Anyone Financially Independent, but still working?

Well, I'm still working but if I wasn't, I'd have twice the AT income I currently spend. I'm sick of my career, just working my way to exiting (61). Oh, and I've run a marathon, built my own house, raised two great kids, read lots of books, and I come HERE for inspiration that walking away from work is a good idea! Hence I'm just saying I appreciate this board and you people inspire me to become more of a slacker! :LOL:

FI and still working. Yes indeed. Back in '09 I was closing in on FI and our company went through a major reorg. I had to reapply for a position with the compny I had been with for 29 years. I walked through the interview, gave them what they wanted to hear (Cool Hand Luke comes to mind) and was glad to know this would not happen again. Now with FI in hand I would love for my boss to arrange a meeting with HR.

I'm 15 months into my ER. I developed a Biology class for our local Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. I described it to a friend who is still working. He kept trying to get me to somehow get paid for it. He has his own business and every public appearance is time he expects to get paid for. He didn't understand that I considered it volunteer work. Or better yet, as I told my class, that I have always had a professional obligation as an engineer/scientist to train the next generation and reach out to the public. It doesn't involve a lot of time. It's been a fun intellectual challenge. At this point in my life, getting paid for it would probably ruin it for me. For now this is my contribution back to society.

We are Fi according to the various on lin calculators, my own spread sheet and common sense. However, I got spooked when the equity markets fell sharply in 2011 and decided to keep working for "one more year" to give us some additional "sleep at night" security. I intend to leave the office on either 31 December 2012 or early/mid 2013 depending on bonus expectations nearer the time.

Retired 1/3/2011 and took a job 11 months later with my town working in the transfer station 2 days a week. The money doesn't matter but I meet up with old schoolmates, Town politicians, etc. I enjoy it.

Dale

I went through FireCalc only once a couple of years ago when I first found this site.

Now I have more money and if we go by 3 or 4% SWR, I could probably retire, though with the free time, I'd travel more which would raise my spending.

There are good days and bad days at work, though overall, it's pretty easy work, other than some long hours at times. Even then, I clock a lot of OT from home while watching TV or surfing.

Knowing that I could walk away makes the bad days more tolerable.

Back
Top Bottom