, some things aren't good as leftovers and if you're traveling you may nit have any way to store or reheat them. So, we either overeat or waste food by throwing it out.

Yes but, as I mentioned, some things aren't good as leftovers and if you're traveling you may nit have any way to store or reheat them. So, we either overeat or waste food by throwing it out.
Exactly. I'm part of a monthly group where the meal is so big I can either eat the spinach salad or grilled veggies sandwich. Not both. And I continually have to ask for sandwich deconstructed. That roll is so soggy it's disgusting later. Same with the salad. Wish they enabled 1/2 portions for discount

I think smaller portions are a good thing- I just object when prices aren't reduced accordingly. Take a look at the calories, etc. on a typical NJ Mom-and-Pop deli sandwich and it's WAY more than the average person should be eating in a meal. Restaurants have been increasing portion sizes for years (and increasing prices by a bigger %, of course), which is why so many people are overeating. If you're traveling, boxing up half and taking it home isn't an option and some things such as fried foods aren't as good served as leftovers.

The only way to get smaller portions was to order "Senior" portions at some places and that was usually from a limited menu and only during early-bird" dinner hours.

Panera has giant cookies at the counter with calorie counts listed- really awful numbers.. I once remarked that I couldn't burn up those calories in a 30-mile bike ride. The clerk replied that "Those are for sharing". Uh-huh. I'm sure most people share them.:rolleyes:

These places are not health food or vitamin shops. They feed Americans who are HUNGRY! :LOL:

Frank and I usually split a single restaurant meal when we eat out, like we did yesterday with our Caesar salad. Either we split the meal, or we get half boxed to take home.

As you all know, we don't travel much. Still, on the rare occasion when we do, we are happy if/when we find that our motel room has a small frig and microwave. That helps and might even be the case more often now than in past years.

Still, we are planning to eat at home (instead of restaurants) more frequently in the future. Eating at home would be the way to go if we have to go through lockdown again, instead of trying to get food delivered. Today Frank made us roasted chicken sandwiches which were delicious. TBH I don't really cook any more, but I suppose I could start doing that again.

What is it with folks measuring a meal on how BIG it is? Is that an American thing?

We have a nice little Italian place about 5 minutes from our house. The owner is Italian and makes some delightful dishes that are quite reasonable in size (and price). Oddly enough, the only negative thing you see on the reviews are the portion sizes. :cool:

We have a nice little Italian place about 5 minutes from our house. The owner is Italian and makes some delightful dishes that are quite reasonable in size (and price). Oddly enough, the only negative thing you see on the reviews are the portion sizes. :cool:

Looking at the relative size of folks you see wandering around in the USA compared with that of folks in Europe and the UK is probably a dead giveaway. :(

Went to this ramen/udon place, which was going to close in September.

It's in a pedestrianized part of the downtown of a nearby city. Had to park a bit away to get to it.

They set up a couple of tables out front with umbrellas.

I ordered a ramen, pot stickers and some Japanese green tea which turned out to be something in a bottle but at least it wasn't sweetened.

All came to $25 plus with tip. The tea was $4 by itself.

The ramen with a few slices of pork in a dark chicken/pork broth was okay, just okay. They brought out some condiments, various spices and sauces. The potstickers were the best.

Think I could have done a lot better for the same money elsewhere.

Maybe try out some udon when the weather gets colder.

And finally, monsieur, a wafer-thin mint

Nope, DW and I grew up in non-"American" cultures and it is there as well :LOL:.

In truth, I only measure a meal based on "will any be left after I eat a reasonable amount?" If I can eat a meal and leave nothing left, that is fine. But I am not going to force myself to eat a large meal just so nothing is left. Once I feel full, the rest likely becomes take home.

As for traveling, our "blow that dough" position is to stay in hotel rooms with fridge/microwave or even full kitchen. If we do bring something back it is not wasted. Probably 95% of the stuff we can bring back if desired. Different strokes for different folks... :)

Interesting takes on portion size.

