Join Early Retirement Today

Anyone here into Wine Making?
Old 10-30-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Anyone here into Wine Making?

I just started and am on my first 5 gallon batch. Just using grape juice till I get the hang of it. Shooting for 13% - 14% alcohol.

Day 3 of primary fermentation so far, Airlock is bubbling nicely. Using a PET Carboy.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes it is a fun hobby. We have done raspberry, strawberry wine in the past. This is our first year with pear. We have had good success with it. Beer is more difficult - a lot more variables to watch. I have a good batch, then a not so good batch with it.
chrisaukcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #3

Not me, although we are into wine drinking!

If you haven't run into him (?) on the boards yet, forum member "winemaker" is undoubtedly into it. Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community - View Profile: Winemaker
Old 10-30-2016, 03:38 PM   #4
gone traveling

I make every type of beverage - wine, beer, mead, cider, maybe some other stuff too. I made mostly fruit wines for years, which came out pretty well, and tried grape concentrate from a can, but wasn't happy with that. Since moving to wine country, I've had access to top-quality winegrapes, and was amazed at what good wine could be made from those - especially when compared to canned juice! It's a great hobby - not so great for the liver, though!
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:06 PM   #5

I did it decades ago. But trying it a gain. 5 gal apple and 5 gal apple-cranberry started. Both started in 20 gal food grade trash cans (primary) and now in 5 gal carboys with air locks.

We'll see how these progress.
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisaukcam View Post
Yes it is a fun hobby. We have done raspberry, strawberry wine in the past. This is our first year with pear. We have had good success with it. Beer is more difficult - a lot more variables to watch. I have a good batch, then a not so good batch with it.
so where do you get your fruit for your wine?
bingybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #7

When I lived in apple country in Lehigh Valley PA, I would make a couple of carboys of apple and Seyval Blanc. I would warm the apple wine and spice it up a bit for Halloween. I always wondered why my home was popular with the adults but the kids not so much.
Old 10-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I make every type of beverage - wine, beer, mead, cider, maybe some other stuff too.
The nice thing about wine making is if it tastes bad you can always use it to make the "Other" stuff.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:27 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I used to do it a lot, last yr I sold off my 6 carboys and everything else to a budding winemaker.
It was fun, I used the kits and also did it from crushed grapes, and even just fresh apple juice.

It's a very popular in Canada as wine tends to be more expensive up there, but here in USA there is less incentive, since I can buy a bottle of Chardonnay or Savignon at Aldi's for ~$3 including the tax.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 05:39 AM   #10

It is an intoxicating hobby in more ways than one.

DW and I have enjoyed wine for over 35 years, as well as food. Both compliment each other.

I have made wine from fresh fruit, frozen fruit, juice, kits, concentrate, local grapes, California grapes, Chilean grapes, South African grapes and Italian juice. It has been said around the house that if anything doesn't keep moving around the house, it will end up in a fermentor!

Often our travel plans include stops at vineyards, trade shows/conferences, and wineries. I spend a minimum of 2 hours a day tending to my rewarding obsession.
I also volunteer/help local wineries.

It's a hobby that can take you in so many directions, from a curiosity phase to all out attempts to make the finest wine in the land. It depend on commitment, desire, and budget.

If anybody wants any info, help, or advice feel free to PM me.

I do brew beer but not so much.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:21 AM   #11

IMG_1312.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

just a little bit.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:24 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
+2
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

I'm interested in trying making some wine. Any suggestions on a starter wine kit?
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 07:39 AM   #14

For the Experts, I started my 5 gal fermenting 4 days ago.

After 2 Days, Airlock Bubbled about once every second obvious froth on the top.
After 3 Days, airlock bubbled at about once every 2 secs, no froth just small bubbles on top.
today it is once every 3 secs or so, is that normal?

I am going to check PH and rack it on the 7th day, is there anything else I need to add?

Also I am shooting for 13 - 14% Alcohol, what is the best way to terminate fermenting?

TIA
Old 10-31-2016, 09:18 AM   #15

Are you hoping to get a dry wine? What variety of wine is it?

Your final Alcohol % will be a function of what the Brix (sugar concentration) was before fermentation started, and how dry you can get it.

You can't really know if you are done based upon bubbles. You need a decent hydrometer to measure the progress of fermentation.
Have you visited any of the internet sources for winemaking information? There are a couple of really good ones, and some pretty bad ones.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:29 AM   #16

Quote:
Are you hoping to get a dry wine? What variety of wine is it?

Your final Alcohol % will be a function of what the Brix (sugar concentration) was before fermentation started, and how dry you can get it.

You can't really know if you are done based upon bubbles. You need a decent hydrometer to measure the progress of fermentation.
Have you visited any of the internet sources for winemaking information? There are a couple of really good ones, and some pretty bad ones.
PH at start was 1.100

I guess, a question would be When it stops bubbling is it done? AND if it does not stop after I reach my % goal how do I stop it from fermenting before Bottling?

Yes, Read a lot.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
PH at start was 1.100

I guess, a question would be When it stops bubbling is it done? AND if it does not stop after I reach my % goal how do I stop it from fermenting before Bottling?

Yes, Read a lot.

I think you are confusing pH with the specific gravity. When fermentation is done, you will have a bunch of CO2 in the wine which will also make it bubble some. Is this a red or a white?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:43 AM   #18

Quote:
I think you are confusing pH with the specific gravity. When fermentation is done, you will have a bunch of CO2 in the wine which will also make it bubble some. Is this a red or a white?
Yes sorry SG I meant.

Red wine. As mentioned I am going to check SG after 7 days when I rack it. If it is 13% I would like to Stop any additional fermentation. I cannot seem to find info on it that is consistent.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:21 AM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
The nice thing about wine making is if it tastes bad you can always use it to make the "Other" stuff.
And that would be vinegar, right? Right??

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 10:42 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
And that would be vinegar, right? Right??

-ERD50
Of course! What else could it be?