Anyone go through retirement Hell?

At this moment I am at the park with a grand. We already hit up the Farmers Market for goodies. I’m doing this to help my child who is a single parent. What could possibly be more useful and important?

This describes our current Retirement Heaven!!

I'm in year nine of retirement.
If you look at that Happiness Graph in the article, I may have had a small dip after the initial exuberance wore off, but nothing major.

It helps to have a bunch of hobbies/activities that you can expand into once the constrictions of earning a living have been thrown off.
This means pre-retirement interests to start with, and with new things certainly possible as well...

Personally...I find all marketwatch stuff to be click-baity and not really worth the bother. This one looks like it's a giant ad for the writer's book.
I scanned the article and had the same thought: he’s just trying to plug his book.

I don’t buy into his premise at all. To the contrary, I am a believer in Walt34’s philosophy “I heard the call to do nothing. So I answered it.” Whenever I’m asked what I do with myself, I answer “As little as possible.” :D

At this moment I am at the park with a grand. We already hit up the Farmers Market for goodies. I’m doing this to help my child who is a single parent. What could possibly be more useful and important?
Amen.

I just spent three days with an 18-month old grandson. It was great fun flouting all of Mommy and Daddy’s rules. I just say “When Pop-Pop’s here, the rules don’t apply. Who wants ice cream!” :LOL:

Retirement probably is Hell for workaholics. I was never a workaholic. I find myself as busy as I want to be in retirement. This week, I’ve been building a fence.

I really dislike that he assumes that being retired doesn't offer meaning. Many retired people live very meaningful lives - doting on grandkids, exploring the world, volunteering, watching the entire netflix library. LOL.

"Meaningful lives"

What does that even mean?

For me meaning comes from within. Since that is the case, no one, and I mean no one, can determine, define or even guess what "meaningful life means"

For me

Except me

And I always have the final say [emoji16]

Last edited:
I really knew for sure that I had no interest of working at my old company again when, about 5 years ago, a friend and former coworker (who has since retired BTW) told me I could do some of my former work and it would be only from home (i.e. none of the despised commute which had driven me out in 2008). Without any hesitation whatsoever, I emphatically turned it down ("NO!").

Ironically, had I been given that offer as an alternative to leaving back in late 2008, I would probably have accepted it, as long as I could get back into their group health plan. One thing I wanted to avoid was to work for the company but have to buy my own, expensive health insurance (this was 5 years before the ACA).

Surely no retirement hell for me!

Although I didn't give the article much credence, for reasons others here have stated, I must admit that, 12 years after stopping work, I have been descending into a retirement slump recently. Unlike the author of the article, it has nothing to do with money. I have no financial worries whatsoever. All my material needs, shelter, food, healthcare, etc are all taken care of. For most people, to be able to finance their life without having to lift a finger is a dream - it certainly was for me while I was working.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think my problem is partially a lack of interests, combined with an extreme introversion that isn't always good for me. After I stopped work, I was happy to spend a lot of time at home catching up on an old hobby of mine, ham radio. I spent several years building radio gear and blogging about it. I proved to myself that I could build to a higher standard than I had done in the past. It was all quite satisfying. Once I had proven to myself that I could do it, the interest gradually slipped away.

I also busied myself with another old hobby of mine, photography. Back in the early 2000's, I had revived the interest by getting into the then relatively new medium of digital photography. I found that I was capable of taking photos that were much better than I had when younger. In the first 10 years of my retirement, I got myself another camera that was much more tuned to my current interests and discovered, once again, that I was capable of working to a standard that I was happy with. Once I got to that point, my interest in continuing waned significantly.

For almost 15 years now, I have been very keen on the idea of having an RV or campervan. A couple of years ago, I got myself a cool old Airstream campervan. I spent a little time getting it set up the way I wanted it, and took some trips. The plan was to discover the great American West - and perhaps more of the country, if that went well. I did see some great countryside and beautiful vistas, but also felt while I was traveling, that there was no "there" there - or at least, not as much of it as I had hoped. After each trip, I was quite happy to return home.

I have spent a lot of time at home over the last 2 months, recovering from knee surgery. This forced lack of activity has pushed me over the edge into inactivity, to the point where it's hard to motivate myself to get up and go out some days. It doesn't take much to keep me happy but, at the same time, my need for stimulation is so low, that I can easily slip below that threshold and become bored for quite a long time before I'll realize it and admit it to myself. I am bored to the teeth with binge-watching mediocre shows on Netflix and Amazon!

So that's where I'm at, in a nutshell. I'm hoping to pull myself together soon and find new ways to find meaning and enjoyment in my retirement. I'm only 57, so that would be a lot of years to spend feeling unfulfilled, if I don't.

Last edited:
Such loaded phrases are what make click-bait what it is. ("Are they implying that my life isn't meaningful, compared with some other people's lives? I've wondered that myself! Let me see that!!")

"Meaningful lives"

What does that even mean?

For me meaning comes from within. Since that is the case, no one, and I mean no one, can determine, define or even guess what "meaningful life means"

For me

Except me

And I always have the final say [emoji16]

Click. Bait.

Exactly. Only one reason to write such an article - to make $. Lots of similar articles out there. IMO the number of people going through "retirement hell" is very very small. Nobody in their right mind would prefer work over retirement. If so, they are not doing retirement correctly.