There's a Thai place near us, just a few doors down from one of the better Chinese restaurants in town. It's actually quite good, but for about the same money I get twice as much food at the Chinese place. Which is why I never get Thai.

I honestly don't know why restaurants skimp like this. Food costs are only one of many expenses. They could always fill out the portions with cheap fillers like potatoes, rice and bread. If I'm going to pay a premium, I want a full meal! Offer light portion sizes at a discount if you have customers who like that sort of thing. Don't punish me because some little old lady wants less food.

When I first started traveling to Europe one of the things I learned is that there are no 'doggie bags' in most restaurants. IMO, that alone explains why portions, while ample, are not huge.

I was not so good at explaining my discovery to all my fellow American travelers. Most got it, but some, well..... let's just say they are not traveling to experience cultural differences. Today, I just smile when I see an American wonder why their lattè is just hot steamed milk. Or wonder why the hotel does not offer wash clothes. Though that is changing. Don't get me started on the huge pillows in Spain that substitute for two individual bed pillows. How do you know if you will get along well with your partner? Share a one huge pillow all night.

Did a whole week of dining out with hundreds of people. Food was great and I didn't worry at all about the dreaded covid.

We stopped into a Buffalo Wildwings last week... doubt we will ever go back...
Service was pleasant but slow, ordered a sampler plate, and still didn't get my beer by the time it arrived. But then was informed they didn't have what I ordered, then my 2nd choice, also out... got our plate of wings and still hadn't gotten my beer.
So in the end... Sampler plate, 15 wings, one beer $48... asked them to double check it.

I don't mind small meals at a restaurant that serves quality food in a just-in-time way. Quality.

When we talk about fast-casual restaurants, they've both shrinkflationed and inflationed the meals, without the quality.

In my last time at Panera (over 3 years ago), I got a "You Pick Two" meal that had tiny portions. It sounds like the trend continued. I don't think the quality matched the price.

Large Americans are getting a lot of their issues from other places than fast casual or fine dining.

Offer light portion sizes at a discount if you have customers who like that sort of thing. Don't punish me because some little old lady wants less food.

Umm,, little old lady here.:D

The restaurants don't offer smaller portions as an option because they make more money serving bigger ones and charging accordingly. Larger portions don't increase costs such as rent, the utilities or the servers' wages and probably don't take much more of the cooks' time. Even if you offer, say, half-portions at 75% of the cost, you're cutting down the tips of your servers for the same amount of work.

So, we're mostly stuck with large portions.

Umm,, little old lady here.:D

The restaurants don't offer smaller portions as an option because they make more money serving bigger ones and charging accordingly. Larger portions don't increase costs such as rent, the utilities or the servers' wages and probably don't take much more of the cooks' time. Even if you offer, say, half-portions at 75% of the cost, you're cutting down the tips of your servers for the same amount of work.

So, we're mostly stuck with large portions.
When all is said and done, like most businesses restaurants sell what diners buy. Ever noticed the median body weight of diners in the restaurants that offer LARGE portions?

Offer light portion sizes at a discount if you have customers who like that sort of thing.
There are a few diners around here (NJ - diner heaven) that have "mini meals" on the menu. I almost always order those because they are cheaper and are almost always still way too much food.

How Panera stays in business I have no idea. Quality of its food is average, price is 20-30% more than your average fast food joint, quantity of food is paltry. The pick 2 portion is similar to a kids meal (the half sandwich is good for 3 bites). I used to grab it every now and then since there was one near my office, but realized I would be hungry after like a couple hours whenever I got the pick 2.

They seem to have some loyal customers. I know a couple of them and it doesn't make sense to me. YMMV

They seem to have some loyal customers. I know a couple of them and it doesn't make sense to me. YMMV

I subscribe to their monthly drink program...used to be just coffee & tea (hot only, not iced) but now has expanded to all drinks...the caffeinated lemonades are interesting.

I've never bought any food there, though.

I prefer breakfast at a few local Greek diners if I am going out.

Back
Top Bottom