Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone Else Soured on Dining Out?
Old 06-06-2022, 06:53 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone Else Soured on Dining Out?

We went to a restaurant the other day. One we used to really like. We've been going out with friends and relatives, or grabbing a quick bite somewhere out of convenience, but I think this was our first proper "dining out" since the pandemic shutdowns.

I hated it. With all the staffing shortages, service was terrible. But the server tried her best so we still gave a good tip. The long delays were made worse by the new, classy-looking but uncomfortable chairs they'd bought. My back was aching by the time we finally left. It was more a test of endurance than an enjoyable evening.

I could have gotten take out and eaten it in the comfort of my own home. I think that's going to be our preference from now on.

Anyone else?
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2022, 07:11 AM   #2

We've haven't dined out much over the past 5 to 10 years...maybe twice a month on average before the shutdowns. Over the past couple months, we have begun venturing out a bit, and have been quite happy. We liked Applebee's and the combo/value 2-fer offering. The portions were good size, the price was right, and we added a couple of drinks which were very good. We also went to a Chinese/Japanese buffet in the next town over that we had never been to before, were extraordinarily happy with it, and will definitely be going back. We have a similar one in our town, but a good amount higher priced. We've also been to a couple other local places, and have likewise been very happy with them. All staff has been extremely attentive, continue implementing higher health/safety standards, and I feel our experiences have been better than pre-pandemic.
njhowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:22 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have. For us it used to be about the experience and cost was second, but now waitstaffs are poorly trained, management at some of the places we used to go could give a rip and now cost does enter the picture when even a simple meal is $75-$100 by us.
Nope, we stay home. We made cedar planked salmon last night, fresh green beans and a nice dry Riesling all for about a third of what we pay in a restaurant.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:40 AM   #4

We enjoy going out for breakfast. For the most part, our meals are at home. We like buying our fresh vegetables or from the garden in the backyard. We're eating less meat. I make a great salad, 10x better than any restaurant for a fraction of the cost. And I know the veggies are fresh.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #5

Eating out, in general, is not so good in the US (except for in New Orleans). Service is a crapshoot, and the general quality of food isn't very good.

Our American mass-produced food industry is the primary culprit. Diversity of ingredients, diversity of flavors, and protecting the integrity and quality of our food all are afterthoughts to getting the price down.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #6

Not at all soured. I have never frequented big chains though, usually prefer places where the owner is on site most nights.

We have continued going to our regular sushi place, sitting outside during most of the pandemic, but will go inside when the weather requires it. Though we did have a super cold snap in January, during peak Omicron, so we did take out that night and neither in nor out were a good idea.

For me dining out has been far less about actual food and more the overall ambiance, service, and a break. A date night. Yes I can eat mostly as well at home, and do more than not, but that's far from the point for me.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:02 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Generally, we pick up and eat at home, but for the past few months we have restarted eating out once month with family.
We go to places that have outside dining only, which is limited around here, except during summer.
Service has varied, food has been OK, cost is crazy. Yesterday two burgers, two non alcoholic drinks $50.
I go out to be with family, so the restaurant is tolerated.
I would prefer to have everyone come to our house and we fix a meal or pot luck it, but they all want to get "out of the house".
Old 06-06-2022, 08:16 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
Eating out, in general, is not so good in the US (except for in New Orleans). Service is a crapshoot, and the general quality of food isn't very good.

Our American mass-produced food industry is the primary culprit. Diversity of ingredients, diversity of flavors, and protecting the integrity and quality of our food all are afterthoughts to getting the price down.

Couldn’t have said it better. I am in Mexico now and it’s a world of a difference in terms of food quality and service.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I've noticed a decline in service as well but there are some places that still do a good job. I try to stick to those. I've always done a lot of takeout so that really hasn't increased in my case.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:26 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

We're doing it less just because of the price increases, though we can well afford it. Even lunch, no alcohol, is $35. Really, a meal in a restaurant should not be a BTD experience.

Another factor is the expanding "fast food" ordering system where you order at a counter instead of being seated and ordering from a menu. A close variant is where they want you to figure out their iPad system to enter an order yourself. Both of those, right out of the box, make the dining experience unpleasant.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:34 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

We eat out on occasion, but not too often. I’ve not seen any drop off in service quality, but there are more limited menu items and everything is more expensive. We eat much more at home because of health reasons, but the occasional night out is fun.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 08:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Our eating out habits haven't changed in years even thru the pandemic for the most part... Still eat out a lot. Some drive thru and some dine-in... About the only thing I've noticed "recently" is the price increases. ~$25 for two to eat at McDonald's is nuts but what are you going to do. (Rhetorical)
Old 06-06-2022, 08:45 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Staffing shortages after Covid in hospitality IMO will mean worse experiences probably for years to come. I’ve read the same in reviews for once popular resort hotels - substandard cleaning, room service non-existent or very poor, limited dining options.