Although I didn't give the article much credence, for reasons others here have stated, I must admit that, 12 years after stopping work, I have been descending into a retirement slump recently.

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I think my problem is partially a lack of interests, combined with an extreme introversion that isn't always good for me.

Best wishes. It seems you stated your solutions. I am similar, in that I’m happiest when I’m learning something new and fiddling with stuff to improve it. Right now, my mission in life is building a fence. And I agree that life goes better when we’re involved with other people, which requires making some effort, as it’s a two way street.

I have spent a lot of time at home over the last 2 months, recovering from knee surgery. This forced lack of activity has pushed me over the edge into inactivity, to the point where it's hard to motivate myself to get up and go out some days. It doesn't take much to keep me happy but, at the same time, my need for stimulation is so low, that I can easily slip below that threshold and become bored for quite a long time before I'll realize it and admit it to myself. I am bored to the teeth with binge-watching mediocre shows on Netflix and Amazon!

It's quite natural to slip into a bit of depression after an injury or surgery like knee surgery. I'm sure there's a biochemical reason for it, but whatever the reason enforced inactivity combined with pain will kick anyone's butt. I suspect that once you become mobile and healthy, something will catch your attention and you'll regain some of your joie de vivre. In the meantime, turn off your TV (the opiate of the masses) and learn to play an instrument or something. Best of luck to you.

Best wishes. It seems you stated your solutions. I am similar, in that I’m happiest when I’m learning something new and fiddling with stuff to improve it. Right now, my mission in life is building a fence. And I agree that life goes better when we’re involved with other people, which requires making some effort, as it’s a two way street.

You're right. I'm aware of both the problem, and the solution. Luckily, it doesn't take much to fill a day, and it would only take one or two new interests to get me up and going again. And yes - all but the most extreme reclusive types need connection with others. We all need that.

It's quite natural to slip into a bit of depression after an injury or surgery like knee surgery. I'm sure there's a biochemical reason for it, but whatever the reason enforced inactivity combined with pain will kick anyone's butt. I suspect that once you become mobile and healthy, something will catch your attention and you'll regain some of your joie de vivre. In the meantime, turn off your TV (the opiate of the masses) and learn to play an instrument or something. Best of luck to you.

Yes, the forced inactivity really did throw me for a loop. Thankfully, I am near the end of that phase of recovery. Turning off the TV begins today :)

As to the travel thing, me too. I've always enjoyed seeing different places, but always happier to be going home!

There are a lot of people that live to work (I'm not one of them) and those that can't sit still and need something to do. I was lucky and enjoyed my work, but it was work. I like problem solving, and I have hobbies that let me problem solve and explore other interests. If you find yourself in "retirement hell", volunteer at a charity. I don't see what the big deal is.

NO, not only no, but He’ll No! Life is what you make it. I, for one, don’t thinkI was put on this earth to bring someone else’s ides of meaningful to fruition. My life in my easy chair is meaningful enough.

As a little kid, I wanted to play whiffle ball every day. I went thru 35 years with a Fortune 500 Company. had a good career. I retired at 56. Found out that in the LA and Thousand Oaks area there are 300 crazy senior softball players. I am in heaven. I could play softball 6 days a week, but I settle for 3. I am proud of my career, but I only think about the next softball game. me happy

Retirement Hell

I realize I'm pretty much out of my element on this board. I read of these people who are so married to their jobs they can't function without them and my first thought is how empty their lives must be if their job is the only justification they have for existing.

I worked production for GM with the "golden handcuffs" of being eligible for full retirememnt/benefits at 30 years. Working production I learned to work "from the neck down." The books "Rivethead" and "the Savage Factory" are a pretty fair depection of the enviroment I existed in for most of my "career."

I always did my job but GM never had my brain. My real life was built outside the plant. Retied at 53 in 2005. Never regretted that choice.

My advice would be to have a life, intrests, passions, hobbies, sports, all seperate and outside of work involving people not associated with your job.

Yes, the article was likely originally published in support/explanation of his new book (I've read his first co-authored book but not his latest) but MarketWatch seems to typically search for content to republish for clicks/eyeballs.

My analogy to what he's trying to describe in his retirement article is Trip Planning. Some people, like me, need to build a detailed spreadsheet pre-trip on what we're planning to do on a vacation. I'm pretty horrible at winging it and what I really hate is wasting my vacation time in [pick destination] trying to google something interesting to do. Other people are just happy going with the flow or laying poolside with a drink.

Mike Drak, the author, seems to convey he would sleep better if his retirement was a bit mapped out aligning what he's looking to do and ensuring he has the corresponding dollars to fund it. It's doesn't have to be "work" per se but ideally his activies would be something that hits the Self Actualization top level of Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs.

Retire into a Alzheimer’s caregiving situation, you will have purpose while living in retirement hell all at the same time

+1
Like Pb4uski, I had a rewarding career.
However, now it is time for a different stage of life and I am coming up on 4 years of retirement and still in the honeymoon stage.

That is exactly how I expressed it when I retired 10 years ago. I had a great career but it is time to move on and do something else now that I can afford it.

Back
Top Bottom