Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone for San Miguel ?
Old 02-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone for San Miguel ?

Have been hearing good things (latest from AARP magazine) about San Miguel Mexico. Like - inexpensive housing, safe environment, friendly people, great weather year round, and lots of ex-pats living there. Anyone know anything about the area? anyone ever visit there ?
I've been trying to get the wife to go there for a vacation, but it's not going well. Best I can do so far, is get her to vacation in Tuscany. She got this 'thing' about Italy.
Ray
renferme is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Anyone for San Miguel ?
Old 02-05-2004, 12:42 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Check out John Howell's book on how to retire in Mexico. The guy has lived all over Central America for the past 20 years, so he knows what he's talking about.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I visited Sam Miguel de Allende many times when I was much younger. Beautiful colonial style mountain town, lots of American and Europeans. Very little Spanish language skills needed. Near perfect weather ...

However, the costs of real estate have risen sky high since then. Homes are as pricey as many places in the U.S. The place is too expensive for almost all Mexican nationals.

There are other fine old silver mining towns with as many features but much cheaper cost of living in the area. I would suggest using San Miguel as a base of exploration to other towns like Guanajato or quaint nearby villages offering better value and less intrusion of American culture.

A fun way to get there is the overnight train ride from Laredo on the Texas - Mexico border... Be sure to take a litre of the finest Tequila with you and have a party in your compartment.

Yee Haw!
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 01:16 AM   #4

Hello Ol__Rancher! If it was just the 2 of us to think about,. we'd be planning a trip to Mexico right now I am sure. Alas, too many entanglements here. Plus, as I get older, moving outside of the "friendly confines"
becomes more problematic. You can't do everything
no matter how much time/money you have. Just
accept it.

John Galt
Old 02-06-2004, 05:03 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

John Galt,
I personally would not live in Mexico. When I was younger it seemed like a way to RE if only I could reach the reduced amount to FI. Now that I have, the prospect of living where the medical community leaves a lot to be desired (compared to what is available here) is a concern.
After nearly a dozen trips throughout Mexico (teacher summer vacations) I began to tire of the defensive posture one must take to safeguard one's property. I also noted the hassle of dealing with anything that needed bureaucratic service, and the hidden tax of mordida (bribe/tip) needed to get anything done in a timely manner. There are numerous trade-offs living in Mexico or Central America beyond the needed language skills that are often not apparent to casual traveler. I would never live in a compound of all American expats anywhere in the world... Living south of the border is not for everyone.
Ol&#039; Rancher<br /><br />I wake up in the morning with nothing to do, and by the end of the day, I feel lucky if I&#039;ve gotten less than half of it done.
Ol_Rancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:41 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Check out John Howell's book on how to retire in Mexico. The guy has lived all over Central America for the past 20 years, so he knows what he's talking about.
Sorry, that would be John Howells, not Howell. Notice the added "s" at the end.

BTW, he has also written books on Costa Rica, the Southwest, and the Pacific Northwest. His tone on each place is upbeat, but he's also truthful about the pluses and minuses of each place.
Got retiree health care through your company? What if the company goes bankrupt? Retire and go RVing full time? RVs are not structurally sound. You'll die in a fiery crash. Retire and live overseas? What if you die? Aren't you worried about your body? No, I don't think I will be able to seeing how I am dead.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 10:29 AM   #7
Confused about dryer sheets

San Miguel..................heck, I though you meant the BEER! I just about lived on that stuff while in the Navy! 8)
PaperSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 12:39 AM   #8

I just heard something that reconfirmed OlRancher's
observations about ER south of the border. Guy on the
radio was talking about visits there and how things
can double and triple in price by the time the bribes
are paid. Plus, the bureacracy and red tape can make
life a nightmare. It was not a pretty picture and if true
makes me glad I spent little time checking out Mexico
and Central America.

John Galt
Old 03-06-2004, 03:50 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

John

Check out Paul Terhorst's post on getting a visa to visit Paraguay from Argentina. Doesn't say bribes but his adventure would be 'my hassle' - I think I'm not as 'flexible' in my old age.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2004, 10:37 AM   #10

Hi Unclemick. Yep, know what you mean. I am quite
hassle-averse and getting more so all the time.
Reminds me of a twist on an old joke. I'd rather spend my money than waste my time, and I am quite fond of my money

John Galt