Unfortunately I think this is a new reality.

P.S. we rarely dine out due to much healthier food at home and only ate out once at a restaurant (outdoors) since Covid started and yes, the favorites were gone from their menu. We’ve only ordered takeout 3 times.

But we are planning on some long road trips and hoping for room service to be a good strategy and read several upscale hotel reviews and unfortunately things are way subpar compared to pre-Covid.

In general we’ll have to go for lodging with kitchens. Not a problem overall, but there are some locations with resort hotels that would have been nice.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:51 AM   #14

We live 35 miles from town, and over an hour from a city with restaurant choices. So when you add the gas bill to the food bill, well, we have cut back trips, and therefore eat out less frequent. We make doctor appointments in the afternoon, and add a stop at a restaurant afterwards. After church, it is food shopping time. Bought a Foodie Grill and we have never prepared so many interesting, some not so interesting, meals.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:02 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by njhowie View Post
We've haven't dined out much over the past 5 to 10 years...maybe twice a month on average before the shutdowns. Over the past couple months, we have begun venturing out a bit, and have been quite happy. We liked Applebee's and the combo/value 2-fer offering. The portions were good size, the price was right, and we added a couple of drinks which were very good. We also went to a Chinese/Japanese buffet in the next town over that we had never been to before, were extraordinarily happy with it, and will definitely be going back. We have a similar one in our town, but a good amount higher priced. We've also been to a couple other local places, and have likewise been very happy with them. All staff has been extremely attentive, continue implementing higher health/safety standards, and I feel our experiences have been better than pre-pandemic.
My ladyfriend and I eat out at Applebee's every few months, and we find it a pleasant dining experience. We also buy our meals off the 2-for-$2x menu which means it costs me around $40 with tax and tip, and she gets some leftovers for another meal, all a good deal. One of the managers there knows us from previous visits over the years, so he makes sure we are treated well if there any problems.

My dad and I eat out every few months when I go see him. We go to a diner or to Ben's Deli, both a little pricier, even for lunch (between $45 and $50).

Not having to wear a mask any more at these places has been a big help in making our dining experiences better and more like what they were prior to early 2020.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:11 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

For the money, especially with high restaurant prices these days, we usually get more fun out of plays and concerts. We still get inexpensive carry out, like dim sum and Chinese. We spend more on restaurants when we go out with friends because that is what some of them like, or when our kids are in town, because they enjoy it. But if we are going to spend $70 on a night out for just the two of us, I'd rather attend a symphony orchestra concert and eat something healthy at home.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:15 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letj View Post
Couldn’t have said it better. I am in Mexico now and it’s a world of a difference in terms of food quality and service.
Well said, we rarely eat out anymore unless we have to. We do take out from our favorite Chinese. We live in a resort town, and one would expect good eats, but it is very rare, at least in our experience. Service could be excellent, but if the food is sub-par or not worth it, service becomes moot.

We love Mexico and agree with your observation.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:26 AM   #18

Rarely these days, at least nothing "fine dining." Prices are just too high. If eating out at all, I prefer low key mom and pop type breakfast places, delis, cafes and the like.

There are also some really great food trucks in my area.
Marita40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:45 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
We don't eat in restaurants due to Covid still circulating, even if there is no mask mandates.

Even picking up food to take home, I've noticed a drop in service.
At one restaurant, I just ring up my bill and pay it and leave with the food. Last time I even tipped myself

Last night I picked up a pizza as we were tired from cutting down a tree and when I picked up the pizza, I was surprised to find only 1 person working at the Papa John's at 7pm.
No wonder the pizza order had said it would take 30 minutes from the online site.
Old 06-06-2022, 09:48 AM   #20
Administrator

According to BLS data, while the overall economy has recovered to pre-covid employment levels, employment in bars, restaurants and hotels is still 1 million jobs below the pre-Covid level (14.4 vs 13.3 million, 01/19 vs 04/22). Anecdotal reports claim turnover has been very high and many of the recent hires in this sector are new, and therefore less trained.

I think the data and anecdotal reports confirm the views in this thread that service levels have declined in some restaurants and hotels, which are at the same time getting pricier.

We cut back on dine in restaurants during the pandemic period, are just starting to go back, but aren’t really motivated yet to continue. It’s clear this part of the economy is still adjusting, and we’ll watch that from the sidelines.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote